Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

In what format do you watch movies the most?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 27, 2007 / 4:29 PM UTC

In what format do you watch movies the most and why so?

- DVD
- DVR
- Movie downloads
- On-demand
- Only in theaters
- Pay-per-view
- Premium channels
- Regular TV broadcast
- VHS
- Other (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In what format do you watch movies the most?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In what format do you watch movies the most?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Movies
by ceolson2 / February 28, 2007 / 4:09 AM UTC

Premium channels - with cable I get on-demand, so it is very convienent.

Collapse -
You don't have to rew a dvd
by spicetrader / February 28, 2007 / 2:54 PM UTC
In reply to: Movies

I like dvds because they are more durable than tape. I like the scene selection and subtitling capabilities dvds provide. I have to rew the vhs, and I don't have to rew the dvd. Both dvd and vhs are better than other media, because I can pause or back up, there are no commercials, I don't have to rig up my computer to the tv for a download, and I don't have to retry failed downloads. I like going to a movie theatre, getting a large popcorn and a box of milk duds, and sitting in the first row. But my girlfriend never wants to go to the theatre any more. She prefers to stay home and watch a dvd or CSI Las Vegas. She never wanted to sit in the first row anyway, and she complained about the crunchy noise when I ate the popcorn. (She never complained about the noise she made when she ate popcorn.) I've never given more than a passing thought to getting another girlfriend with more compatible cinematic preferences. Even though she can be a lot of trouble, she's good for entirely different reasons. She likes movies more than I do. If it were up to me, I would get rid of the movies-at-home equipment, the tv, etc., and I would probably watch only 3 or 4 movies per year. I just don't care about them very much. But if she wants to watch a movie, then I want to watch a movie. I wouldn't buy hi-def for the picture alone. For me to buy hi-def, the content would have to be some movie I couldn't conveniently get in a less expensive (including the amortized cost of the equipment) format. What I don't like about all media are the exploitative practice of intellectual property laws, and the exploitative practice of the distributors dividing the world with region codes preventing free trade, free traffic and fair competition. Of course all this stuff is very time consuming. If I were to spend a couple of hours watching Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds, without my girlfriend, I couldn't help but wonder if I couldn't have done something more personally rewarding with my time.

Collapse -
HDVD and BLURAY GUYS!
by gadgetkid / February 28, 2007 / 9:40 PM UTC

How come no hdvd or bluray section in this poll?
I have both and thats all i'll buy and watch. Standard dvd is no longer appealing to my eyes or ears!

Collapse -
I watch the TV movies
by Tashadow / February 28, 2007 / 10:05 PM UTC
In reply to: Movies

I watch them on regular TV because, usually I don't watch a movie more than once. There are very few movies I will watch a second time. I do have some of my TV shows on VHS and, did buy them on DVD but, I won't buy all the movies on DVD that I have on VHS. If I really want to see the movie, I will get it from netflix or another source.

Collapse -
movie format
by Banjax2003 / February 28, 2007 / 4:18 AM UTC

I watch dvd's most of the time because I have a player and the movies are available in great quantity through the mail. I go to the movies to see some movies but will usually not spend to much. I will only buy a dvd if I think the movie is great, like LOTR and Star WARS.
Rick...

Collapse -
Movie Format(s)
by wlennon / February 28, 2007 / 4:57 AM UTC
In reply to: movie format

I am not a gamer, but I bought an X-Box 360 (we also have nieces and nephews) but mainly for the Blu-Ray DVD Player till prices come down, it works great and is cheaper than a "Table Top" Blu-Ray player.

Dishnetwork has had DVRs in their receivers for quite a few years, I now have a Dish Vip 622i HD receiver w/220 hour Dual Tuner DVR which records in SD and HD.

Our Home Theater DVD player is a JVC w/up-conversion (and it does make a difference). Since I own the 622i, I hacked it to skip commercials to record any commercial Television.

Collapse -
correction on player
by Enforcer / February 28, 2007 / 7:27 AM UTC
In reply to: Movie Format(s)

wlennon,

The player for the Xbox 360 is a HD-DVD player not a Blu Ray player. There is a considerable difference between the two players. Last time I checked the HD-DVD supported up to 1080i while the Blu Ray supported up to 1080p (p)rogressive being different from (i)nterlaced. Just figured I would clear this up there by avoiding any unneeded confusion for the novice reader.

Collapse -
correction on player
by wlennon / February 28, 2007 / 7:42 AM UTC
In reply to: correction on player

Hi Enforcer,

My bad, it is a PS3, and not the X-Box 360, you are correct!!

Collapse -
movies watched format
by jbaccarat / February 28, 2007 / 4:42 AM UTC

DVR - My wife & I are addicted to old movies so with TCM & IFC we get a plethora of goodies which we can then transfer to DVD with little cost or effort if they're really good or just erase & wait till they reappear (in a better format maybe?).

Collapse -
Blu Ray
by niagra1 / February 28, 2007 / 4:50 AM UTC
In reply to: movies watched format

After watching some Blu ray movies in 1080p with uncompressed multi channel PCM....I will never buy a dvd again.

