Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Incredimail - safe to use?

by nondaj / November 16, 2003 6:32 AM PST

This site has many lovely features to enhance one's email. Is it safe to use? Have heard conflicting ideas about this issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Incredimail - safe to use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Incredimail - safe to use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Incredimail - safe to use?... BANNED at the office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2003 6:49 AM PST

And home, lab and such.

Why? The software leaks information to it's home site.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Incredimail - safe to use?... BANNED at the office.
by nondaj / November 16, 2003 7:13 AM PST

Thank you Robert - will avoid the program like a plague.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Incredimail - safe to use?... BANNED at the office.
by Willy / November 17, 2003 12:05 PM PST

Here's another tip, for all those bells and whistles to work it uses alot of system resources. So that makes it a system hog, but the results can be highly liked. As for being a "data miner" a pgm. that returns info back to the maker, that's an open sore, but it seems to be addressed, look at www.cexx.com for a clue. Also, if you do install then check your SpyBot or Ad-Aware(got them?) scans to see what maybe logging, if IncrediMail is up to old tricks, then uninstall it.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Incredimail - Tricks? No, they just tell you....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2003 8:37 PM PST

"Users, including without limitation, Users in the European Union, fully understand and unambiguously consent to the collection and processing of their personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information, in the United States."
http://www.incredimail.com/english/fullprivacy.html

Right there, in about as plain English as it gets, they reveal that they collect and "process" it all and you give them that right.

My choice? BANNED.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Incredimail - Tricks? No, they just tell you....
by Willy / November 20, 2003 9:40 PM PST

I've read many a EULA just to see what's really there when I had the time, but you "know" alot of people don't and just click pass it, me included. Even if a vendor is fair about collecting data, once that data is available you have no control over it besides the EULA, its just one pitfall. I got rid of Incredmail after it seemed to slow down my system so bad, it was gone in 3-days. I only knew later what it was doing and was more happy about the decision. just my 2-cents -----Willy

Collapse -
Re:Incredimail - safe to use?
by Morpheus / November 20, 2003 4:52 PM PST

I have been a happy incredimail user for about 2 years now... The only problem is their seems to be no spam protection plug ins

Collapse -
HOW DO I EDIT PDF FILES
by Joanna Brown / November 12, 2008 7:48 AM PST

I GET MANY FORMS MAILED TO ME AND THEY ARE IN PDF FILES I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO FILL THESE OUT AND THEN RETURN OR PRINT WHICH EVER THE CASE MAY BE.
I HAVE BEEN GETTING DOCTORS FORMS BY THE SCORE MORE OR LESS. AND I WANT TO SCAN THEM INTO COMPUTER AND FILL THESE OUT. BUT SCANNED INTO WORD DOES NOT WORK IT IS JUMBLED AND A MESS. NOTE PAD THE SAME BUT I CAN PRINT A PDF FILE JUST FINE, NOW I NEED TO FILL OUT INFO. CAN ANY ONE OUT THERE HELP THIS OLDIE BUT NEWBIE. 79 YEARS YOUND.
JOANNA BROWN

Collapse -
You Can't ....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 12, 2008 8:46 AM PST

PDF files are created per the maker's wishes. If the PDF file is locked/read-only, then you can't unlock it.. ON the other hand, there is an option to create a PDF file which is editable by the end user. (A few companies use them as online forms which can be filled out and submitted, as in job applications.) Still, it must be created that way from the start.. The end user can't change it, unless, possibly that have the full and complete Adobe Acrobat program which costs a few hundred dollars.(NOT the Adobe Reader).

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
IS INCREDIMAIL SAFE
by Joanna Brown / November 12, 2008 7:53 AM PST

I HAVE BEEN USING INCREDIMAIL FOR 8 -10 YEARS AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. SHOULD I HAVE A SNAG, I CONTACT THEM AND THEY GET RIGHT BACK WITH ME ABOUT WHAT I DID OR DID NOT DO.
HOPE THIS HELPS.

Collapse -
This Is a FIVE (5) Year Old Thread..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 12, 2008 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: IS INCREDIMAIL SAFE

I doubt if you'll get a response from the original poster.. You must have done a lot of searching to find this old thing.

Keep up the good work.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.