Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

Importing Email Messages in Outlook Express

by polaris6 / February 8, 2012 10:32 PM PST

I have a PC, XP(3), laptop.

Recently I 'lost' a 'chunk' of my email messages; they just disappeared, like from Sep 2010 to Nov 2011. I backed up the message folder in Nov 2011 and I have those dbx files available.

The questiion is, how can I import (from my backup email message file, only those email messages I need to 'fill the gap in my current message list?

I am thinking of creating a new account, importing the entire backup file an then deleting those messages I don't need for the 'filler. Then same that mail message folder and import just that into my current messages.

The question I have with this process, is will the partial messages list write over the existing list and I wind up with just the partial list, or will importing the partial list 'fill in' where there is a gap in the current list?

Thank you

polaris6 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Importing Email Messages in Outlook Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Importing Email Messages in Outlook Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by polaris6

Collapse -
How I did this.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 3:06 AM PST

1. I made a new mailfolder in Outlook Express.
2. I exited the program.
3. In Windows Explorer I went to the folder where OE stores its .dbx files.
4. I copied a .dbx file with the mails I was interested in OVER the newly created one.
5. I went into OE again and dragged that mails out of this new folder to their final place.
6. I repeated 2 through 5 as often as necessary.
7. I deleted that temporary mailfolder in Outlook Express.
8. I made a new backup.

Kees

Collapse -
Importing Email Messages in Outlook Express
by polaris6 / February 9, 2012 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: How I did this.

I am having a little difficulty with this process. Let me try to explain...
I create a new folder in mail list, eg. 'AAAMessage Box' (I used the AAA* to be sure the folder is listed near the top of the page.
I then exit OE; when I go to the folder store area, I notice there is a 'dbx' file 'AAAMessage Box.dbx', and, of course, it is empty.
I have already copied the dbx file that contains the mails I want into a folder on the HD; I have named that file 'Inbox1.dbx'
Your instructions above say to copy this file OVER the new, but empty 'AAAMessage Box.dbx' file(I assume that is what you meant)....If I did that, will I not get a file (Inbox1.dbx) occupying that space where the AAAMessage Box.dbx file was?
Should I, instead, rename the 'Inbox1.dbx' file (the file that has the mails I want to transfer) to read 'AAAMessage Box.dbx' and replace the empty 'AAAMessage Box.dbx' file with the renamed Inbox1.dbx file? This would/should but the transferred email messages in the AAAMessageBox mail folder when I open OE again (this is a question rather than a statement).

Thanks...my misunderstanding is the copy, when I think you mean rename and then replace; Is that correct?

Collapse -
Re: what I mean
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 4:48 PM PST

I think you understand it correctly.

What I meant was: copy inbox1.dbx AAAMessagebox.dbx
That's the command line command to copy inbox1.dbx to AAAMessagebox.dbx and overwrite it if it already existed. Copy a file over another file so to say, replacing it.

In the GUI offered by Windows Explorer it's a 3-step procedure:
1. Delete AAAMessagebox.dbx
2. Copy (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) inbox1.dbx to Copy of inbox1.dbx
3. Rename Copy of inbox1.dbx to AAAMessagebox.dbx

And then, if you run OE again, your AAAMessagebox isn't empty anymore, but litterally is the old inbox1.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.