Car Tech forum

General discussion

In Dash Player w/Hard Drive?

by Lovamelin / January 8, 2008 12:19 PM PST

I will start with what I am looking for, and then tell you what I've found. Hopefully you can help me in better finding what I'm looking for. What I WANT is an in dash player that has all of your typical features but in addition has a hard drive where, instead of using a player and hooking it in via line in, I can copy songs onto the hard drive and then the in dash player just recalls them and plays them thus eliminating any middle man. Now I have FOUND all sorts of things. Most of these things falling in the realm of car computers, or carputer, or car pcs, or auto pcs, etc. I'm not quite looking for an in dash computer that has wifi, gps, hard drive, dvd/cd, windows, bluetooth, etc. I pretty much just want a purely audio player with no video function that has a built in hard drive. Now if I had to go the in dash computer route I'm not particularly opposed. I like the idea of having dvd, gps, or wifi built into my car. I just find them unnecessary and potentially hazardous in a moving vehicle since they could be potentially distracting. Also theres of course the cost issue, hence why I don't really feel the need for a "carputer" as some say. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you have any particular models in mind that have the built in hard drive please tell me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In Dash Player w/Hard Drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In Dash Player w/Hard Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can make your own
by Jacksafro / January 23, 2008 1:21 AM PST

There are several head units that have USB inputs that allow you to plug any properly formatted hard drive into the deck. The deck will read and play the files, but I haven't seen any that will rip music to the harddrives. I am looking for a similar device and have found nothing. I am actually quite disgusted with all of the manufacturers out there, as the technology for such a device has existed for years.
If any manufacterers are listening then please build an audio deck that plays cd's with mp3's, wma's, etc, has a good bluetooth interface with a nice tft screen, a built in large capacity hard drive to copy and store music from the CD's or other audio source, and front USB and Aux inputs. Oh and please make it compatible with my existing steering wheel controls! Hold the cheesy teenage grafix, lights and moldings and use an actual turning knob for volume and scrolling. Also, if you build a unit with a motorized touchscreen, build in a secondary display that allows use of the stereo without having to motor the unit out.

Collapse -
Check out this unit
by singingwulf / February 3, 2008 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: You can make your own

Hi,
I have been trying to figure a way to put a hard drive in my car as well. I started with an Omnifi. It worked alright but I wanted more. Here is a unit that you can rip to, it still has problems but it might work for you
check it out
Sony MEX-1HD Car Stereo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.