Mac OS forum

General discussion

Immediate Help Needed With Mac PLEASE

by Hauzster / February 18, 2013 12:45 PM PST

Okay. Here is what happened. I tried to install Windows 7 on my Mac with Boot Camp. When it restarted, and went to setup, it couldn't find the install.

I read somewhere that when someone was installing Win7 on a laptop, they had to switch the USB ( I was using a USB drive ) to a 2.0 port. I tried to use http://xoneforum.allen-heath.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5294&title=macbook-pro-usb-30-issue-fixed to get USB 2.0 on my iMac.

About a few hours later, I couldn't use my USB drive on my Mac and figured it was because of that. I told myself to change it back to 3.0 later.

Today, when I turned on my Mac, both my Apple keyboard and Apple mouse wouldn't connect to the computer. I then tried to use a USB keyboard and USB mouse, but I figured that because of the USB 2.0 and 3.0 stuff, it wouldn't work.

Now, I'm going crazy. My mom thinks I got a virus because of downloading stuff, and it's nowhere near because of that. PLEASE help me I beg of you guys.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Immediate Help Needed With Mac PLEASE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Immediate Help Needed With Mac PLEASE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you were using a USB drive to install
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 9:02 PM PST

Windows 7 on?

You almost certainly do not have a virus but you have certainly messed up something.

Try booting from the Recovery Drive and see if there is anything there that could help

P

Collapse -
Some Info
by Hauzster / February 19, 2013 11:23 AM PST

Here is some information you should know first:
1. Windows 7 is NOT installed.
2. I do NOT want to install Windows 7 anymore.
3. No USB drives will work.
4. I can't choose where to boot from because no keyboards work.
5. I just want to use my Bluetooth Apple keyboard and Apple mouse to work again.

Collapse -
Get yourself a wired keyboard,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Some Info

any one will do, even a Windows one.
With the machine on, insert the OS X installation disc, if you have one, and restart the machine while holding down the Option key (Apple keyboard) or ALT key (Windows keyboard)

Try to recover any of the data that you have not backed up. You do backup???

Reinstall the OS.

If no discs, using the same keyboard, hold down the Option key while booting and choose the Recovery Partition.
Reinstall the system.

P

Collapse -
Let's get things straight
by Hauzster / February 20, 2013 9:46 AM PST

I don't have an OS X installation disc. In fact, I don't even have a disc drive.

No. I don't backup. I don't have a spare hard drive, and my parents wouldn't buy one. My mom would just lecture me about why we don't need one (e.g., "If you didn't download stuff or do all these technology things, then we wouldn't need to backup!" <- This kind of talk annoys the f*ck out of me)

In my last post I said:
3. No USB drives will work.
That also includes wired/USB keyboards.

Collapse -
Let's get things more straight
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 8:54 PM PST

Notwithstanding that your Mom holds the purse strings, and with all due respect to her, not backing up has nothing to do with "downloading stuff and doing technology things".
It's just plain common sense.

What type of laptop do you have that does not have an Optical Drive? Macbook Air perhaps. You never did share that information.

P

Collapse -
*sigh*
by Hauzster / February 21, 2013 7:44 AM PST

Well, I don't think any of this will matter anymore, because my parents have brought in the iMac for repairs and I have no idea what the repair guys are going to do.

My mother just would not stop talking about stuff that I've done that could have broken the Mac, and I can't tell her why something isn't working because I don't know what isn't working for the repair guys. They can't use the USB ports? They can't use the Bluetooth keyboard/mouse? I don't know.

If possible, could you tell me how exactly a Mac user would get malware? Do they have to enter their password before they get the trojan/virus? Can a simple file such as a movie get you infected? I'd like to tell my mom that it is only because the USB ports won't work, but I don't know if the repair guys were trying to use a wired keyboard/mouse. Instead, I'll just have to tell her why it isn't what she thinks (e.g., games, movies, music, Java, torrents).

Collapse -
Ah, you have an iMac, well you used to.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: *sigh*

The iMac was screwed by you, not by malware.

You went off and read "somewhere" about a problem that you did not even know you had.
So you "Fixed" the problem you didn't know you had and shut down the USB ports.

No Malware, just you installing something that you thought you actually needed.

There have been cases of "Movie" files carrying a virus but that was only on Windows machines. Of course, it is possible that you downloaded a virus when you were messing with Windows 7. You did have Anti-Virus software running on the Boot Camp/Windows 7 partition, I hope.

Games, OK
Movies, OK
Music, OK
Java, Bad
Torrents, incredibly bad.

P

Collapse -
Sooo...
by Hauzster / February 21, 2013 9:02 AM PST

Are you trying to help me, or are you trying to insult me?

Collapse -
I can't help you,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: Sooo...

you no longer have the machine.

I was merely pointing out that you cannot blame anyone for this problem, except yourself.

P

Collapse -
It's over now
by Hauzster / February 21, 2013 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: I can't help you,

I'm done. This is the last time I'm posting in this entire forum.

Collapse -
(NT) Bye
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: It's over now
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.