Audio & Video Software

General discussion

iMovie Equivalent on PC?

by wask / February 23, 2005 3:40 AM PST

Hey guys, new to the forums and just getting ready to dive into video editing.

I have used iMovie and really liked the ease of use as far as editing and applying effects go.

I am looking for a PC equivalent to iMovie, is there one out there?

Im just converting family movies for Christmas gifts for next year... so as long it is simple like iMovie, its great...

THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMovie Equivalent on PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMovie Equivalent on PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's been reported to me that Sony's Vegas is the closest
by Kiddpeat / February 23, 2005 6:28 AM PST

thing on the PC to iMovie. Certainly, that had to refer to the lite version of Vegas (I think Sony calls it Studio). Full blown Vegas is far more powerful than iMovie.

Collapse -
iMovie Equivalent on PC?
by jcrobso / February 23, 2005 6:48 AM PST
Collapse -
What Ever You Do...
by jedi4gvn / May 6, 2005 5:12 AM PDT

Stay Away from the Pinnacle Software - please.

I bought that software (Studio 9)with my Canon ZR90 camcorder for the holidays last year. I did the research on the camcorder, but not on the software.

When I finally went to Pinnacles website, I got lost with all of their message boards and the such & then I couldn't use Studio 9 because of some patch or something that took me sometime to find. Finally when I needed to unistall the software, it wouldn't let me to so. I was bummed.

I myself am a newbie with capturing video and editing myself.

Started using Windows Movie Maker ver.1, (their latest version is available with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 -SP2 - Which I don't have, yet).

Windows Movie Maker is so/so, not bad to kinda start off with.

Collapse -
thats true
by coolkid5912 / May 26, 2005 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: What Ever You Do...

why its okay but god they can do better than that. They can at least try to let u download and listen to all the stupid music u want to listen to.

Collapse -
Pinnacle
by Fredcarter / July 31, 2009 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: What Ever You Do...

Hi I am going to have to defend Pinnacle studio as the ease of use and such are outstanding compared to Ulead.
Studio 11 is a brilliant program and the ease of applying effects and titles is second to none.

Collapse -
Re: iMovie Equivalent on PC?
by javierdl / February 24, 2005 7:29 PM PST

Yes there is. At least in WinXP there is a program called Windows Movie Maker.
I have used it only a couple of times, but it's simple enough and it has most features one would need to do a simple movie. It even has transitions and effects.
You can always read more about it at the Microsoft web site.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Win MovieMaker not even close
by James Wojciehowski / February 25, 2005 8:17 AM PST

Although MovieMaker meets the criteria of free with the OS, it is sorely limited and frustratingly convoluted in its functionality.

Stick with iMovie. You won't regret it.

Collapse -
iMovie isn't much to write home about either,
by Kiddpeat / February 25, 2005 3:54 PM PST

although it may well be better than Windows Movie Maker. I've never used Movie Maker, so I don't know.

Collapse -
Magix for PC
by willj / February 27, 2005 12:02 AM PST

I use Magix Video deluxe 2.0 and have made sports videos for the past 3 years and it works great.
It has too many features to mention all but you can scroll text, do many fades between scenes, use box in a box scenes (see Grey Street video with Dave Mathews)
add music over dialogue or dialogue over music, slo-mo,and it has a music editor so you can use only the music bits you want. Or create loops out of popular music. It burns to cd, svcd, mpeg 2 and 3 and dvd. It was cheap too (49 bucks on sale at Best Buy) The more you use it the more features you find. Give it a whirl. The web site has forums with users that can give tips on basic or advanced stuff.

Collapse -
iMovie Equivalent on PC?
by LilyR / February 27, 2005 8:30 PM PST

Its equivalent is probably Windows Movie Maker - at least that's the simplest one and it comes as part Windows XP so you wont have to buy it...

Collapse -
Haven't found anything yet
by Shrout1 / January 26, 2006 2:29 AM PST

I'm in the same boat as you are, trying to find something as simple and powerful as iMovie.