Blu ray has rendered dvd unwatchable...and has obviously taken over the HD race to the next great format over all others.

Collapse -
watching flix
by verschoor2 / February 28, 2007 / 4:48 AM UTC

I usually go into a theater to see a flick at least once a week. Those I really like I either purchase for my collection or I request them at Christmas as a gift. Since I usually see at least 40 movies per year and obtain about 5-6 of them I wind up with films I really like.

Collapse -
Dear Outofyourmind
by russe1 / February 28, 2007 / 10:28 AM UTC
In reply to: watching flix

Get a life.........study, excercise, do some form of community service.

Collapse -
Watching movies
by bobtubnj / March 3, 2007 / 5:13 PM UTC
In reply to: Dear Outofyourmind

We don't watch movies. We read a lot, surf the net, watch TV (the discovery channel, history channel, etc).. Movies are so fake we can't really be bothered to waste our time on this nonsense. B and D

Collapse -
DVD all the way
by marcus92369 / February 28, 2007 / 4:51 AM UTC

My wife and I watch 90% of movies on DVD and the other 10% on the HD DVR. We've got Netflix and a high end system which contains a Yamaha AV receiver that upconverts the DVD image to 1080i (not quite as good as true HD, but good enough). I suppose once the format war is over and there are more titles available, we'll pick up a universal HD/BlueRay player and continue on with Netflix. As for buying movies, I don't think so. I started buying movies years ago, only to realize we only watch them once or twice. As I stated before, we use Netflix and are able to go through about 20 movies per month for the price of one new DVD. Just my $.02

Collapse -
The "movie experience" has changed!
by psiddle / March 1, 2007 / 4:15 PM UTC
In reply to: DVD all the way

Have been a Netflix subscriber for several years now and will not go to a movie theater again.

The giant multi-plex theaters are simply a zoo: parents drop their kids off there and they run wild; parking is becoming a problem when you attempt to go to a matinee to save a little money; ticket prices are a rip-off; concession prices are felonious; volume levels are too loud or too soft; sound from the movies next door bleed through the walls; need I go on?

Movies are getting to DVD format very rapidly, I'm watching "The Departed" tonight in my den...the Oscars were just 4 days ago!

The much bally-hooed "movie experience" is now $20 for 2 tickets, $15 for 2 cokes and 2 small popcorn, gross sticky floors, poor film quality, and a very tiny screen with rude people sitting all around me with cell phones and constant chatting!

Collapse -
I agree about Netflix
by flrhcarr / March 3, 2007 / 9:51 AM UTC

Rarely would I go to the theater, for the same reasons. Now if we can get people to stop using a chain to view the DVD. . !
I've upgraded a few of my movies to DVD, but I didn't have that many movies on VHS. Mostly it's the convenience of scene selection, & not needing to rewind.
I'm not rushing out to buy the next great disc thing either. I, as most of us, have. I still have a box of 1-4x cds.
Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better. Dial-up is still dial-up, it can't go any faster, even if one end of the connection is optical. You can clean things up, but you can't add what's not there. Just think of the possibilities having Rat Patrol on Blu-Ray!
Didn't we have those great things for DVD? Multiple camera angles, alternate endings, & so on. How many DVD's have multiple camera angles?
If the sheep stop buying foolish improvements or just different versions, the companies will stop making them. Besides, what's coming out, after these new ones?
Just some thoughts on the matter.

Collapse -
Tuesday $1 DVD hire
by ozidigga / March 5, 2007 / 10:01 PM UTC
In reply to: DVD all the way

Can't go wrong really. Even renting dvd's is guaranteed better quality and easier than downloading.

Collapse -
movies watched format
by kpataky / February 28, 2007 / 4:52 AM UTC

I rented a regular DVD this weekend, I think it was The Departed, and they had a presentation ad at the start which detailed these new Roms that have the movie in standard DVD on one side - flip it over and its in HD DVD format on the other side. Now if they could only come up with a third side for Blue Ray.

Wink

Collapse -
DVD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 / 4:58 AM UTC

In our part of the world (Boston) the theaters are sad places with many issues from bad screens to glitches during presentation. Curtains that didn't open all the way, focus, picture off the screen, jumpy image, etc.

They don't man the projection booths from what I can tell so no checks the image anymore. This leads to me walking out to hunt down someone to tend the machines. But then the show has started and I've missed the beginning. This happens about 1 in 4 showings here so you guessed it, we don't go to the theaters unless I really want to catch something and not wait for the DVD.

I'd say we go about 10 times less often than when we were elsewhere where the theaters were well done.

Bob

Collapse -
Movie Format
by ronald.lewis16 / February 28, 2007 / 5:07 AM UTC

I subscribe to Netflix for DVD's via. a gift for Christmas. There are not many movies out there worth the time in any format. I purchase movies that are really good but again there arn't many. I purchase a large LCD HDTV recently but that is a rip off as well. There are very few HD programs availble at this time. Wait, wait, wait till this comes togeather - programing, and format.

