Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

Imminent Toolbar Spyware

by SuzieJRN / April 25, 2013 2:40 PM PDT

I just purchased an ASUS touchscreen notebook, and the same day downloaded "JPEG Lossless Rotator" from CNET. I was immediately infected with the Imminent Toolbar & all it's associated crap. It was impossible to remove. It changed my home page and search engine and wouldn't allow me to change it back or disable it. It also wouldn't allow me to uninstall it nor could I get on the internet to download any malware or spybot program to delete it. I had to put my brand new computer in the shop to have it removed, which cost $94. This is the second time I've downloaded something from CNET and had this happen. Why don't you screen the programs you sponsor more closely???

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Imminent Toolbar Spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Imminent Toolbar Spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This news saddens me..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 11:29 PM PDT

I'm so very sorry to hear of your experience. Sad

It's not my intent to dismiss or minimize what you went through. OR.. to make excuses for what happened. It sounds as if you chose to use the CNET Download.com Installer, instead of clicking on "Direct Download Link" (just below the green "Download Now" button) which bypasses the "download manager".

If you mouse over the "Download Now" button, with "CNET installer enabled" just underneath in the same green box, a pop-up will appear which states:

'About CNET Installer: The CNET Download.com Installer is a tiny ad-supported stub installer or "download manager" that helps securely deliver your downloads from Download.com's servers. We also include offers for carefully screened software that complies with Download.com Software Policies as part of our Installer process. Learn more'

According to Jen from CNET Support / Customer Help:

'You also have the option to turn off the Installer for the whole site, though you do currently need to have a CNET account and be logged in to take advantage of that feature. To do so, login to the site, click the "My profile" link and then the "Update my Download.com Preferences" link, select the "Off" option and click the "Save Changes" button.

If you need any further assistance, please contact our support team directly by filling out the form and clicking "Submit" on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c
'

In the future.. IF you ever find yourself with an unwanted toolbar (no matter the software OR download site), there are (free) tools and/or methods to remove them. At the very least, post and ask prior to spending your hard earned money at a shop. You have nothing to lose by doing so.

Again. I'm not making excuses for what happened. But only making you aware of the alternatives.

Consider me .. "only the messenger"..
Carol

Collapse -
Yes it saddens me too
by SuzieJRN / May 1, 2013 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: This news saddens me..

I understand all that you said.....now, after the fact. I realize I am not as computer savy as some folks here (I'm a flight nurse by trade, but use a laptop daily at the base, in the aircraft, etc). But in truth, I shouldn't have to click the "direct download" to void getting an unwanted adware/malware program from your site. There is obviously a problem with the CNET installer and it should be revamped or scrapped entirely. And in regards to "asking for help before I spend money", trust me I did. My entire web browser was corrupt, and I could not get on the internet to even attempt to download any malware/spyware cleaner. And my computer is still in the shop. They have tried multiple times to clean my system but keep coming up with new infections that are embedded in the system. They have told me that when a malware program embeds this deeply, that sometimes it leaves things "broken" (not a technical term I know). They are left with no other option than to save my files and wipe out my system, losing several of my embedded programs. And this is a brand new computer that I owned a total of 3 days before this happened. And yes, I do trust these folks fixing my system, they are the top rated computer repair company in my area and several of the technicians are friends. I've always trusted CNET, but no longer. Do I have some recourse against you for such malicious destructive behavior???

Collapse -
Who is you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it saddens me too

Sorry but the moderators here have little influence over this and if you read the moderator responses you should find some common advice.

I didn't find the items destructive in my tests so far. Alarming? Yes. But I understand that most folk can't deal with the removal and why there are nice folk in nice forums to help abate the unwanted things.

So with that out of the way I hope you can amend the "you" in your posts.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Impossible
by mukhtarsaad / April 26, 2013 7:05 PM PDT

My main downloading platform is cnet download but i have never face such problem but if you are saying than this must be true.

There are many ways to change your browser search engine google it and change it.

Try direct download link from cnet.

Collapse -
CNET has always been a trusted name
by 3strokes / June 21, 2013 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Impossible

...but this is the first I have heard that I should not trust ANY of the buttons
that I see on CNET but only some.
I wish that this kind of alert could be shown on the CNET pages.
If I click on the not direct download, we should get a red pop-up warning us
about the possibility of infection, and if we click on the "safe" download
button, then a green pop-up that CNET considers this link "safe".

Collapse -
Cnet is dead
by bluemark2007 / July 14, 2013 4:26 AM PDT

cnet is a sellout company with stupid, money grabbing habbits. Regardless of the "careful" selection they do for their spyware, the bottom line it is spyware. Carol, you should be ashamed you work for such a company - and I'd start looking for another job as CNET *will* die as a result of these stupid things that they are doing. 3strokes, CNET *used* to be trusted, it certainly shouldn't be now.

Collapse -
Ashamed to work for such a company? Look for another job?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Cnet is dead

Hi bluemark2007..

You wrote, 'Carol, you should be ashamed you work for such a company - and I'd start looking for another job as CNET *will* die as a result of these stupid things that they are doing'

Just to be clear, in case you were unaware. The moderators here are unpaid volunteers.

The reason I remain here continues to be for the same reason I started here years ago. To try to help members whenever and however I'm able. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My original decision to help had nothing at all to do with CNET's (trusted) reputation. And it still has nothing to do with it.

When I first started out, I learned a great deal from the moderators and members. I chose to stay and ...... "pay it forward". It's as simple as that.

Best of luck to you..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.