Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Increasing the dual boot drive

by KSUpride / October 29, 2013 4:47 AM PDT

Hey all, listen I'm having an issue.

I dual boot Windows 8 on my Windows 7 harddrive which I created a second partition just for Win 8. I added an extra 10gb of space beyond the required space for the installation. Somehow, that did not worked because there is a massive updates that I had to install so apparently I have no more room. Is there way to increase the partition on the win 8 so i can do the updates and install a couple of programs to test win 8? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Increasing the dual boot drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Increasing the dual boot drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 4:53 AM PDT

I'm going to give the nod to a bigger drive then this kit to clone the drive. I own this one and the supplied software allowed me to resize the target partitions.

You could also wipe out your Windows 8 totally, resize like you did before and try again.

In parting, 10GB is sadly about 10X too small for such work. I usually give Windows about 120GB per OS when doing this work.

-> There's also Virtual Box which works around such testing in another way.

Collapse -
by KSUpride / October 29, 2013 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

Hello R. Proffitt,

Could you give the steps how to wipe out windows 8 completely so i won't mess up anything. One more thing, if I re-install win 8, would they accept that I re-enter the same product key? Thanks.

Collapse -
Sadly no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Steps

Such work is always done with a backup to start with so there is never assurance that it will work out without trouble.

As to the product key, that sounds correct.

Collapse -
Re: partition
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 4:53 AM PDT

A good partition manager can shrink (and move if necessary) the Windows 7 partition and then extend the Windows 8 partition into the free space. I'd start with GPARTED (free).

But I wouldn't do that before making an image backup of the disk to another disk. However, if you mount that other disk inside the PC, you have a whole disk to install Windows 8 on. Depending on your current backup strategy and your supply of spare disks, that might be a better solution.

Collapse -
Backup is key.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: partition

I've had GPARTED work its magic many times but once in awhile I had to repair the boot areas which I think is still advanced work. A backup is key to all this.

Collapse -
by KSUpride / October 29, 2013 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Backup is key.

Well, that could be a good alternative but there is nothing for me to back up on win 8 since I did not save any files at all.

Collapse -
Then you have to consider that first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Gparted

We only lose what we don't backup so without backup you should not do anything until you have what you can't lose safely on a few backups.

Collapse -
I mostly meant an image of Windows 7.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Gparted

You wouldn't like if that got damaged during the shrink operation and you lost all.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.