Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Incredi-mail

by ken west / June 7, 2007 11:58 PM PDT

Is Incredi-mail safe to use? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Incredi-mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Incredi-mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are lucky........ I tried it out...
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 8, 2007 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Incredi-mail

a couple of weeks ago. NO spyware, no nothing in it Happy

Collapse -
Thanks Marianna.
by ken west / June 8, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

I mean: is it secure like Outlook Express for viruses, privacy and such, when receiving e-mail?

Collapse -
Ken, your Anti Virus will scan incoming e-mails
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 8, 2007 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Marianna.

is that what you mean?

Collapse -
Also -
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 8, 2007 2:12 AM PDT

Make Previewing Mail More Secure in IncrediMail

To make previewing mail more secure in IncrediMail:

Select Tools | Options... from the menu.
Go to the Security tab.
Make sure Disable scripts and iFrames when loading messages is checked.
Click OK.

http://email.about.com/cs/incredimailtips/qt/et111003.htm

Collapse -
It can disable
by Donna Buenaventura / June 8, 2007 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Marianna.

scripts and iFrames when loading the messages

It has junk email filtering (if you have the plus subscription)
It can block external images that will verify your email address.

Other than the above, no other security settings. Use your security tools to protect your emails.

Collapse -
Thanks Donna & Marianna
by ken west / June 8, 2007 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: It can disable

now i know.

Collapse -
You're welcome
by Donna Buenaventura / June 8, 2007 2:21 AM PDT

Outlook Express has more options than Incredimail.
I only use if I want to send my friends and contacts a nice stationary, emoticons Wink

For other contacts, I use PocoMail, Windows Mail, OE or Outlook. Depends on which one I feel like using Grin

Collapse -
I have it for years now
by Donna Buenaventura / June 8, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

No spyware since day 1

Collapse -
RE Is Incredimail safe to use
by Ardy Mattox` / June 11, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

I've used Incredimail for several years. I haven't had any problems with security. I enjoy it a lot, using it for business as well as friends and family. Of course, with business I use 'business' letters or blank rather than busy picture letters.
I like the fact that they continue to improve their service and give lots of updates.

Collapse -
Thanks Ardy
by ken west / June 11, 2007 3:34 AM PDT

That's one more reason, for me, to enjoy Incredimail Happy

Collapse -
how do u get in touch with customer service?
by gswhite2010 / January 3, 2010 4:38 AM PST

can u post where u can get intouch with customer service, I been using incredimail for like 8 years and now my computer is not working properly and it wont download properly one. I cant get on incredimail and it wont down load right.. I get on other sites on it and its not the computer. I wonder what is wrong? can u post where to contact them there is nothing where i can contact them it wont open.. thx..

Collapse -
I found a contact
by roddy32 / January 3, 2010 5:28 AM PST

link using Google.

http://www.incredimail.com/english/contact.asp

I doubt if the original poster of this thread will respond to you. The thread is almost 3 years old. I do not use Incredimail myself so I can't help you with your problem.

Collapse -
Incredimail
by huttoca / June 11, 2007 3:28 AM PDT

I have been using it for years and love it. It is modeled after Outlook Express , but has great letter graphics--animations and emoticons. I have purchased the Premium and Gold packages---for more goodies.
Their tech support is great as well---a problem surfaced with IE7 and Incredimail and they were diligent in their efforts to remedy from their end. I was a Microsoft issue in the end.

I guess you can tell I like Incredimail.

Collapse -
Thanks Huttoca
by ken west / June 11, 2007 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Incredimail

i start to like incredimail as well

Collapse -
IncrediMail
by grandma / June 12, 2007 5:59 AM PDT

I have also been one that has been using IncrediMail for years. I bought both the Premium and Gold packages and have never had a problem. My experience with their customer service has been a good one. They have always gotten back to me promptly.

Everyone I know that I have sent e-mails to using IncrediMail have enjoyed the letter styles as well as the emoticons.

I have to admit that I was somewhat irritated when the junk filter was no longer available for free. One of the things that I really enjoy with the Premium are the Smart Notifiers. I always know who is sending me an e-mail and can choose to look right away or wait depending on who it is.

One thing that I will say about IncrediMail is that if you have downloaded a lot of letters, animations etc., it is a big resource hog.

Collapse -
INCREDIMAIL
by BUZZDIZZY / June 11, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

I HAVE USED INCREDIMAIL FOR YEARS AND LOVE IT. IT SAYS EVERYTHING. GRANTED I DID BUY THE PREMIUM PACKAGE AND IT WORKS JUST FINE NOW THAT MICROSOFT HAS UPDATED THEIR SOFTWARE. I RECOMMEND IT HIGHLY ALTHOUGH DON'T THINK THE GOLD WOULD BE WORTH MORE $

Collapse -
Incredimail is great
by cnetforum12 / June 11, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

Hi, I've been using it for years and liked it so much I bought it. There is a work around that I have done to replace their paid junkmail filter. Create a new folder call it Junk2 or Spam etc, go to Tools, Message Rules, Click on Add. Choose If "received from unapproved" move to "Junk" or "spam" or whatever you named your folder. (you'll have to click on the button to open your folder list to select the folder you created). Hope this helps :).

WB

Collapse -
don't buy it
by sharleneevans224 / June 11, 2007 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Incredimail is great

It works fine if you don't mind no customer support. I used it for years and everytime I had problems there customer support was horrible. I owned a paid copy and thought that I would get better support. I used to love incredimail but it's not worth the aggravation. Stay with outlook express or live mail.

