Mac Applications forum

Resolved Question

iMovie/iPhoto or adobe elements premiere 11

by Rhorr77 / March 20, 2013 8:17 AM PDT

I have an iMac but I recently read some reviews about Adobe Premiere suite. I watched some videos as well. Looks just as good as iMovie and iphoto but I think Adobe is easier and has more features.

Any suggestions of pros and cons?

Rhorr77 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMovie/iPhoto or adobe elements premiere 11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMovie/iPhoto or adobe elements premiere 11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Rhorr77

Collapse -
iMovie/Adobe Elements Premier
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 8:28 AM PDT

Pros: One is free, the other is not.
Cons: One is free, the other is not.

Have you ever used iMovie to do any editing with?

P

Collapse -
Ok
by Rhorr77 / March 20, 2013 10:57 AM PDT

Yes I have but not much. But recently I had a problem. You've answered my other posts mrmacfixit. I recently moved all my media files to an external hardrive and now iMovie can't see them. Apparently I did it wrong and need to redo it.

A friend of mine told me about Adobe. I checked it out and downloaded the free trial. It looked for all Media and saw everything.

Also, some feature appear to me be easier. I'm on vacation right now and can't use it so I haven't spent much time with it but I wanted some opinions.

Thanks again mrmacfixit.

Collapse -
I certainly did but you never replied
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

to my post.

Did you do as asked and put the video into folder called iMovie Events?

P

Collapse -
Can't remember.
by Rhorr77 / March 21, 2013 1:47 AM PDT

I'm on vacation atm. Also, I've been handling a few other things, too many things at the same time lol, like some home renos and playing the trip (a few weeks ago). I don't think I did though, because as soon as I realized that I transferred the info incorrectly and then iMovie and iphoto could t see then data, I just got frustrated. I bought my apple computer for things to be seemless. However, lately my computer had been a lot slower. I get the spinning colored beach ball a lot. At times I think my computer just freezes.

I believe that I mentioned in my previous post that my internal hardrive had crashed and apple replaced it under warranty. I think all my problems with the computer speed started at that time. I'm sure that over the past 4 years of owning my iMac, I've downloaded stuff. The only truly sensitive stuff are the pictures and videos. So what I was thinking of doing was wiping out my internal harddrive completely, like reformatting the hardrive and starting over. However, I think the time machine will just repopulate my computer the way it is now. I dunno what else to do but a slow computer isn't fun at all.

My long term plans are to give my current iMac to my kids and give them the time capsule. Then I want to buy a new iMac and time capsule and start over for myself. I'm also planning on buying a GOOD digital camera. Right now we have one of those inexpensive point and shoot cameras and iPhones. A friend of ours (on vacation with us) is a professional photographer. The pictures he has taken are incredible!! So I'd like to take a course and buy a good camera.

Anyway, I'm still on vacation taking more videos and pictures with our cheap camera Happy

The reason I asked about adobe is because I believe that after I downloaded it, it asked if I wanted it to search for all my media. I clicked yes. Then when it was done, I saw a huge inventory. However, because I downloaded adobe the day before I left for vacation (stupid me because its a free 30 day trial and I'm not home to use it! But back soon, so I'll have some time) I didn't really have a chance to see if it was all the media...to be 100% sure. But I think it did see all the media...which makes using it seem a lot easier than apples iMovie and iPhoto! Which I never would have thought...

So while I've been away, I've been receiving emails from adobe, showing different video clips on how to use their product. It seems very similar to iMovie and iPhoto. I believe that all the different photo and movie editing programs on the market today are going to be able to do most of the same kind of stuff anyway. It's just a matter of preference. Atm, I don't have a preference but the videos provided by adobe convey its simplicity and variety of feature for beginners to pros...

I was just curious to see if people have used both and prefer one more than the other. How about mrmacfixit?

Collapse -
(NT) Only ever used iMovie and dabbled in Final Cut Pro
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't remember.
Collapse -
Actually...
by Rhorr77 / March 21, 2013 2:01 AM PDT

Theres another question I want to ask...although it isn't my priority right now. Where can I find a course on taking photos and what features are available in digital cameras that I would be interested in? I'm sure there's a forum for that Wink

Collapse -
there is a Digital Photography Forum here
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually...
Collapse -
A lot has happened
by Rhorr77 / April 3, 2013 12:09 PM PDT

Hello again. Well, I wanted to come back to my own thread...I have a couple actually, and update or put and end to any that have been resolved...So this is meant to respond to those who did respond to my question(s)...out of respect. I'm sure some threads get answered, but the thread starters (me in this case) never say so...

This response is meant to address this thread and I think a couple others, which i will direct back to this one.

So Mrmacfixit and I think Mrprofitt, I've been busy trying to fix some issues with my iMac.

1)Remember my freezing problem? When I would try using the app I downloaded called "tutor for iMovie"...the reason was because I need to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion...problem gone. Thanks Stephan from Apple tech support!!!

2)Remember the hard drive question regarding storing my pictures and video files? I simply bought 2 X 3TB harddrives and have a copy of everything on each one...

3)Then I asked about iMovie/iPhoto or Adobe PS and Premier Elements...Well, that one I'm still working on. My concern though is that when I want to import the photos and video...if I should use iPhoto/iMovie, Image Capture or Adobe Organizer. I read an article that says iPhoto is kinda stingy with sharing photos after they have been imported into iPhoto, using iPhoto. One person suggested using image capture instead and just saving the pics in a seperate folder...then importing them into iphoto or adobe from there.

I like using iPhoto to import though, because the pictures are so well organized. I know that I can use Adobe's organizer and "import from iPhoto" but I dont know if there is a difference in the pictures raw format...if there is no difference, then its just as easy as that...import into iPhoto which saves the files in iPhoto Library and the load all the pics into organizer using the "import from iPhoto" feature...

Thoughts?

Collapse -
Thanks for getting back to us, but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: A lot has happened

if the "fix" was truly as simple as updating to Mountain Lion, then there must be millions of Lion using Mac users out there with the same problems as you had.

The upgrade to ML just replaced whatever was bent in your original OS and made the problem go away.

I'll wager that a "Clean" install of Lion would have had the same effect, but would have taken longer.

P

Collapse -
Yes
by Rhorr77 / April 3, 2013 10:14 PM PDT

I think that's right. Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.