For my pro and work related jobs I use Adobe Premiere Pro, which is a very nice piece of software.

What I want, however, is something that can easily work with stills and make a good slideshow - spefically I'm looking for the Ken Burns effect. I haven't had any luck finding anything that comes close.

Looks like I may have to stick it out and go the long PC way.

Collapse -
Oops... old topic
by Shrout1 / January 26, 2006 2:30 AM PST

Looks like I accidentally just dredged up a dead one...

Collapse -
Film editing
by Fredcarter / September 30, 2009 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Oops... old topic

Although I am Pinnicle user and not a Ulead fan, I believe that Ulead Does have a good slide show making utility, though why you would just want to make slide shows is beyond me. there must be cheaper alternative programs designed to just make slide shows.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sony's $99 version VEGAS is the clostest. John
by jcrobso / January 27, 2006 2:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Slideshow Software
by lacarrol / July 30, 2008 9:43 AM PDT

ProShow Gold is great for making custom slideshows, has lots of effects, including motion (Ken Burns effect). It's a great little program and easy to use. Download a demo at:

http://www.photodex.com/

Collapse -
I know one
by Duykur / March 15, 2007 6:57 AM PDT

try Adobe Premiere elements, it's the scaled down version of premiere ( they used it to make superman returns!)I use it, it has many of the effects of imovie but is hard to use.

Collapse -
I AM THE ONE, THE ONLY, >>>>>__jwkware__<<<<<
by notcharlie / October 15, 2007 2:16 PM PDT

Hey, I use a bunch of different video editing programs, I use windows movie maker, sony vegas, power director, after effects, and particle illusion. if you truly want a good range of effects will the editing and output format you want, then you need to use more than one program, although keep in mind by using more than one program on each video you could dramaticly reduce the quality of the video.

Collapse -
Adobe Premiere 4.0
by messi6 / July 25, 2008 11:42 PM PDT

I have been looking for a similar product for a long time. I have windows xp and I use Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 for videos. It works very well and is pretty simple. I have used i Movie before... some things are better on iMovie, others Adobe. Like on Adobe, you can show more than one video or picture at a time and freely change the size. An iMovie advantage is cropping. Adobe can crop videos, but not as you want it. There are a few crop presets on Adobe but you can be more precise on iMovie. The Adobe software is definitely a product to consider. It has loads of transitions effects, video and audio presets to save as, great dvd menus, and more!

Collapse -
Sony Vegas Studio
by Hank Vonk / June 1, 2010 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Premiere 4.0

I'm an iMovie09 user, but want to drop the "two platforms" here (Mac and PC) so I'm looking for a replacement for iMovie. Now , first off, iMovie is GREAT! And second, there is no "real close" program to it. But... the wife uses Windows MovieMaker2.6 on her Win 7 machine, and it's a fairly simple, yet powerful enough program to do most video work on. Now if you're wanting iMovie equal or MORE power.... Of the several programs i've tried, Sony Vegas Studio does it, and does it well. What sold ME on it, is the EXTREMELY powerful "Help" section.. super index of topics, great info and explanations, a "walk thru" program that shows you all the highlights on the program, what is where, what it DOES, etc... and the Online Help Forums, with pro-users who can handle is seems even the most "tricky" problems! That, and compared to the Corel Video and Magix Video programs I demo'd first, it's the Cheapest of the Three!! Hope this helps someone..

Collapse -
Windows Movie maker is the way to go
by ninjasheriff / July 25, 2010 5:50 PM PDT

I have made many videos with WMM, and it's quite easy. I Don't really like the HD support, as it is very frustrating to work with. And the end quality isn't worth the save wait. Effects, unfortunately, are Few. They're not that good, either. I have seen a trial version of Sony Vegas, but, it looks very hard to operate. I've seen videos of it's work, and they come out great. Hope I Helped you out a bit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.