Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Importing bookmarks from Internet Explorer to Foxfire

by soorganized / November 9, 2004 12:16 AM PST

I have tried exporting my bookmarks from Internet Explorer into Mozilla's Foxfire, and importing them from Foxfire to Explorer, with no luck. I'm using Windows XP, Foxfire 0.9.2 and Internet Explorer 6.0. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Importing bookmarks from Internet Explorer to Foxfire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Importing bookmarks from Internet Explorer to Foxfire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Importing bookmarks from Internet Explorer to Foxfire
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 12:22 AM PST

I did this...

I uninstalled the old Firefox and then installed the new Firefox. The bookmarks came right over.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Importing bookmarks from Internet Explorer to Firefox
by Yew / November 9, 2004 2:42 AM PST

Firefox 1.0 was just released today, and the first time you run it, it will ask you if you want to import settings. That will bring over bookmarks, cookies, saved passwords, the works.

Collapse -
by Fish / November 9, 2004 7:37 AM PST

Doing this just copies the info to firefox and not remove it from IE right?

Collapse -
Right Fish !
by glenn30 / November 9, 2004 7:54 AM PST

Just places a copy in Firefox and leaves the originals in Internet Explorer.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Right Fish !
by Fish / November 9, 2004 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Right Fish !

Thank's Glenn.I thought that was how it worked but wanted to verify.

Collapse -
by soorganized / November 10, 2004 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Right Fish !

What if I no longer use Internet Explorer, and keep adding bookmarks in Firefox? Sounds like I would into problems if I uninstalled Internet Explorer, no? It would be nice if we were warned of this possibility.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 10, 2004 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Right Fish !

You need IE for Windows Updates.

Collapse -
by soorganized / November 11, 2004 12:15 AM PST

Makes sense. Thanks so much for the help and explanation. I installed Firefox 1.0, went to File, Import and got all the bookmarks, no problem.

Collapse -
importing favorites
by GaJunebug / April 3, 2009 8:31 AM PDT

Thanks so much, I just went from Windows Explorer to Firefox and I thought I had lost all my favorites(LOTS OF THEM) and I saw your tip. It worked like a charm. I'm now a member of CNET. Hope to find out lots of tips to help me.

GaJunebug

Collapse -
Another option...
by glenn30 / November 11, 2004 2:48 AM PST

soorganized, here is a backup for bookmarks added to Firefox or Mozilla. It is a neat little piece of software and I use it from time to time to export bookmarks to disk off the computer. It is handy to import into Firefox if a re-install is done... at least bookmarks and all settings are restored.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Something to think about!

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Another option...
by soorganized / November 12, 2004 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Another option...

Thanks, Glenn. I will definitely do that. I've been looking for an easy way to back up bookmarks.

Collapse -
by Peter Reaper / November 11, 2004 4:58 PM PST

Firefox COPIES your Favorites from IE to Firefox, so when you uninstall IE, the COPIES of your Favorites in Firefox are unaffected. Wink

Collapse -
by soorganized / November 12, 2004 6:36 AM PST

Ha! Yes, I'm new to this. And, frankly, I like the name Foxfire better. I took your advice and everything worked like a charm. I had assumed the import was actually working more like a link, but I now realize that's not the case. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by cueball50 / November 13, 2004 12:24 AM PST

I recommend that you don't try to uninstall IE, especially if you're using Windows XP Pro. I had a bad experience when I first started using XP Pro.

Collapse -
by soorganized / November 10, 2004 3:22 AM PST

Thanks so much. I'll do it right away.

Collapse -
Brought 2 old, old favorites
by realitycheck5 / March 25, 2013 11:04 AM PDT

With my transferred data from ie to FF I got 2 old favorites I never use. I've spent hours trying to transfer my favorites & am about ready to give up. Yeh, I've done all the suggestions from FF and then some. I just downloaded FF 3 days ago. Wahhhhh.

Collapse -
by teckels / November 11, 2004 3:47 PM PST

First off you need to update your Firefox to the latest version. This has nothing to with bookmarks/favorites, it's just that your version is very obsolete. Be sure to uninstall your current version using the "Add Or Remove Programs" console in the Control Panel. You will be presented with the option to keep your current settings, so don't worry about losing anything. You will more than likely have to update your "Extensions" and "Theme".

As far as handling bookmarks goes, that is very simple. In Firefox click on Bookmarks on the toolbar and in the dropdown menu select "Manage Bookmarks". In the Bookmarks Manager click on File and select "Export" in the dropdown menu. from there it's pretty self explanitory. You need to select a name and destination for the file to be exported to (I suggest you just save it to your desktop as the default "bookmarks.htm"). Your bookmarks will be exported into an HTML file that you can even open with your browser.

