Laptops forum

Question

In need of a good, portable word processing device

by Pesmerga515 / February 18, 2012 10:02 AM PST

Looking for a portable word processor (basic Word/Open Office level) and have never owned a netbook or tablet. The physical keyboard of the netbook seems like it would give it an advantage, but portability, resolution and price are factors to consider as well.

Again, I want to stress that this device will be used ONLY for word processing. Other features like games, web-browsing, etc. are irrelevant and would potentially distract me from my writing anyways. I'd love to pick up something in the neighborhood of $100, but $200 is the very most that I'd care to go.

Can anyone recommend a specific model or two?
Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In need of a good, portable word processing device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In need of a good, portable word processing device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Bah. Netbook?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2012 11:40 AM PST

Since you want it only for word processing and the price at 100 to 200 bucks you are forced into a machine that I can't stand to use for very long.

Sorry, but at this price point there is nothing in the market for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Suggestions for portable word processing device
by Saffron345 / April 3, 2012 10:02 AM PDT

I understand why you want such a device. I really wanted something like this in college, and even after college I spent years looking for a cheap, portable, distraction-free word processor with a long battery life. PDAs, tablets, and smartphones had too many features and weren't designed with serious writing in mind. (I wanted a full-sized keyboard.)

I bought a portable keyboard called the QuickPad, which offered basic text-only word processing and simple spreadsheet data entry. I think the company may have gone out of business. I still use the QuickPad sometimes, but ultimately the low price of netbooks won me over, and I now do most of my writing on a netbook with a distraction-free word processing program. If you want to go this route, try installing Q10 (http://www.baara.com/q10/) or FocusWriter (http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/).

If you still want a portable, dedicated word processing device, try the AlphaSmart Neo (http://www.neo-direct.com/default.aspx) at ~$160. A pricier option, with more compatibility with other common office suites, is the Dana (also from AlphaSmart and available at the same site), at $350.

Collapse -
Answer
Dedicated Word Processor
by pberger / October 24, 2014 7:39 AM PDT

In the '80's U used a Brother Power Book extensively. It had a 14 line screen, mono, no hard drive, and battery powered. It had a dedicated word processor, address book, and spreadsheet, all compatible with Brother Word Processors of the day. It had a 25 pin Centronics parallel printer port, so I could hook it up to my dot matrix printer whenever I needed a hard copy. It saved files on a 2.5" floppy, which I would often mail to associates to print out a large spreadsheet.

It was the size of a small laptop or large netbook today, and weighed 4 lbs.

The last model was NB60 Geobook. I had a PN-4400. With the backlight turned off, it would run approximately 8 hours. With the back light, it would operate roughly 2.5 hours.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.