Cameras forum

General discussion

"Incompatible JPEG format"

by TriniMaster1 / March 9, 2008 6:00 AM PDT

Sometimes when reviewing the photos on my camera card, I'll discover that an image has been replaced with a large question mark and the phrase "Incompatible JPEG format." What happened to cause this, and is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening in the future?

(If it's of any help, my camera is a Canon Powershot A710IS, and I use Sandisk brand SD memory cards.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Incompatible JPEG format"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Incompatible JPEG format"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most of the time I find...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2008 6:06 AM PDT

The card has been out of the camera and on some other machine. What's best is to get all the pictures off that card then format the card in the camera just to be safe.

Collapse -
incompatible jpg - A590 IS
by Rivergull / September 19, 2009 2:19 PM PDT

I too am having this problem with Canon A590 IS. After inserting my SanDisk memory card into the slot on my friends laptop (Vista)and uploading them with the Canon software ZoomBrowserEX, I went back home and tried to view the pics via the camera's LCD. Some are there, but some say "incompatible jpg" HAVE THESE PHOTOS BEEN LOST FOR GOOD? You recommended uploading all images from the card and then formatting the card....but HOW DO I RETREIVE THE 'INCOMPATIBLES' ??

Collapse -
Memory Card File Recovery
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 20, 2009 12:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Has anyone suceeded in recovering "incompatible jpeg" files
by at sea / February 24, 2010 1:06 PM PST

I had the same problem trying to open the photos on my compter after downloading them first to a friends PC, and another friends MAC. Only the photos that I had previously downloaded have the ? mark. Those that I had not copied are still intact.
I can see the images on the camera, but when I download them to my computer they have a ?mark, and message "incompatible jpeg". I tried to open in adobe photo shop and the message was "unknown or invalid jped marker".
All of the photos are still visible on the camera LCD.

Collapse -
A possibility in your case.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 25, 2010 7:01 AM PST

First - I know just enough about a MAC to be dangerous.

It is my understanding that the MAC does not need the file extension.
The MAC can read a .jpg that is called Horse or a .jpg that is called Horse.jpg

A PC can not do that.
The picture file must have the .jpg extension.
If the PC sees Horse, it does not know what the heck kind of file it is.

So the question is, do all of the picture files have an extension of .jpg
If not, rename Horse to Horse.jpg and the PC will know what it is.

Collapse -
Why photo recovery?
by ppindia / October 22, 2009 7:34 PM PDT

I actually had a similar problem and removed the card from my camera and copied over the files to my computer. Not sure why you would need to use a photo recovery program for the files though.

If you do need a photo recovery program, I have used two and both were seemed fine, Adroit photo recovery and Art Plus. As mentioned earlier there are tons of other photo recovery programs, you can try them, but again not sure why you would need to run a photo recovery program unless you find that you are unable to fine some of your photos.

Collapse -
Incompatible jpeg format - Question Mark When Viewing Photos
by john16443 / October 25, 2009 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Why photo recovery?

The image is still on the card and is safe. You may have done nothing more than rotated the image in your editing or viewing mode, and now it won't display on your camera screen. It appears to be a Canon thing as it happens on my XSi and my G10 as well. As others have said, work with the file on your computer as needed. There should be no reason to recover anything, it's all still on the card.

Collapse -
please heeeeeelp me my pictures gone
by zahrar / August 26, 2011 11:29 PM PDT

I had problem "Incopatible JPEG format" and then I copyed all on my pictures (nrear 1500 pictures) in the pc then format sd memorycard. then I copy all of my pictures in the cs memory card. OOOOOOH MY GOD. I pot memory sd card in my camera it is not working, I put again in pc and pc couldn't find sd card. I am sure I paste all 1500 pictures in sd card now sd card is not work. OH MY GOOD
where is my picture???? whats hapend in my sd card??? it is burn??? it can not work again?? 8 gb sd card
please answer me.
thank you

Collapse -
Probably Working Correctly
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 12:36 AM PDT

If you put pictures on a memory card using a PC computer,
your camera will not see them.
That is normal.

The camera can only see pictures that the camera put on the card.
That is normal.

A digital camera can not be used as a multimedia photo display device.
You need a multimedia player, such as the photo iPod.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.