Your next step is to open IE, click on File and select "Import Export" from the dropdown window. Navigate to your desktop and select the file "bookmarks.htm". Internet Explorer will then import those links into a new favorites folder. Within that folder will be contained a similar structure to that of your Firefox bookmarks.

You can use this same process in reverse to go from IE to Firefox, or you can use Firefox's importer which imports directly from IE. Adittionally you can use a Firefox extension called "Favorites Converter" which automatically exports your bookmarks and converts them to IE favorites. You can find it here. https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=336&vid=1017

Collapse -
Thank you!!!!
by pdumou6293 / January 2, 2005 6:52 AM PST

Just the information I needed. Thanks!

Collapse -
by Peter Reaper / November 11, 2004 4:52 PM PST

First of all, it's Firefox (not Foxfire). Wink

First, you should update to the just-released Firefox 1.0. The import manager is likely to have been improved since 0.9.2.

Next, in Firefox, select "File | Import | MS IE" and follow the instructions. I'd be surprized if that didn't work.

If all else fails, it could be a corrupted user-profile. Either delete your profile, or create a new one. Here's how:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#profilemanager

Your profile is here:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

PS. Anyone reading this who is not yet using Firefox:
http://www.GetFirefox.com

Collapse -
by naess008 / November 11, 2004 6:59 PM PST

FOXFIRE? Don't you mean Firefox? I did have a lot of problems with Firefox but since installing the "Version 1.0 Preview Release" things have improved enormously. It had no trouble importing Exlorer's Favorites but I did not attempt the reverse, chiefly because I have not used Explorer (and Outlook/Outlook Express)for at least three years now. My bookmarks are actually contained in the NetCaptor browser that I use instead. It is based on the Explorer engine but works immeasurably better.

Collapse -
by jbage / November 12, 2004 12:08 AM PST

First, upgrade to the 1.0 version of Firefox. During the installation, it will ask you if you want to import your bookmarks. Just say yes and you are in the house!

Collapse -
by gesalz / November 12, 2004 7:14 PM PST

Hi!
You wrote:
"I have tried exporting my bookmarks from Internet Explorer into Mozilla's Foxfire"
First, it's not Foxfire but Firefox.
Second, you have to IMPORT your IE bookmarks FROM IE INTO Firefox, not trying to export them from IE to FF.
I did it personnally with all the success hoped.
Friendly yours,
gesalz

Collapse -
by tchristoff / November 18, 2004 4:10 AM PST

First, I'd recommend upgrading to the new (and no longer Beta) version of Firefox (version 1.0). When I installed it, I was prompted whether I wanted to import my IE bookmarks and doing so worked fine.

Collapse -
FireFox also allows you to Export your Bookmarks...
by David Chan / November 18, 2004 7:11 AM PST

Click Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks | File | Export

So there is no need for third party software to backup your Bookmarks.

Collapse -
by lastone1946 / December 13, 2004 6:52 PM PST

I too have the smae problem. when I first set up Firefox, some of my favorites came in, not all. When I try to add more through the Firefox utility, there is computer activity but nothing happens. Windows XP Pro and Firefox 1.0.

Collapse -
by lastone1946 / December 13, 2004 9:47 PM PST

I tried deleting and reinstalling Firefox 1.0. As before, I have all of the bookmarks, but each file has only a fraction of my favorites. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
by ronj299 / December 13, 2004 10:17 PM PST

try the mozilla browser instead no more popups no need fore i/e
also try the thunderbird email client works great with mozilla it's got a great spam filter.i bet you dont go back to i/e or o/e

Collapse -
by stan25 / December 14, 2004 12:02 AM PST

I don?t know much about Windows XP, but IE should work the same for it as the same for Macs. In my case, I just opened up Firefox and copied and pasted the IE addys into the url box. Then I just bookmarked them in the usual way. Happy

Collapse -
by halklahre / December 14, 2004 12:12 AM PST

I imported my IE bookmarks, etc. using the Firefox Import Wizard. I have'nt tried importing FireFox bookmarks into IE , but the FireFox Guidebook (page 35) says you can export bookmarks in a "special" HTML format ( backup or export to FireFox, Netscape 6 & 7 and Mozilla Suite). It appears Mozilla does'nt think you will ever want to go back to IE.

Collapse -
by halklahre / December 14, 2004 1:20 AM PST

go to htpp://update.mozilla.org (in FireFox)
sidebar choose Bookmarks
go down to : Favorites Converter (Export)
good lunk

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.