Samsung forum

General discussion

Info needed on rear projection HL50(56)A650

by wlreiter / November 18, 2008 2:51 AM PST

Mr Samsung,

Your rear projection TV's come highly rated, but I have several questions:

1. Is Samsung continuing its line of RPTV's or will you stop production?
2. What is the difference(s) between your HL61A750 and the HL50(56)A650 (other than screen size)?
3. Can I expect the same picture quality from the HL50(56)A650 as the HL61A750?
4. What type of bulb/lamp is used in the HL50(56)A650? How long should the lamp last, and what is the cost of a replacement?
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Info needed on rear projection HL50(56)A650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Info needed on rear projection HL50(56)A650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your answers.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 18, 2008 8:00 AM PST

Wlreiter,

1. I can't speak to the future production of rear projection televisions. I honestly don't know for sure what we have planned for next year and I just can't speak to what I do know. I will say that the market for RPTVs are declining, as that's not a company secret, but an industry known measurable variable. However, we're still introducting new technology in the units we make, and the price point for those units are very popular, and the picture is solid. We will be continuing support for the units, as well as parts, to the best of my knowledge if we were to stop producing those units.

That said, DLP is the fastest technology available today, offers a potential limitless gaming experience with 3-D ability, and is the only technology that suffers 0% possibility of burn-in or screen retention. Samsung was the first to market with DLP, and we've been consistently a leader in DLP Technology.

2. The main difference is that the A650 Series has a mercury-based lamp engine, and the A750 has an LED based lamp engine. The A650 series lamps are easily replacable by you, and will last about 6000 hours before half-life (3-5 years, very high usage to low usage). The A750 will last about 30,000 hours half-life (half-life means half of the brightness from day 1), but requires a service call to replace the LED lamp engine. I'll list out the two spec sheets here for your review, and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

A650: http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2008/03/26/hl50a650c1fxza/hl50a650_spec.pdf

A750: http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2008/03/26/hl61a750a1fxza/hl61a750_spec.pdf

3. The picture quality is comparable, but from two different technologies. The best determination is what you think looks better.

4. The cost of lamps:

50A650: $149.99
http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp?searchflag=byonemodel&searchkey=HL50A650&modelid=520190

56A650: $149.99
http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp?searchflag=byonemodel&searchkey=HL56A650&modelid=520191

61A750: Not listed, as it is a service-only part.
http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp?searchflag=byonemodel&searchkey=HL56A650&modelid=520191

You're welcome! Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
ready to buy, but....
by oncyomosis / November 20, 2008 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Your answers.

Thanks Mr Samsung,

A few follow up questions to help me plan:

- do you know if Samsung plans to introduce a LED DLP < 61"? I am planning on buying the HL50A650 due to screen size, but may hold off if the LED technology would be available in 50" or 56".

- has Samung discontinued production of the HL50A650? I see that vendors are running out of stock and am not sure if it is their own business decision to stop carrying this product.

- will Samsung introduce a new DLP model in 2009?

- regarding exetnded warranties - can I purchase the extended warranty direct from Samsung and, if so, how (Samsung website, vendor I purchase the TV, etc.) and does Samsung have an extended warranty with bulb replacement? Any comment on the 3rd party extended warranties (e.g. Geek Squad) and Samsung's authorization of such?

- how do I know if a vendor is an authorized Samsung dealer? Is there a list on the Samsung website?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Collapse -
No problem - a few answers:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 22, 2008 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: ready to buy, but....

Okay, here are a few answers to your questions.

1. There is a 61 and a 67" available today. Here is a link to our current lineup:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/subtype/subtype.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=dlptv

2. I don't believe we have discontinued production of the HL50A650. Of course, that is subject to change, but at this time, I'm not aware of such a development.

3. I can't speak to new models. I don't know. Even if we introduce them, retailers have to purchase them before you can purchase them. That goes for any product.

4. Extended warranties - I don't believe that there is an extended warranty program directly through Samsung, though I will check on that over the weekend. I can't comment on specific warranties, however, I will say that insuring this, or any investment, is always a good idea. We cover parts and labor for a year on most products, and extend that 3 months if you register the product online. There are some limitations in those warranties, but generally, people who have purchased the warranties are covered for a longer period of time, and they can absorb an expensive repair.

5. Most major retailers are Authorized Samsung dealers. If you want to shop online, there is an Authorized Samsung Dealer Logo to look for. If nothing else, you can ask a manager, and while they may be a dealer, you can ask directly if they are an Authorized Samsung Dealer.

Here is our online list of Authorized Dealers and a picture of the online logo:
http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmind/

Hope this helps.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.