Collapse -
Incredimail
by akapondscum / June 11, 2007 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: don't buy it

My experience with Customer Support has been different. Used a couple of times and was very good. I have the Premium and like it very much. I can Preview a message at my AT&T Yahoo mail without actually downloading it to Incredimail. Same for my messages at MSN-Hotmail and Gmail. Really good stationary. Their Magentic product offers really good wallpapers.

Collapse -
Incredimail Junk Folder
by leroydelabossanova / June 29, 2008 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Incredimail is great

Thanks for this tip.

Collapse -
Incredimail
by will_5050 / June 11, 2007 7:29 AM PDT

I have been using Incredimail for the past 4-5 years with no problems. I purchased the Premium program, however, I don't use Incredimail as my primary mail program, I use Outlook 2003 with the Incredimail for Outlook Plugin/addon . It works great and I really love it. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an email program to add a bit of "verve" to their emailing experience.

Collapse -
incredi-mail
by moccoo / June 11, 2007 8:51 AM PDT

I once downloaded it and had nothing but troubles with my computer.I got rid of it.

Collapse -
Read their EULA--if you have a few days!!!!
by GinaPA / June 11, 2007 9:25 AM PDT

Incredi-mail "says" it contains no adware or spyware--but just read their EULA and I guarantee you'll see it differently. Many computer techs will tell us that incredibly long user agreements such as Incredi-mail's should make all of us suspicious. I found this advice to be pretty accurate. I did take the time to read a large portion of Incredi-mail's EULA after I had read several warnings about it from reliable computer sources. Before long I came to believe that they try to make it long and confusing, in hopes we won't take the time to read all of it! But keep reading for awhile--and you'll learn why you should run the other way FAST (and thank goodness you still won't have to read ALL of it before you run)!

But don't take my word for it--Everyone using (or considering using) Incredi-mail really NEEDS to read their entire EULA--it says it all!.......Gina

PS.....This advice goes for any software you are considering installing in your computer as many companies use their own definitions to SAY, or should I say TWIST, something. But the fine print is where the details--and the truth--will surface!

Collapse -
Incredimail
by chauffeur2 / June 11, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

Although Incredimail looks quite harmless, read the EULA very carefully.
Incredimail DOES store personal information on their server in Israel where they originate from.
I used to use Incredimail, until I realised that the volume of 'junk' and S*P*A*M emails was due to them (Incredimail) 'selling' my email address information along with addresses of those that I had sent mail to.
Uninstalling Incredimail is very difficult too; the Add/Remove Programs (in XP) does not uninstall all of it; hence, it must be done from within the Registry Editor as well.
After supposedly uninstalling the program, and then delving into the Registry, I found another 39 associated entries to Incredimail, so much for this 'nice' "Free Version"!
I would not trust Incredimail as far as, (honesty and credibility is concerned) I could throw it!
Since completely removing this program, my 'junk and spam' emails have dropped from about 38 per day to zero.
I say, use Incredimail at your own peril.

Regards,
Dave T.

Collapse -
It does hurt user's recipients.
by GinaPA / June 11, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

Dave said:
>>>I used to use Incredimail, until I realised that the volume of 'junk' and S*P*A*M emails was due to them (Incredimail) 'selling' my email address information along with addresses of those that I had sent mail to.>>>

That would also make sense Dave, after everything I had learned about it. I forgot to mention this problem in my response so I'm glad you did. Incredimail already has the info they need for those who downloaded and installed it--but now that user hurts everyone to whom they send a message to because Incredimail then gathers their recipients' information. One thing I also do to protect myself is that I do not allow Outlook Express to open graphics in any of the forwarded messages I receive (unless I know the person it comes from does not use Incredimail). Some graphic ads contain code that can send personal info back to a company's home base. If you ever noticed, sometimes you see text where an ad or image will be located in a message--but Incredimail is totally hidden until your email program downloads the graphic ad--THAT alone makes their graphic ad look awfully suspicious to me!

Another good point you brought up that I failed to mention is that, although they are an American company, their home base is in Israel--a country that doesn't have the consumer protection laws this country does. Hmmmmm!?

I'll add one final thought.....Everyone who said Incredimail is a fine, harmless program really needs to go back and read the EULA. That's all anyone needs to do to learn the truth for themselves. But as Dave T. also mentioned--Good luck un-installing it! Just be sure to use a registry cleaner afterwards along with your anti-spyware programs........Gina

Collapse -
I know a friend who is working with big company
by Donna Buenaventura / June 12, 2007 2:54 PM PDT

and his office rejects email that is sent using Incredimail.

It's because of web-bugs.

Collapse -
100% right
by ken west / July 30, 2007 3:44 AM PDT

yes, incredimail is a spam & a spyware in disguise. Thanks.

Collapse -
And that is...
by ken west / June 13, 2007 4:08 AM PDT

really interesting & revealing. Thanks a lot, i must rethink the incredi-scam.

Collapse -
Incredimail Safe to Use
by dennyf57 / June 15, 2007 11:43 PM PDT

I've been using Incredimail for years and have had no trouble with the purchased version. Any good anti-virus program will work with it. Your protection, however, will only be as good as your anti-virus program.

Collapse -
I've used the Premium version for several years
by KPDXHAM / February 1, 2009 5:43 AM PST

When I first purchased the product there was a glitch or two and I contacted Incredimail support and got an answer usually within a couple days. Since then,I've not had to contact them at all.
No problems with spyware, etc. I have a good firewall, antivirus,etc. program and I use my head also by not opening attachments or responding to email address's that are not in my address book.
Incredimail is not my primary email source. I only use it when I want to add some graphic stuff to my messages.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.