Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Rant

IncrediMail - the deadly software

by peekaysinha / October 9, 2011 6:29 PM PDT

Incredimail has the nasty way to enter your PC, and mostly comes in while downloading a program from CNET. Surreptitiously a window pops in during the installation process that is pre checked with the option to download Incredimail. I was conscious yet yesterday, I missed that. This time it has entered my PC in such a way that I just can't get rid of it. If CNET is part of this operation, I would rather opt out of my choice of CNet as my best tech advisor. Can someone share ways to deal with this problem? Appreciate and thanks very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IncrediMail - the deadly software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IncrediMail - the deadly software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removing IncrediMail
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 9, 2011 10:04 PM PDT

In order to try to "recreate" what happened, I would have to know what program you originally intended to install. My guess is, you might have mistakenly clicked on an ad for IncrediMail. IF that was the case, and IF IncrediMail is pre-checked by default, it has nothing to do with CNET. But again, without knowing what you originally wanted to install, I can't say anything for sure.

As far are removing it. You haven't told us which operating system you're using. Have you tried accessing their uninstaller by going to Start > Programs> IncrediMail> Uninstall IncrediMail?

Kindly see the remainder of "Uninstall Instructions" at IncrediMail's site. The site is perfectly safe to visit! Additionally, see these instructions.

If you tried the above without success, I would further suggest using the (free) Revo Uninstaller.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Incredimail - Its dangerous to call it safe!
by peekaysinha / October 10, 2011 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing IncrediMail

Thanks Carol for responding. Let me however put that in perspective:

Collapse -
'The site is safe **to visit** ' ..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 10, 2011 5:28 AM PDT

Prabhat..

Thanks for explaining what your experience has been. It surely does sound like a nightmare.

In an attempt to find out "how and why" IncrediMail presented itself, I asked what you originally downloaded. I was prepared (and still am) to do the same.

My ultimate goal, was ( and still is) to find out for myself what happened and then share it with the Download.com team. In fact, that's why the Download.com Feedback Site was created.

Only to make one thing clear. I never stated the software was safe. I provided a link to their uninstall instructions, citing the site was safe "to visit". If it weren't, the numerous security measures I have set in place, would have prevented me from going there. IncrediMail used to be considered adware. I know nothing about its present state, but have all intentions of finding out.

In an effort to move forward, I think it's important you report your experience at the above mentioned forum. To reiterate, I would gladly attempt to retrace your steps, if I knew where you started.

In the meantime, I would suggest scanning with the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, to make sure there are no other "unwanted visitors".

As I side note. You mentioned (#3) you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Then stated you downloaded Avast. IF you have both installed, are you aware Microsoft strongly suggests against installing a second antivirus? Please read (#3), at their "Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials". It's a generally accepted rule, but they make a point of stressing it.

Let us know how you make out..
Carol

Collapse -
Mind if I intrude?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2011 5:30 AM PDT

Hi Prabhat,

I've read and re-read your posts but I am confused about the reference to CNET. Are you saying that you downloaded a file from CNET and this Incredimail software was added?

If so, was this a download from CNET's Download.com?

Let us know so this can be taken further if a Download.com file is involved. Can you provide the Download.com web pages for the software you were previewing prior to downloading?

CNET has begun using a secure installer for its Download.com download files and this installer does have an option to download one additional utility. Users can opt out of this if they wish. However it would surprise me if one of the titles offered was a full application like Incredimail, but then we are not involved with that side of CNET.

Did you know that CNET members can use the "Direct download" option for Download.com files, thus avoiding CNET's Installer?

Regards.

Mark

Collapse -
Sorry, I see Carol has responded as well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2011 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Mind if I intrude?

My post adds some information, but Carol's is far better.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.