Mac OS forum

Question

Image Capture Extension - Problem

by jtknyu / September 26, 2011 8:38 AM PDT

Using 2.8 GHz iMac and OS 10.6.8 I have developed a problem that seems to have stumped Apple at the AppleCare and the Engineers levels. Certain application launches lead to the Image Capture Extension running and progressively consuming all CPU use to the point that the Mac becomes useless. Other processes continue, but take longer and longer to execute. Simply clicking a file has no effect for minutes. Same for moving windows or any other Finder function. Certain applications will not run at all. Filemaker Pro 9 and 11 hang after their banner appears. iPhoto quickly slows to the point of not responding. Using Activity Monitor to spot the problem and using Quit Process to stop Image Capture Extension will restore some functions, but it will not reverse the fatal effect on FileMaker, iPhoto, and some other applications. The Apple engineers are still working on this, but it seems weird that with the problem identified they can't provide a solution, and I've been living with it for weeks as each AppleCare session leads to more referrals back to the Engineers and days of waiting for the expert to get back to me.
Has anyone had a similar problem??? Does anyone have a suggestion???

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Image Capture Extension - Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Image Capture Extension - Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I wonder if other accounts do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2011 11:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Image Capture Extension
by jtknyu / October 1, 2011 5:08 AM PDT

No other accounts do not. This is very much a User level problem. In fact, creating a new User resolves the problem UNLESS you use the same user name. My problem there is I have years and years of User stuff that I can't transfer easily to a new User. I'm disappointed that I've found other users going back to 2008 who have encountered the problem-even on Apple's site-and yet they have been unable to help so far. They've been thorough, patient, and seems to care, but to no avail. I'm now waiting yet again to "hear from the engineers."

Collapse -
If it is a user account problem
by macnerd10 / October 1, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

maintenance should be done. Cleaning caches, cookies, etc. Onyx, TinkerTool System, etc. If there is a preference of Image capture in your user library, I would try to trash it and see if this helps. If the extension relates only to browsers, I would then try getting browsers application support files (users>yourname>library>application support) from the new to the old account. That cured my problem with browsers not playing flash on some sites that no other maintenance routine could remedy.

Collapse -
Transferring to another account
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 1, 2011 11:42 PM PDT

is fairly easy, albeit time consuming.

Collapse -
Answer
Fix that works
by cooptron / November 8, 2012 1:55 AM PST

Per this apple forum, the fix that worked for me was the remove the Lexmark Scanner file in
/Library/Image Capture/Devices

I know this is an old thread, but it is the first that shows in a Google Search, so I figured it would be good to link to a usable solution that is less intense than the other solutions in this thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4140218?start=0&tstart=0

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.