Computer Help

General discussion

Input not supported on my monitor, any ideas to fix it?

by poss0289 / July 2, 2009 3:28 AM PDT

My computer has been working fine until one day last week when I tried to open internet explorer and it worked for a minute and then I got this grey box with the words "input not supported" floating around my screen. My computer is about 5 years old, but it is still pretty fast and it suits me. I thought I needed another monitor so I bought one (Acer)and when I tried to open internet explorer it did the same thing. Dumb me for buying the monitor...lol

I took some advise and I updated my video card (Dvidia) and downloaded internet explorer 8.0 and it seemed to work, but after two days the infamous "input not supported" box came back up. The computer works fine otherwise, I can even access the internet through the AOL icon and it works fine, it only happens when I open internet explorer. If anyone has experianced this or knows how to fix this please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Input not supported on my monitor, any ideas to fix it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Input not supported on my monitor, any ideas to fix it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Youre not the only one.
by Kees Bakker / July 2, 2009 3:42 AM PDT
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-54867_29_0.html
http://www.fixya.com/support/t181095-input_not_supported
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/other-hardware-support/173811-acer-1916wab-monitor-input-not-supported.html

and a lot more links from http://www.google.com/search?q=acer+%22input+not+supported%22

It seems the videocard is giving a signal the monitor doesn't like.

It's not clear what "updated my videocard" means: updated the driver, replaced the fan, bought a new one?
Anaway, I'd start with changing the settings until you find something that works. If it doesn't work at all, it's time for a new videocard. Or a more accepting monitor.

Kees
Collapse -
How to fix "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED"
by Airidas0612 / June 15, 2012 9:38 PM PDT

To Fix This Problem You Need To Restart Your Computer And When Computer Booting Up You Need To Press F-8
And Then Select Enable VGA Mode. Your Computer Fixed Happy

Collapse -
what isthe vga mode
by antdel1980 / August 5, 2012 11:42 AM PDT

i am trying to do that but i cant even find that ., and it works on an old monitor but it doesnt work on my new monitor but it was working fine when i just got it and i dont know why but a change the monitor resolution and thats when the problem started on my new monitor hp x20led

Collapse -
Safe mode VGA
by bikejumpjed / December 4, 2012 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: what isthe vga mode

Brilliant made, thanks.

Collapse -
THANKS!!!
by rogerbruton / November 2, 2013 11:50 PM PDT

***MANY*** thanks for that!! Isn't the internet great?!?!?

Collapse -
Input Not Supported on Monitor
by IdoResearch / July 14, 2013 10:33 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my Rosewill R912E 17 inch VGA / DVI monitor. Thought it was a 'driver' issue as others had said. Didn't think it was since I was running Windows 7 64 bit. Found a link to the driver, but W7 rejected it. The answer is simple. The monitor was set to 85 Hz. Not sure why. I reset the monitor to 75 Hz and the floating message "Input Not Supported" immediately went away. Try resetting your Monitor to a lesser frequency. No reboot or driver or software needed.
I Do Research

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.