TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

insignia any good?

by billzfan4life / January 21, 2007 8:00 AM PST

does anyone have any experience with an insignia tv? if so, how is the quality?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: insignia any good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: insignia any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only issue is......
by hyghwayman / January 21, 2007 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: insignia any good?

Remember what has been said many, many times before. " you get what you pay for "
With that said, my only exp. has been many months of research in showrooms adjusting and viewing every TV I could find a remote to. I have never seen a Insignia w/ a great picture( some had very good but not one had a great picture, no matter what I did to it)
Insignia TV's offer some nice features found on most other TV's for less. Why ? I can't really say, only quess!

Here is a link to Cnet review page listing insignia tv's:
http://reviews.search.com/search?q=insignia%20tv&nodeid=5&format=customlayout&channel=54&cat=312&mode=products&allfields=1&k=32376488&ob=edRating7

Keep digging around and you will find a much better TV for almost the same cost.
BTW, JVC is the brand I prefer. I hope this helps!

Happy Hunting,
hyghwayman

Helping others hear the TRUTH

Collapse -
(NT) Remote code for Insignia 32 inch is 10483 for Comcast
by embreed / March 8, 2008 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Only issue is......
Collapse -
So far so good with 4 insignias
by CCKitty / November 23, 2011 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Only issue is......

About 5 years ago I bought a 19" insignia for a bedroom - works great from day one.

Liked it so much I bought 2 26" TV-DVD combos for 2 other rooms (despite reviews of DVD player issues). One set works perfectly from day one - after a couple of years use, one of them refused to eject DVD. Was able to fix this on my own by searching internet - required essentially unplugging and holding eject button on reboot.
They both still work great.

Bought 32" TV-DVD combo last year for family room. Works great from day one.

All choices were made due to low price consideration. I'm happy with them.

Collapse -
HONESTLY, I'D KEEP SHOPPING...........
by Riverledge / January 21, 2007 9:25 AM PST

From my understanding they are not a wise choice. Someone told me that they are just a house-brand for BEST BUY. God knows who really makes them. I'd avoid "insignia" like the plague!

river.

Collapse -
Ive got one
by HinoOokami / June 9, 2007 7:31 PM PDT

Insignia is made by Osram Sylvania which is owned by SIEMENS. As for the quality 4 in 10 of the Westinghouse version of this are returned due to lag of remote, High failure rates causing the lcd to shut off and other claims. 1 in 10 of the Insignia are returned due to Dead on arrival. Personally i have the 32 inch Insignia and love it and it gets alot of use. However if your going to buy this get the extended warranty just in case.

Collapse -
I have one too!
by hatman49 / June 19, 2007 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Ive got one

I have a store floor model that does not have a remote and need the Comcast cable code for this set. Any idea what it may be?

Also, shortly after we brought the set home, upon turning on the set, the entire screen is filled with lines that gradually soften and then the picture clarity comes back until it is turned off. This usually takes about 5 minutes for the picture to return to normal. Have you experienced this?

Collapse -
Comcast remote code
by melfanie / October 21, 2007 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I have one too!

I have the 42" HD Insignia TV, and I love it. We got it about 8 months ago, and the price was excellent. I was a little afraid because of the price, but we've had no problems, and the HD Picture is excellent. As for the Comcast remote, try using code 0463. It took some searching, but after going through about an hour of codes, I finally found this one that works this morning. Hope it helps. Happy

Collapse -
comcast remote for insignia tv
by zemb / January 9, 2008 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Comcast remote code

thank you for the comcast remote code but I need a 5 digit number for my comcast remote........does anyone have this?

Collapse -
insignia tv code no.
by proud2bcanadian / November 12, 2008 2:03 PM PST

code#00463

I got a deal on an Insignia TV from future shop going along with getting another tv.
I found it pretty good at first. Picture is clear and still is after a 2 years later. There has been a problem with the remote control, it stopped working. I ended up getting another, exactly like the original, (after getting an universal remote, which didnt'work).I find the design for turning on the tv, buttons to pretty cheap. The little tiny push buttons on the bottom of the corner of the television I find hard to control, when the remote stopped working. It was quite a challenge to turning off the tv and turning it on.
After buying the remote (an Insignia remote control)...well, its not working again. Checking the batteries, putting in every batter in teh house, new ones, old ones etc. and again dealing with the buttons on the tv to turn it on is now NOT working period. I am finding it very frustrating.
Oh the sound on its not that great.

So just my opinion, or experience with this brand of tv. If I was to get a tv again, I would be getting a different brand, for sure... but since I can't, its okay for now.

Collapse -
I've got one too.
by Stuart A. Townes / February 25, 2008 3:57 AM PST

My wife bought the Insignia 32" TV about a year ago and from day one the channel up/down buttons never worked on the set or the remote. Has any one else had that problem? I suspect something was not set up correctly at the factory but I don't know how to fix it. Out side of that I have no complaints about the set.

Collapse -
up/down channel buttons
by laparsley / October 27, 2008 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I've got one too.

My brother had a Vizio that at first seemed to have the same problem with the up/down channel button, both on the remote and the set. We found that we had not performed the set up correctly and after we did, including the channel search option, the buttons worked correctly. We had to first allow the tv to search all available channels and then the up/down function would work. Even though it's not the same brand you might give it a try.

Collapse -
Need Remote Control For HDTV 32" Black Insignia TV
by zing37 / January 19, 2009 4:33 AM PST

Hi Guys

Please help me to find a remote for the above mentioned TV. SKU Is 7279198. BTW I own the TV too and never had any problems......

Collapse -
Insignia Problems.
by mullins1921 / January 14, 2008 1:42 AM PST

I just bought an Insignia 26" HDTV Flat Panel and found that after setting it all up there are some significant problems with it that can't be solved by the support people in Argentina. This is the Insignia NS-LCD26A that is sold only in Best Buy. Best Buy has some company in China make it. Ok - here's the problem. When I change channels, this rather large rectangular box pops up and gives me all this info that I could care less about. All it does is interfere with my viewing pleasure. It blocks what I am trying to see. Yes it does disappear and you can make it go away manually but I shouldn't have to do this. Best Buy and their friends in Argentina told me that I would have to accept the TV's characteristics as is. Best Buy could not give me the phone number of an Insignia person in the USA. MMM. I asked them if they had an Insignia TV in their corporate headquarters. They said no. They do have nice volleyball courts in MN and their new headquarters really looks slick but if Insignia is going to be their house brand they really need to check it out before selling it. For now - I would not recommend this TV.

Collapse -
Best Buy took care of me
by mullins1921 / February 8, 2008 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Insignia Problems.

Due to some unsolvable problems with the 26 inch Insignia I took it back to Best Buy and to my pleasant surprise I was able to upgrade to a new LG with no questions asked. It took about 20 minutes to bring the Insignia to returns and then pick out a new LG. Great service from Best Buy but would never buy an Insignia again as long as they have the problem with the black box appearing every time you change channels.

Collapse -
lol
by cassyb34 / December 8, 2009 12:49 PM PST

you did end up with another Insigna... They are made by LG. How's that for service?

Collapse -
Insigna tvs
by cassyb34 / December 8, 2009 12:46 PM PST

I've had a 42" plasma for a couple years now, it has never worked properly from the get go, however i feel pretty lucky it hasn't died yet, and what doesn't work, isn't needed. with that said, Insigna is made by LG, it is a very base model, and in the past, LG, or Lucky Goldstar, has never made a good electronic product, and i sold electronics for 10 years, they did however have the number one REPAIR rate... Samsung is the way to go

Collapse -
insignia tv
by macmad / January 17, 2010 1:51 AM PST

this tv is made for best buy, by lg and vizio which are very good tvs i use a 26" for my pc monitor and the color is fantastic 5mm response time for gamers

Collapse -
MR. BILL NO NEED TO BUY OFF BRAND
by stewart norrie / January 21, 2007 11:38 AM PST

Major brand excellent quality t.vs are selling at such affordable prices there is no reason to buy off brand New hi-def t.v. should last for many years of trouble free operation and is truly an excellent investment. Why settle for horrible picture quality also who is going to repair it if it needs it. steweee

Collapse -
not hd
by billzfan4life / January 22, 2007 4:39 AM PST

i dont want hdtv. i meant for crt tv

Collapse -
how about JVC
by billzfan4life / January 22, 2007 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: not hd

is that a good brand for tv's?

Collapse -
JVC is a VERY Good...
by hyghwayman / January 22, 2007 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: how about JVC
Collapse -
I've had a 13" for 2 years
by AmIDumbOrWot? / January 18, 2008 2:42 PM PST
In reply to: not hd

I have an Ingignia 13" analog tube TV with built in DVD. The image quality has been and is excellent. I'm a TV producer of 30 years, and I do know what the image is supposed to look like. The only negatives are that there aren't proper DVD controls on the remote or TV, so that's a pain, and I watch with and without headphones plugged in, and I've worn the TV's jack so it's unreliable. So, $90 for 2 years and the jack goes isn't great, but big deal. I'm quite happy with it, and it's on all the time.

