Tablets

Alert

iMiTO AM801 8-Inch Android 2.3 PC Tablet ? legit?

by Argilval / December 13, 2011 10:16 AM PST

This android based tablet is being sold via Dealfind, Groupon, and other 'deal' sites. 100s of them around the world! No retail store carries it as far as I can tell. I could not find any independent reviews about this product other than some praise that are likely written by the company itself. It seems to come from China, and claims that it retails regularly about 400$ now about 150$ as a 'deal'. The company is called China Grabber, or you can get it from 'Dino Direct'. Does anyone know about this tablet and has this been assessed by an independent reviewer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMiTO AM801 8-Inch Android 2.3 PC Tablet ? legit?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMiTO AM801 8-Inch Android 2.3 PC Tablet ? legit?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Notice no memory card slot at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2011 10:28 AM PST
Collapse -
reply re imito android tablet
by Argilval / December 13, 2011 1:36 PM PST

Yes, I noticed the China Grabber website. But who are they? The 'about us' on their website claims that they are <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> a whole seller and retailer. But retail where? Nowhere except in cyberspace. And who wrote this review? Themselves in my opinion. And no legitimate third party such as CNET ever wrote a review of this tablet.
Their address appears to be in Oregon, but are not BBB accredited. Searching info on the company I found out that they are a 'drop shipper'. They simply import stuff from China and resell it in North America. Research the company and see the complaints! I know many good products are made in the far east including China, but such come from legitimate companies with good quality control. Great prices, but if it is too good to be true then it probably is not what it claims to be.

Collapse -
Some folk could use that model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2011 1:52 AM PST

But it is one of those no-support, disposable tablets you will see widely.

The lack of the card slot was the death blow if I could consider this one.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll let you know how it goes...
by sjackso2 / December 14, 2011 7:15 AM PST

I've just ordered one. I'll let you know how it goes... Happy

Collapse -
You are brave
by Argilval / December 14, 2011 1:02 PM PST

Did you google them? Did you see all the complaints on YouTube ? I still think they are scam artists and prey on the rest of the world. How can for ex. something be originally 450$ if it was never really sold at that price? Even in Dubai they sell only via Dealfind or the like.
I hope you will get a good one. ( but part of me wants to be right too)
So good luck.
(I bought a Lenovo idea pad K for 300$ from Bestbuy. It was on sale. . They have another 16K lenovo android tablet for 199$)

Collapse -
That's the right price for most of us.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2011 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: You are brave

While folk crave a 99 buck model, 199 looks to get the full Android experience.

Collapse -
Imito AM801 = Blitz RS8 ?!?!?!?!
by DvS1SiX / December 23, 2011 3:21 AM PST

After a few days of shopping around for different 'cheaper' tablets, I saw that same thing on dealfind, and kind of went off impulse and ordered one, which is really not like me to order something without properly researching it first. So after ordering it on Dec. 12th, I started to look up the company and couldn't really find anything about it. but I just recently found out and have not yet confirmed it but a few different people are telling me that it is also called the 'Blitz RS8'and from looking at all the pictures and a few videos posted on youtube.com, they do look exactly alike. I also bought a lenovo ideapad A1 for 199.99. Not as good as the K1 but its for my younger (18 year old) brother...

Collapse -
Ideapad A1 vs Imito
by Argilval / December 23, 2011 9:57 PM PST

This Lenovo pad was well rated by Consumers report. I bought the 32k one for my daughter. She loves it. I would never spend 99 bucks even on something unproven. But perhaps am over cautious. Better 199$ for one that I can return than 99$ for one I cannot.
There are several other fishy products coming out of China such as book readers that challeng Kobo. Buyer beware is all I can say. I was on a business trip in Shanghai a few years ago and went to a nice looking store to buy an iPod at a great price! I tried it. It looked authentic and sounded great. Then I chose two different colors as gifts for family. They were sealed. At home they proved to be a dud. Had to throw them out. Only the store demo worked I guess to lure foreign customers.

Collapse -
Better than expected...
by sjackso2 / December 29, 2011 8:29 AM PST

Just received it today and I was immediately impressed by the boot up time and the responsiveness of the touch screen.

Collapse -
Great Value
by kat123000 / January 24, 2012 3:27 AM PST

I received mine a couple weeks ago. I was not sure about it when I first purchased it. I love it. I have had no problem at all. It does everything my daughter's i pad 2 does. Most everyone should realize most of our electronics are made in china. It's great. You can spend hundreds of dollars for one if you want to, but this is a good deal. Sjackso2 is right. No I am not one of their spys writing nice reviews for their products.

Collapse -
Blitz RS8
by DvS1SiX / December 23, 2011 3:23 AM PST

yo yo I ordered mine on Dec. 12, did you receive yours yet?!?! oh and any word on the Imito AM801 and the Blitz RS8 being the same tablet?!?! looks like it from the pictures and videos though...

Collapse -
iMiTO AM801 = Blitz RS8 = Bad = Please don't buy
by brucetum / December 23, 2011 4:47 PM PST

Dear all, please don't buy this product no matter it's called imito am801 or blitz rs8, it is just bad. I bought it through groupon, from dinodirect.com. On the first day it was fine, good download and browsing speed. Actually it was quite nice to hold and type, a good size. But on the 2nd day, it was really slow to unable to browse website or connect to facebook app or any app that access internet. Especially Android market app, it totally not able to connect, don't talk about downloading any app. I have to search for app apk to install manually. I have tried changing the wifi channel, connecting different network, reseting to factory default a few times but all doesn't work so what to do? I have chat online with dinodirect customer support but the guy "Otto" disappeared after I demand a replacement. Then I opened a case through email and until now already 2 days but no news from them. Well it's a lesson learned!

Collapse -
Sorry locking this thread.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 24, 2012 6:31 AM PST

Unfortunately a few of the replies within this thread are from different accounts but from the same member which leads me to believe that someone is trying to hype up this product. This is dishonest and misleading to our members and readers who depend on trustworthy buying advice. The thread is now locked and the shilled posts have been removed. Sorry to disappoint folks, you can blame the dishonest folks for this action.

-Lee
CNET Community

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.