Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Increase receive buffer size.

by stonehkm / November 17, 2006 5:05 PM PST

My ISP recently increased the download bandwidth from 4Mb to 7Mb. However, my average bandwidth down remains at approx. 4Mb!
I ran some tests and spoke to Cox Cable, my ISP, and was told to increase my recieve buffer size in the registry. They all knew how to do it in Windows XP, but the instructions do not work for Vista RC2 32bit. I am running Vista RC2 x86 and my machine meets all requirements for Vista premium. Anyone know how to increse the receive buffer size in this OS?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Increase receive buffer size.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Increase receive buffer size.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps TweakVI?
by John.Wilkinson / November 18, 2006 9:07 AM PST

Really, no tweak should be needed at all in order to get surpass the previous 4Mbps connection speed so I'd be a bit skeptical. Regardless, you may want to try out the free program TweakVI, which boasts internet connection tweaks in its repertoire. I haven't tested it myself yet but hope to get around to it soon.

Care to be the guinea pig? Happy
John

Collapse -
Re:Perhaps TweakVI?
by stonehkm / November 18, 2006 4:48 PM PST
In reply to: Perhaps TweakVI?

Thanks John, I will try it:)

Collapse -
Re: Tweak VI
by stonehkm / November 18, 2006 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: Perhaps TweakVI?

Well I tried it! The freeware version only makes access easier to features you can easily access from the control panel.
The internet speed feature is disabled along with many other features unless you subscribe to a paid version. While I am using a pre-release version (RC2) of Vista, I do not intend to pay for anything not designed and tested on the final release version.
I was hoping someone, maybe you, would know a path, through regedit, to increase the receive buffer size as the Windows XP method does not work. Thanks for the suggestion John!

Collapse -
Never done it before...
by John.Wilkinson / November 19, 2006 2:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Tweak VI

I've never had the need to tweak such internet settings manually, so I'm not sure what registry entries to look for. It really shouldn't need done, though, and shouldn't have any direct influence in the effective bandwidth. I would have them give you their instructions of XP and then either try it out on an XP partition or see if you can modify the instructions for Vista. (Most of the keys remain the same, so do a search with RegEdit.) In short, it sounds to me like they're holding a pair of duces so I'd want to call their bluff.

John

Collapse -
buffering and streaming problems
by joepfaff / August 31, 2010 2:57 AM PDT

when playing or streaming programs my problem is that the video constantly stops and starts it never has a smooth continues stream.
Help!
thank you.
internet explorer 8
windows xp
dell desktop xps 410

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.