Collapse -
because
by woodygg / February 6, 2008 10:25 AM PST

it's not a horrible picture...

Collapse -
insignia any good?
by modom120 / February 13, 2007 8:50 PM PST

I purchased a insignia in Nov. 2005 by May 2006, I was having problems with the TV powering on. It was off and on for a couple of weeks, tried to reach customer service with not much help. By June, I was fed up and requested a tech. As soon as the tech from Best Buy saw the TV, He said "Oh No, not one of those (by the way it was a 37" LCD HDTV), he attempted a few things with no luck, he couldn't even determine if it was the power supply or what. He said he was going to order a new power supply (not sure if it would work) and to call Best buy when it came in, it should delivered in about 3-4 days. After a week, it didn't show up, I call tech support, they told me it was on back order for a month, I called back after a month and a half, they then told me that the part would not be in until Sept. I told tell that I know longer wanted the TV, because of the poor cust service and the fact that this is a known problem and the reason for the part being on backorder so long was due to the numerous defective TVs that existed. At the same time I reached out to the BBB to report this issue. Best Buy tech/cust support told me that the had 90 days to correct the problem before they would exchange the TV. On the 86th day they sent the part, I can the tech to replace the part. When the tech got to me house to replace the part, he told me that they sent the wrong part! The trick in this was they "sent" a part to take this problem out of the 90 days and to get the BBB off thier back. They tech had compassion enough to end this four month ordeal and gave me a reciept to exchange the TV...After over 15-20 calls, emails and four months without a TV, that was less than 6 monrh old...I was finally out of this bad experience

Collapse -
Best buy is meh
by HinoOokami / June 9, 2007 7:37 PM PDT

the older 37 inch models had issues with the power pack and a few other problems. from what i have been able to tell the issues have been ironed out in the latest released ones. Ill admit i have not been to happy with best buy as in order to fix my computer they would have to send it out for 3 weeks... so they could replace the motherboard... which is funny as i can do it here in 5 minutes if they send me the part.

Collapse -
BEST ADVICE IS AVOID THIS BRAND LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!........
by Riverledge / June 10, 2007 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Best buy is meh

DO NOT BE TAKEN BY THESE GUYS! OR MANY OTHER FAMOUS SOUNDING TV's.
SYLVANIA, WESTINGHOUSE, POLAROID, and EMERSON. THESE old names can be
bought on-line. One, off brand I can (bearly) reccomend is VIZIO.

BUY SMART,
River.

Collapse -
Problems with IInsignia - not buying this brand again
by jle4 / August 18, 2007 1:34 AM PDT

After owning an Insignia 30" Flat panel HDTV for 18 mths., I had what the BB service man called a "pin cushion or bowing" problem. As I did not purchase a service contract, they could not replace tv. They also did not have the part to replace defective element. He said that they would have to replace, what I think he called the whole modulator panel?, as they did not stock the individual parts. They did not have that in stock, and therefore could not fix. The next day, I lost the picture completely. Very disappointed in reliability of BB products and service. Not sure who can service this tv, and am very concerned about the cost. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Collapse -
-
by jonnybones / August 18, 2007 8:22 AM PDT

Most major retailers do not fix the problems in store. You often have to ship them to a central location where they do repair. Replacement parts are rarely kept in-store (for tvs and audio equipment at least). I would suggest a local TV repair shop. They are few and far between now but if you can find one that works on LCD's then thats probably your best bet. If you can get this to work, great, but my guess is that you are probably going to have to buy a new tv. Repair shops that actually work on LCD's often service only the most popular brands (sony, samsung, sharp etc,) They probably wont service off brands like Insignia.

Collapse -
cost?
by steve051 / August 18, 2007 9:24 AM PDT

You explained the BB service repair and what was the estimate?
Most manf. have turned to board level(module) repair parts only, on all HDTV TVs recently made. Component level parts(Transistors, resistors, etc.) for yours may be available, but BB tech may, or may not be instructed to only use modules on repairs.
It costs you less if they repair to component level; it costs them more.
If you live near a BB AND a local repair shop, it's likely some local shops will service an Insignia because they've got calls from people like you b4.
You could call some and ask what an estimate costs, and if they have worked on these to component level.

Collapse -
Thanks, suggestion sounds right on
by jle4 / August 19, 2007 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: cost?

You are right Steve, serviceman said that they repair on Module level only, and that it might take months before one was in stock,and that he did not know the cost. The service call alone, is $100 (which he waived). I really appreciate your thoughtful reply , as I now know what questions to ask a repair shop. I will post the results for the benefit of other Insignia owners. Thanks again, Yucca

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.