Collapse -
I watch Dvd format the most
by rwest419 / February 28, 2007 / 5:18 AM UTC

I watch movies in the dvd format the most,but I still watch in the vhs format also because I have a lot of old movies.No I will not buy the same movie twice,if the first movie is damage in anyway than yes I would purchase the movie again and that would depend on how much I like the movie.

A true movie watcher

Collapse -
I prefer in DVD format at this time
by Marvin116 / February 28, 2007 / 5:20 AM UTC

DVD format is a lot simpler and has a large audience market for the artwork, I do believe that yes HD and Blu-ray are of higher quality but the caost of the palyers and the content for that market is not settled and unfortunately cost more than the standard DVD technology, it needs more time.

Collapse -
I like to think that I embrace progress, but...
by TauCeti309 / February 28, 2007 / 5:36 AM UTC

i use DVD's. I'll probably eventually move to Blu-ray when the price goes down. I've converted all of my VHS to DVD. My first computer was an Altair. I gradually moved through the TRS80 up to my current PC using Windows XP. Now they've come out with Vista... Frankly, I almost wish I'd started with a Mac.

Collapse -
HDTV and Rental Only
by dianesm / February 28, 2007 / 5:36 AM UTC

We watch movies on our HD channels and on DVD by mail-order rental only. I have virtually no interest in owning movies as I rarely watch them more than once. Why have one more collection of things around the house to manage and store when rental is so easy and provide for such variety? If I do want to see a particular movie more than once, I can just order it up again. Of course, maybe if I had children, that would justify owning a few titles, but still for me it would be very few. I'll let the rental company drive my technology decision on this one.

Collapse -
DVDs
by gavandtra / February 28, 2007 / 5:40 AM UTC

DVD is my format of choice. Firstly DVDs are plentiful and cheap, I can therefore build up a library of decent films for minimal cost. Secondly I watch a lot of older/world cinema films and DVD offers these in abundance whereas things like pay per view etc seem to focus more on hollywood blockbuster/overhyped rubbish films which I have little or no interest in. This leads me into a small aside to do with HD films. Given that a lot of films I buy are older (ie I prefer the 1930s King Kong to the latest King Kong) or films that rely on a brilliant script and acting rather than than some crap with brilliant special effects but zero plot, I actually see very little reason to bother with HD films as I don't think the format would improve the films that I choose to watch all it would do is increase the cost to me and mean that I have to duplicate a lot of films that I already own. Long live DVD.

Collapse -
Why pay to see commercials?
by Don Moore / February 28, 2007 / 5:43 AM UTC

I stick with broadcast TV simply because I don't have to pay for the commercials (which is the case with cable & satellite). The initial "come on" for cable was "commercial free" - when the sujbscribership didn't come up to the anticipated level, the cable guys got greedy and "sold out" by abandoning the commercial free format.

Collapse -
DVD
by captaintom10 / February 28, 2007 / 5:43 AM UTC

I primarily watch movies on DVD. My surround sound system and television give me as good an experience as the theater and far cheaper in teh long run. Theaters also have become far less enjoyable - noisy patrons, cell phone calls, food being crunched all around you, and some theaters are simply dirty because they don't what to take the time to clean them.

I also can make copies of any DVD and add them to my library. NOw have over 600 movies in six binders.

Capt Tom

Collapse -
Download (P2P)
by frforest7 / February 28, 2007 / 5:45 AM UTC

I watch 95% of my TV and movies from p2p downloading sites. Sometimes you just can't beat "free and on demand".

Collapse -
FAVORITE OR MOST POPULAR FORMAT OF MOVIES I WATCH
by NYCPD911 / February 28, 2007 / 5:52 AM UTC

The innovation of DVD and it's convenience with handling, packaging and the ultimate attractiveness of being able to have a portable player and the ability to watch the movies on a computer, I feel was the demise of the VHS format.
Although, there was the enhaced HD Quality VHS movies that ultimately hit the market.
On the other hand for the folks(like me) that still have a ENORMOUS VHS collection that is yet to be transferred to DVD's it is puzzling whether to wait and see what happens with a new format. Or perhaps keep finding those $1 dollar specials at Flea Markets or garage sales of great VHS Movies. Then will the ability to transfer them to any new format be possible?? Either way I'm not uneased by any new current introduced HD movies because the technology will be only ultimate when all the movies are 3D and HD Quality with some refinements. For now, I myself am stuck in a tech bog. What will I do?? Heck I hope Cnet keeps me informed!

Collapse -
DVD 99.9999. TCM/HBO/IFC next. VHS unused. HD/Blu no way.
by XXPepper / February 28, 2007 / 5:56 AM UTC

Not going to do HD/BlueRay until one of them wins. (Prefer "HD" just because I'd rather have "Blue Ray" be either a movie/comic character or the guy w/ the old Kay guitar down in the subway.)

Will do download movies when we can watch them on the TV with both no trouble and no quality loss (below DVD). Otherwise sticking with Netflix and the cable guys.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon