Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Insert new pages without affecting existing pagination?

by chillowack / April 3, 2007 7:37 AM PDT

How do you insert additional pages into a MS Word document without affecting the existing pagination?

In other words, I have a 161-page paginated document, and I want to insert a non-paginated section in the middle. I want the pagination before and after the non-paginated section to remain consecutive, as it is now. (Am I making sense?)

This is probably really easy to do, but I thank whoever comes up with the solution first, because you're smarter than I am! Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Insert new pages without affecting existing pagination?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Insert new pages without affecting existing pagination?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not sure it is so easy to do.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 3, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

You can use a "manual page break" to insert a new page, but whether this will upset the rest of the paginated pages I am not sure.

To insert a page break;

Click where you want to start a new page.
On the Insert menu, click Break.
Click Page break.

I've not tested this on a document with a large number of pages, so if you are going to try it, save the document with some other name first, and test it on that. In case it doesn't work! Happy

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
on the right track
by chillowack / April 3, 2007 8:31 AM PDT

I think you're on the right track: it's something to do with a page break or a section break or something.

But there's still something missing.

Collapse -
Cheat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2007 8:25 AM PDT

Add the pages to the end and reshuffle them after it's printed out.

Done.

Bob

Collapse -
if only it were that easy
by chillowack / April 3, 2007 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Cheat.

Hehe...

This document is not going to be printed out.

But thanks for trying!

Collapse -
Cheat again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

Put it into a PDF but shuffle the pages with PDF tools.

Bob

Collapse -
this might work
by chillowack / April 3, 2007 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Cheat again.

This might work, since it's going to be a .pdf document anyway. I don't yet know the "shuffling tools" you refer to, but I will look into it.

Thanks!

Collapse -
You need Section Breaks then new header
by ChuckT / April 3, 2007 9:43 AM PDT

If you want to temporarily discontinue the page numbering, so as to have un-numbered pages somewhere in the middle, you need to insert a Section Break, the 'Next Page' type. That new section can have its own numbering sequence, perhaps even no numbering - whatever you want.

Then, after you finish inserting whatever middle portion you want, and now you want to pick the page-numbering up where you left off (prior to the inserted pages) you just then insert another Section Break, again a Next Page type, and set the format of the page numbering to start at whatever number that makes sense.

Collapse -
getting closer
by chillowack / April 3, 2007 10:34 AM PDT

This is actually what I'm trying to do, only I haven't yet figured out the "no numbering" feature. How do you insert non-paginated pages without un-paginating the rest of the document?

Thanks!

Collapse -
When in the Section 2 header, there is a control
by ChuckT / April 3, 2007 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: getting closer

When in the Section 2 header, the control bar there will have a "Link to Previous" button, click or double-click that button. You should be asked if you want to discontinue from the previous header.

To pick the numbering back up, and now in the Section 3 header, you start the numbering sequence with any number you want.

Collapse -
"Link to Previous"?
by chillowack / April 3, 2007 11:43 AM PDT

I see no "Link to Previous" button in the Header. I see a "Same as Previous" button, is that what you mean?

When I clicked on it, it didn't ask me anything.

Maybe it's a different version of MS Word?

Collapse -
Try it
by ChuckT / April 3, 2007 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: "Link to Previous"?

I have Word 2003 here, so some buttons and labels may be different, but the results will probably be nearly identical. If you click on it I would surmise that the link between the previous section and this one will be broken. Being broken means that you can then define that section's header differently than the previous.

You will want to do the same sort of action at the 3rd section break, so that you can resume the page count again, from the number at the end of section 1.

I just checked on Word 2002, and as you say, the same function is called "Same as Previous" but one click on it breaks the duplication of the data of that previous header with this one. At the top, right of the Header frame you will see the words "Same as Previous" go away when you do one click. And they'll re-appear when you click the same button again.
(Come on, it is the same idea with just a couple different words. Try and read past some differences here.)

Last, when you come to the point of wanting to restart your page numbering of that {page number} field, you just select the "Format Page Number" button, also in the Header and Footer control bar. (It is called the same thing in Word 2002 and Word 2003.) There you set what number to start with and format you want (such as numeric, or lettered, or even Roman Numerals, and more).

Collapse -
Re: inserting pages
by Kees Bakker / April 3, 2007 6:17 PM PDT

The quick (but not general) way:
- Add a section-start-on-new-page break.
- After that, add the new pages, without pagenumbers in the footing, of course.
- After that, add a new section-start-on-new-page break.
- In that last section, set the pagenumber-to-start-with manually to what you want it to be (i.e. the last pagenummer from before the new section + 1) via Insert>Pagenumbers. For a somewhat more general solution, subtract the number of pages you inserted in stead of having a fixed page number, as shown in BIG Idea #7 in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Got it! Thank you guys so much
by chillowack / April 4, 2007 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: inserting pages

Thanks to help from Chuck and Kees, I finally figured this problem out. Yeah!

It turned out I needed to click off "Same as Previous" for not just one section, but every section connected with the new page insertion (as per Big Idea #5 in the FAX Kees sent me).

At the same time, when Word asked what page number I wanted to start paginating the inserted section with, I simply deleted the number (they should create a "no numbers" option for future versions of Word).

For awhile, a "1" kept popping up in the footer of the new section. I deleted this, which came within an ace of winning; but then for some reason the pagination on the following section leaped over to left-alignmment (whereas I'd had it in the center). I solved this by clicking "Same as Previous" for the following section, and then manually centering the page number in the footer (Format Page Number doesn't have an Alignment option). And then: success!

Thank you guys so much for your help, I don't know if I could have done this without you! I will thank you both in the Acknowledgements section of my book. Wink

Collapse -
I'm glad you solved it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 4, 2007 7:11 PM PDT

Even though my own suggestion failed miserably, Devil

Well done.

Mark

Collapse -
thank you!
by chillowack / April 5, 2007 8:28 AM PDT

On the contrary, Mark: you started the ball rolling on the right track. Well done and thanks! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.