Cameras forum

Question

image quality Canon 280hs Panasoniczs30 Sony hx50v

by lenshoesss / June 10, 2013 2:42 AM PDT

Trying to choose between 3 cameras. Canon 280hs, Panasonic ZS30 and Sony hx50v. I will be visiting a lot of national parks so zoom is important. Most articles say the Canon has the best image quality under all conditions. I will primarily taking outdoor daylight pictures, and having some enlarged. Under those conditions should the image quality be basically equal between all of them? If so I am leaning towards the Sony.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: image quality Canon 280hs Panasoniczs30 Sony hx50v
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: image quality Canon 280hs Panasoniczs30 Sony hx50v
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For outdoor, daylight, should be similar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2013 2:59 AM PDT

But see what I did wrong on my video at link to be posted after this. I didn't carry my tripod and didn't add a wind noise reducer. It would have looked about the same on all those models.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Why some say the Canon has the best image quality.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 7:11 AM PDT

All three cameras use the same size sensor assembly.
The Sony has 20 MP (megapixels).
Panasonic has18 MP.
Canon has 12 MP.

Putting a large number of pixels on such a small sensor assembly means that each pixel must be smaller.
Smaller sensors mean more noise is generated.
Crowding so many pixels together causes crosstalk which results in additional noise.

The Canon has the least MP but the largest size pixels and the least crowding.
You get less noise and more detail.

To get rid of noise the camera maker must use noise reduction firmware in the camera.
Noise reduction firmware will also remove fine detail along with the noise.

When viewing the Canon photo at full size (called pixel peeping) you will see more detail.
On the other two cameras you will see the noise reduction problem on things like blades of grass and leaves on trees.
Instead of clear edges of the individual blades of grass and/or leaves, you will see a blending of the individual grass/leaves. It leaves a mushy look.

If you print your pictures at 4 x 6 inches you will never see the problem.
If you print at 10 x 13 inches or larger the Canon print will look better.

All of the cameras can produce excellent (daylight) photographs.
But they will struggle with photos with dim lighting.
Dim lighting means the camera must use higher ISO settings, and that usually means more noise.
Just keep the ISO setting under 400 and the noise level is usually OK.
For darker shots use a tripod and you can use longer exposure times.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.