Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Image Metadata

by mohitshewaramani / July 26, 2005 6:48 PM PDT

Issue: I need to change the date of digital pictures. I need to find some application to do this. Tryed one: Genus ViewMinder, downloaded from www.download.com. Did not exactly work as it is supposed to. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why: I used to have an old Gateway digicam (DC-M42). It was my first digicam. It had an annoying habit of resetting the date to 1/1/2003 everytime I took out the AA batteries to put them in the recharger. And it had REALLY short battery life. So pretty much every picture I have taken on that camera has the date: 1/1/2003. I have a different digicam now; a Sony DSC-W5, which thankfully does not do that. All my new pics have the proper dates on them. However, when I sat down to organize ALL my digital pics the other day, the Gateway pics turned out to be a real pain. Especially when using Adobe Photoshop Elements. Please help me!

Thanks a lot!
Mohit

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Image Metadata
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Image Metadata
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AttributeMagic Pro
by lgrunin CNET staff / September 16, 2005 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Image Metadata

Try AttributeMagic Pro (http://www.attributemagic.com/attributemagic_pro.html): it will do exactly what you want, including previewing the date change before applying it, and more. If you skip the $25 registration fee, you'll only be able to process 20 images at a time.

>>Lori

Collapse -
i tried it, but...
by davsam7 / July 6, 2006 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: AttributeMagic Pro

...the twenty file minimum was very annoying, and i didn't want to pay for a program to do a simple file attribute change.
so, to do what i wanted to do to my files (change the modified datetime to equal the created datetime) i did the following:

1. downloaded the free visual basic 2005 express edition from microsoft's msdn page and then installed it

2. fired it up and chose to create a new windows application

3. i place a button on the new form that's automatically created by double-clicking the button control on the toolbox. it's automatically named "Button1"

4. i double-click the button on the form and see the text "Public Class Form1" followed by a bit more that starts "Private Sub Button1_Click"

5. i select all the text and delete it. then i paste in the following text:

Imports System.IO

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
ProcessTree("e:\tunes")
End Sub
Private Sub ProcessTree(ByVal Dir As String)
Dim DirObj As New DirectoryInfo(Dir)

Dim Files As FileInfo() = DirObj.GetFiles("*.*")
Dim Dirs As DirectoryInfo() = DirObj.GetDirectories("*.*")
Dim Filename As FileInfo

For Each Filename In Files
Try
'*** THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT. THE NEXT LINE TELLS THE COMPUTER TO SET THE FILE'S LAST MODIFIED TIME TO BE EQUAL TO THE FILE'S CREATION TIME. THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN EXPERIMENT. SIMPLY TYPING "FILENAME." WILL BRING UP A LIST OF DIFFERENT FILE PROPERTIES, MOST OF WHICH CAN BE ALTERED ***
Filename.LastWriteTime = Filename.CreationTime
'*** END IMPORTANT BIT ***
Catch E As Exception
Console.WriteLine("Error changing attribute for {0}", Filename.FullName)
Console.WriteLine("Error: {0}", E.Message)
End Try
Next

Dim DirectoryName As DirectoryInfo

For Each DirectoryName In Dirs
Try
ProcessTree(DirectoryName.FullName)
Catch E As Exception
Console.WriteLine("Error accessing {0}", DirectoryName.FullName)
Console.WriteLine("Error: {0}", E.Message)
End Try
Next
End Sub
End Class

6. i then press F5. this starts the program. a window entitled "Form1" with a button with "Button1" on it appears.

7. i click the button. about ten seconds later all my mp3s have been updated and my winamp media library views work as i had intended.

i hope this will be of some use to people who might not want to pay for a program to do something that should be, and is, so free and easy. i realise this may be outside the scope of some, but i think that if you need to do a bulk replace of file information then you'll have no problem following the seven steps above.

HTH,
ez

Collapse -
additionally
by davsam7 / July 6, 2006 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: i tried it, but...

oops, a couple of things i forgot to add:

. this bit of code goes into subdirectories recursively and applies the timestamp change to files therein.

. where i put
ProcessTree("e:\tunes")
you should replace "e:\tunes" with the folder you want it to start at.

. attributemagic will change EXIF data that's encoded into pictures from digital cameras whereas this bit of code will not. changing EXIF data is a little more involved.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Which to change, the EXIF or the IPTC data?
by ChuckT / July 6, 2006 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Image Metadata
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.