Computer Help forum

Improving LAN speed (via WiFi)

by MikeAanders / February 19, 2013 4:34 AM PST

I'm trying to improve my LAN speed (WiFi connection) (note this is nothing to do with my internet connection). All PCs on LAN & router are capable of 802.11b, g & n. The router is set to 802.11g (although it can be set to n or a combination of all 3). This should theoretically achieve 54Mbps up and down (in practice apparently expect 25Mbps). According to Totusoft's LAN speed test (described at):
and also speed when shown in Windows (7) when transferring files between 2 PCs on the network I achieve around 10Mbps. This affects viewing of HD material when streamed from 1 PC to another (can get jerkiness). Why am I getting such a low speed and what can I tweak to improve it? I assume that if router is set at 802.11g, then individual PCs will recognise this and switch to the correct speed (if not how can I get them to do this?). Signal strength is excellent on all PCs.
Obviously I can use Ethernet but I don't want to be tripping over cables.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Improving LAN speed (via WiFi)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Improving LAN speed (via WiFi)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try setting the router to wireless-N
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2013 4:46 AM PST

Wireless-N is supposed to be a good bit faster than G, so why not try setting the router to N? I understand that when the router spends time switching between B,G, & N, it can slow things down. Also what are the distances between the router and the clients? The closer they are, the faster the transfer rate.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 19, 2013 5:08 AM PST

So your issue is with WLAN, your hardwire hook up is acceptable? If you are going to run Gigabit (N) 10/100/1000, all hardware( modem, router nic cards) need to be N (gigabit) compliant, including likely going from CAT5 to CAT6 cable(s) for potential improvement hardwired. Wireless issues such as buffering...staggering are generally created by bandwidth draw/variation created many times by local area usage, depending on server and location. There could also be issues related to onboard hardware differences/variations between systems.

Collapse -
The problem
by Jimmy Greystone / February 19, 2013 11:29 PM PST

The problem is that until 11n, wifi was half-duplex, meaning it could only send OR receive data at any given time. Plus those theoretical speeds don't take into account overhead from protocols and what not, it's just the max total data, not the max total USEFUL data. With 11n they started introducing MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) which lets you do both send and receive operations at the same time using different antennas.

Beyond that, wireless is very poorly suited to streaming video. It can be done, but it's not a good idea. Too many things can interfere with a wireless signal. Almost every country has a rule where wireless devices have to accept all incoming signals, even if those signals might be harmful. So basically something as simple as an improperly shielded microwave can screw up your wireless signal.

If you're looking to stream video files, you want to go wired. Anything else is going to be too unreliable. Especially if we're talking HD material, which typically means 720p or 1080i/p. That means you're talking about needing to sustain anywhere from about 3-20MB/s (and do make sure to read up on how network speeds are measured in megaBITS per second, not megaBYTES) which is a lot to ask for a wireless connection.

Collapse -
Mimo etc.
by pgc3 / February 19, 2013 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: The problem

Thank you Jimmy, you hit that one right on the head...streaming wirelessly is just not reliable too many potential variables, especially as you said with HD. Hardwire hook ups are typically far less troublesome...

Collapse -
Bits & Bytes
by MikeAanders / February 20, 2013 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: The problem

Oh, but I do understand there are 8 bits in a byte! That is why I'm surprised you quote "3-20MB/s" and not "3-20Mb/s" (ie. small "b" for bits). Your 3-20MBytes/sec is a phenomenal speed!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.