Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Image search not showing pictures in google image search

by rjw21372 / November 26, 2007 11:19 PM PST

Hi,

My sister is having a problem with searching on google images, she has a wireless toshiba laptop, using vista, and when she image searches in google the boxes appear but they are all blank, yet when she searches in MSN images or Yahoo images the images appear fine,

I have gone to tools and checked the settings for automatically loading images and i cant see any advice on googles help site,

Can anyone suggest a reason or a fix for this,

Look forward to hearing back,

Cheers

RJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Image search not showing pictures in google image search
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Image search not showing pictures in google image search
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Couple Of Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 27, 2007 1:23 AM PST

Please download and install the newest versions of Java and the Flash Player from the links below:

First, download the newest version of Java using the instructions below..

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the ''Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 3'' download button. Follow the prompts, accept the license agreement, then download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, (It appears like you may not though) open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u3 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

After the new Java is installed, then open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Internet Options'' icon, then click on the ''Advanced'' tab. When that loads, scroll down to the ''Java(Sun)'' section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to: ''Use JRE 1.6.0....''. Click on Apply. You can also UNCHECK the box next to the "JIT Compiler..." box in the "Microsoft VM" section IF it's there. It's no longer needed.

Then scroll to the ''Multimedia'' section and verify there are CHECK marks in the ''Play Sounds In Web Pages'', ''Play videos in Web Pages'', & ''Show pictures'' box and UNCHECK the box next to ''Show download Placeholders:'', then click on Apply, then Ok.

Once Java is reinstalled, then visit the site below to first uninstall Flash completely.. Once that's done, then visit the site below to reinstall Flash.. If you have more than one browser type, then you'll need to revisit the link below with each browser.. For example, Firefox uses a downloadable Flash installer while Internet Explorer uses an online Flash Installer.

Uninstall Flash
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

Once that's done, disable the popup blocker on Internet Explorer, then visit the site below and reinstall Flash..

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&%3BLang=French&%3BP5_Language=French

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
firefox
by rjw21372 / November 27, 2007 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: A Couple Of Thoughts..

Hi Grif and thanks for the reply,

My sister uses firefox, does that affect any of the steps you mentioned, and thanks for such a detailed reply,

RJ

Collapse -
Any Browser Needs Both Programs..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 27, 2007 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: firefox

..but one important point.. Although installing Java will suffice for both Internet Explorer and Firefox, you'll need to install separate Flash items for both IE and FF... It's easy to do, simply visit the Flash link I provided earlier while using each browser.. Internet Explorer installs the Flash ActiveX file while connect to the site online.. Firefox requires you to download a separate Flash plugin installer which you install from the desktop.. Either way, they're both fairly easy to do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Image search not showing pictures in google image search
by oraya1997 / May 22, 2009 2:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
update
by oraya1997 / May 22, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

the odd thing is i had the latest java installed and then deleted it and re-installed to try and follow your instructions. but now i have un-installed it and was going to re-install to try again but thought i would check image search first and guess what the images show in the search.

Collapse -
Still Nothing
by oa1965 / April 22, 2011 9:38 AM PDT

I did what you said and the problem is actually worse. Google images was at least loading images in the "any size" format but was showing grey thumbnails after the first two pages if I dared choose a specific size and refused to give information when I hovered on a thumbnail. Now it does the same thing for "any size" as well.

Collapse -
Google Image Search is not Working
by helmikuu / June 30, 2010 3:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
could be a few things...
by kibliss / September 4, 2012 2:50 AM PDT

Could be a few things. If its happening at the same spot every time and you are on wireless, then maybe your router's cache got all jacked up and needs a restart. Try using a ethernet cable and see if it makes a difference. Maybe it could be some temporary dns issue with your isp or router atm. I use google's opendns instead of my isp's. You can set that in your router or modem by typing in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the appropriate locations. You could also be having browser cache issues. Close the browser and start it back up or restart the computer (hopefully your ram or hdd isn't going bad trying to browse swap). I can't really see it being a problem with adobe flash, because it would either work or not work--not just partially.

Collapse -
Watch out for those OLD discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2012 2:55 AM PDT

While it's nice to read the advice about the Google DNS, try to keep it to issues folk have inside a week. Even at a month I find most owners will reinstall the OS rather than keep at it.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by kibliss / September 4, 2012 2:58 AM PDT

Yes but advice is better than no advice no matter how long the wait for it. Anyone can use this for future reference.

Collapse -
But FIVE YEARS LATER?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2012 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

My thought is how in the world do people get by if answers show up 5 years later.

Thanks but old posts, we hope will automatically close in some future forum update.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.