Mac Applications forum

General discussion

iMovie: problem changing duration on still photos

by lillibet1 / November 9, 2005 2:18 AM PST

I created an iMovie with many still photos. For some reason I was unable to change the duration of the photos except by manipulating the transitions. When I would double-click on the photo in the timeline, or choose 'get info', it would not allow me to change the duration.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have a fix for it?

Thanks.

Mac OS 10.3.6
iMovie v.5.0.1

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMovie: problem changing duration on still photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMovie: problem changing duration on still photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Durations.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 9, 2005 5:39 AM PST

To increase the length of a still image in iMovie is quite easy but has to be done in a specific order. Even that part is easy.
1. Make sure that you are NOT using any Ken Burns effect on the still image. Uncheck the KB Box
2. Do the info thing and change the duration.
3. Put the required Ken Burns effect back in. Check the KB Box

The reason you cannot change it any other way is because iMovie worked out the movement on the image (the Ken Burns effect) based on the original, default, length of the still and it will not allow a change because that would spoil the KB effect.

Hope this helps

try it an let us know

P

Collapse -
I wish you were writing the Apple help discourses...
by lillibet1 / November 9, 2005 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: Durations.

You are the best. I should have thought to send this question in before I was finished with my project, but at least I will know next time. I also realized, way too late, that the KB effect has to be turned off before the stills get to the timeline section. I will be ahead of the curve next time.

Thanks, you have bailed me out more than once.

Collapse -
You are Welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 9, 2005 12:13 PM PST

You can still salvage the project by turning off the KB of the stills that are in place, increase the size, turn back on.

Glad I could help, the same problem happened to me and it took a while to realize what was going on

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.