Laptops forum

General discussion

Inspiron 1501, battery problem, then bios draining battery

by paulc33 / July 14, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

About a year ago, past warranty now, I got an Inspiron 1501 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53 from dell.
It runs on Windows Xp home edition, sp2. 1 gb ram, 120gb hdd.

Now the problem started as a battery warning, the computer displayed at the beginning:

'WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery.

Press Any Key to Continue

Press <F2> 2 times to enter SETUP
Press <F12> and Any Key to enter Boot Menu'

Now I read several forums about this problem, such as letting the battery run down fully, and updating the bios.

The problem is, since I updated the bios, the above error message has gone, but the battery life has been drastically reduced. Half an hour with screen dimmed fully, compared to over 2 hours on full bright screen before the 'update'.

So could anyone help, I've tried rolling back the bios, with the returning battery error message, as I'd prefer a working battery over just a startup message, but this hasn't resulted in the original battery life.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inspiron 1501, battery problem, then bios draining battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inspiron 1501, battery problem, then bios draining battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the battery connector strips inside the laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2008 5:48 AM PDT

Check the battery connector strips inside the laptop.
Are they all intact? Clean? Present?

And does a new battery fix it?
Bob

Collapse -
They look fine.
by paulc33 / July 14, 2008 7:52 AM PDT

Well I haven't tested a new battery, it might be possible to get my hands on one in the near future, but I do not think a new battery is required. The connector strips are all present, clean and not broken. I've only had the laptop just over the year, and the majority of that time, the laptop has been plugged into the mains, which apparently damages the battery less than constantly using the battery.

Plus the drop in battery capacity was sudden not gradual. Also it coincided with the bios change.

Collapse -
I looked at Dell's manual and was surprise to se...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2008 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: They look fine.

"300 Charges" on the battery's rating. This is why I asked if you tried a new Dell battery.

"Also it coincided with the bios change."

Is there a way to go back?

Bob

Collapse -
Um
by paulc33 / July 15, 2008 12:40 AM PDT

As I said, I managed to roll back the bios, to what it was originally, and the battery problem remains...

Collapse -
Then try a new Dell battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2008 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Um

Borrow, buy, etc. Remember there is a "chip" in that battery pack and these do expire. Did you catch that 300 charge life span in the documentation?

Collapse -
the battery is fine
by robertandri / February 1, 2011 12:04 AM PST

The 300 cicles expired but the cells still hod a charge... the only problem is the batery controller... so how do you fix that?

Collapse -
Said battery controllers are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2011 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: the battery is fine

Battery charging and control is on the motherboard so you get to replace the motherboard when that fails. NO ONE I KNOW repairs said boards.

As to beyond 300 cycles, that's common but imagine my surprise (none) when I install a new battery, calibrate it when needed and the problem vanishes.

What I see wrong today is the cost of a service counter that would test it with a fresh battery costs over one hundred and no owners seem to want to pay for that test.
Bob

Collapse -
Inspiron battery health
by antdu / August 13, 2008 2:30 AM PDT

I have a Dell Insiron E1505 and the battery have been causing me problems after the first year of use. I've contacted Dell (online support) at that time (junary 2008) and they updated my bios. So your problem with the bios update is no relevant for the battery health. I think the problem is with the battery cells. I've read on many forums that many complain about baterry made for dell, inspiron especialy.
So i think the main issue is at dell manufacturing.
If you have information that may help us solve the battery problems be kind and share it with us.
Best regards,
Andrew

Collapse -
Could it be the 300 cycles?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2008 3:07 AM PDT

That's hundreds less than other batteries.

Collapse -
Inspiron 1501, battery problem, then bios draining battery
by visityusuf / August 25, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Battery issue
by leeleec / September 18, 2009 3:38 AM PDT

I have been having the same problem, my laptop does not recognize the battery any more. I have 3 dell laptops, strangely with the same issue. Inspiron 9300, Inspiron 1501 & inspiron 1505. The 9300 was purchased 3 years ago, the 1501; 2 years ago & the 1505 1.5 years ago. all of them began saying that it could not recognize the battery about 1 year ago & all within a week of each other. All out of warranty already. Purchased a new battery for all 3. Still same issue. Bios up to date.
I find it very strange that this happened to all 3 within a weeks time!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.