TVs & Home Theaters forum

Image Retention or Normal on LG Plasma

by gatorfanatic99 / November 27, 2012 8:37 PM PST

Hi, I have an 50in LG Plasma 50PA6500 and it works great. However, I notice one small issue with possible image retention.

When changing channels, I notice that the graphic that was being used on the previous channel has a faint silhouette against a black background when in between channels or on the new channel. I notice this even it was on the channel for just seconds or a few minutes.

If there's anything that seems somewhat permanent is the bottom where some channels have a ticker like Fox News. Again though, I don't leave the TV on all day, and might only watch these channels for a couple hours at a time. Plus I change channels frequently and when the commercials come one, the graphics are removed so it makes it hard for me to believe these images would be burned in.

My brightness and contrast levels are set to about 50 and 60 respectively. I called LG and they suggested running the ICM color wash but I really don't notice any difference. Is this something that's going to get worse over time? I wasn't really worried about it because I thought newer plasmas were not supposed to have this issue so much anymore.

Or, am I just being too picky because I just now noticed it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Image Retention or Normal on LG Plasma
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Image Retention or Normal on LG Plasma
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you follow any sort of break-in procedure(?)
by Pepe7 / November 28, 2012 12:16 AM PST

IME, at least on some models/makes, if you don't break in the panel you can sometimes see more instances of IR. IR is distinguished from burn-in since it's a temporary phenomenon that can normally be cleared up with pixel orbiters, etc.

Some makes/models perform better than others in this respect as well. But even on the ones that generally perform well (Panasonic & Samsung), I try to avoid watching static content with horizontal bars (etc.) for very long. YMMV, as far as whether or not the end user will necessarily have an issues similar to yours. Viewing habits/channels watched can indeed make a difference, especially if a panel hasn't been broken-in. <flame proof suit on now for disagreement on this issue.>

Collapse -
No Specific Break-In Period Specified
by gatorfanatic99 / November 28, 2012 12:58 AM PST

When I got my Plasma, the LG manual did not specify a break-in period but I did keep brightness and contrast levels at mid levels. It mentions to avoid burn-in by not leaving static images in place for more than 1 hour but like I said, if the channel goes to commercial, the images are gone. So I thought this would avoid static images, like CNBC which leaves their ticker on constantly.

All Answers

Collapse -
Image Retention
by sunwatcher / November 27, 2012 10:01 PM PST

I notice this on my Samsung plasma as well, but there has never been a permanent burn in of any image. It's always temporary and goes away after a short time. It will probably last longer if you have the same channel (e.g. Fox News) on for an extended period.

This CNet article might help allay your fears.

Collapse -
I Would Say it's More Like Image Retention
by gatorfanatic99 / November 28, 2012 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Image Retention

Thanks for the link. I would say that the problem is more like Image Retention than burn-in. Basically, the permanent part I'm seeing are different shades of black. However, it's still concerning how the images are retained even after just 30 seconds. Such as the time and channel indicators from DirecTV.

Collapse -
Pop over to AVS Forum and post there
by Pepe7 / November 28, 2012 5:06 AM PST

It sounds like either your panel is defective, or, you are noticing something that the rest of us who have had such large HDTVs for longer periods of time have effectively 'tuned out' while viewing. IME, the newer folks seem to notice a lot more picture artifacts/nuances than the folks who probably gave up doing the body count Wink YMMV, of course.

Collapse -
Panel is Deffective
by gatorfanatic99 / December 4, 2012 7:29 PM PST

LG has been pretty good about the whole thing. I called, and they wasted no time getting a technician out to the house. They are going to replace the logic board which consists of a new panel as well. He said that the image retention was occurring way too fast as when we were watching the LG logo bounce around on an input with no signal. Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
Glad to hear it
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2012 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Panel is Deffective

At least they are on the ball in getting you some replacement parts Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.