Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Incredimail Program

by primetime / November 11, 2005 4:26 AM PST

I have had and been happy with Incredimail for the last couple of years. The other day, I downloaded an upgrade and when I opened the program I noticed the Junk Filter was turned off. I clicked the button to turn it on and found out that it would cost me 40 bucks to turn it on. The pop up window told me that it was a new and improved Junk Filter Mechanism. So I paid the 40 bucks to get the JunkFilter turned on. Big, BIG mistake. They ruined a pretty good program and then Want you to pay 40 bucks A YEAR for this new & inproved JunkFilter that had my Inbox loaded with junk. Needless to say, I have requeated a refund.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Incredimail Program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Incredimail Program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can
by PudgyOne / November 11, 2005 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Incredimail Program

You can do the same things,for FREE, that Incredimail does using MOZILLA THUNDERBIRD. You can also do these things using Outlook Express. Incredimail has some type of spyware in it that Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express does't.

I prefer using Mozilla Thunderbird.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Incredimail
by primetime / November 12, 2005 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: You can

Thanks PudgyOne. Will try Thunderbird.

Collapse -
Some of the Goods and Bads of Incredimail
by Oldefoxx / January 23, 2010 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Incredimail

I help family and friends stay connected through IncrediMail. It is so rich in features they want nothing else. But it is not all to the good. On the pro side, even the free version is more than adequate for most users. Lots of visual and audio effects are included, and it readily displays the content of received emails that contain both. You do get more with the paid version, but not everyone needs or wants the extras.

There are a number of cons, or negatives. While you can import emails and address books from other email clients, they may it about impossible to go the other way. So once on IncrediMail, you are pretty much stuck with IncrediMail unless you want to start all over with your emails.

IncrediMail is definately unsecure. Anyone with access to your computer can get into your email, read it, do whatever they want with it, and that is just a given. But at the same time, if you set up IncrediMail on two or more PCs for the same account, there is no way provided to synchronize or merge what you might have on several machines. That can be a real hinderance.

There is a way to move all your email (I mean everybody's) from one PC to another, and it is pretty easy to do, and involves the words old computer and new computer. Trouble is, what you bring to the new computer will replace what you already have there in the same account names. No merge capability. No way to check for duplicates and rid yourself of the execess if you were to try manually to send everything over. And no way to forward a bunch of emails at once, you must do one at a time.

Address book is okay, to a point. You are suppose to have group mailing support, but to set up a group, like for a PTA or Church, you have to first enter all the names by hand into your main address portion, then transfer them over. You can't just enter a list or contents of an email header into a group.

The paid for version might be better in some of these respects, but how can you tell when no list of all the added features and improvements is provided?

Something else about IncrediMail. It bothers me when a source fails to provide a contact or address for the reporting of bugs and problems. So I end up putting a list of my own here in hopes that somebody somewhere will pay attention.

I hate writing an email response. Know why? Because Cut and Paste, or Copy and Paste, just don't work on either the text or the header portions. It says it should, but only if you go up under Edit and click on your choice. But if you try to transfer the addressees in a header, all the < and > actual address contents get lost when pasted into the outgoing To or CC fields. And you cannot cut or copy from an incoming email at all, you must initiate a reply and try there to even get that far.

What is common practice elsewhere is not common to IncrediMail, and that can be very frustragting. Oh, another thing. You are suppose to have insert and attach as two choices, insert means put in the text portion of your email. But on my last effort to do an insert, it just attached the file instead.

Collapse -
Incredimail Program
by faythisg / November 17, 2005 10:50 PM PST

I too have used Incredimail for years. I even purchased to become a "premium" user w/ no advertisments. I updated because I was having difficulty sending emails while surfing. After updating, the advertisements started...first the BIG BLUE SHIELD touting "JunkFilter Plus is OFF", in the folder file another reminder, and even at the very top of the email page. I wrote to them and they said they couldn't do a thing about it and advised me to use the $10 coupon and basically stop whinning. I purchased this program in good faith w/o advertisements. Other than closing out this service, is there anything else I can do. Oh, buy the buy, the original junk filter wasn't that good to begin with, now it seems I don't have anything at all. HELP!

Collapse -
Like I said before
by PudgyOne / November 18, 2005 6:13 PM PST

Like I said before

You can do everything that Incredimail does using Outlook Express or MOZILLA THUNDERBIRD and they are FREE.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
?
by Testy / November 29, 2005 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Like I said before

If you send a e-mail in OE with a backround and fancy fonts and the person to which you send it isn't using OE it just arrives as a regular e-mail with a attachment. I just gave up on all that.

Collapse -
Incredimail Program
by aztzu / December 11, 2005 2:58 PM PST

I also updated 2 days ago and lost my free junk mail folder. It worked great for me. But I only had to pay $25 to get the new junk mail filter. I wonder why you had to pay $40? Anyway the new junk mail filter is working great for me now. I love Incredimail and have no complaints about it. Barb

Collapse -
Incredimail Program
by aztzu / December 11, 2005 3:20 PM PST

I forgot to say. I belong to about 20 yahoo groups and between group mail and my personal mail, I get around 600 emails a day. And I get close to 100 spam. And every single one of the spam ones have always gone into my junk mail folder. Never a single one has gone into mt inbox. And as for Incredimail having spy way, I have 8 different anti spyware programs installed on my computer and I scan every night with each one of them. I have never gotten any spyware from my incredimail or any that other people send me. And 3/4 of the mail I receive is from incredimail users. I think they used to say with the free version you might get spyware. But I have the premium version. Barb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.