Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

IMac Slow/PS CS2 breaking up images

by keltoid22 / April 3, 2009 12:23 AM PDT

I have an Imac at work, and it is agonizingly slow. Plus Photoshop CS2 is breaking up images so they are unworkable and is corrupting them. The hard drive says there is 202 GB available so -- is this a scratch disk problem and if so, why isn't 200 G enough?

Does anyone have any help as to what I can do to speed this up? I have ordered (or are ordering at some point) another stick of RAM - but I am quite sure the problem is not going to be completely solved with that.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IMac Slow/PS CS2 breaking up images
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IMac Slow/PS CS2 breaking up images
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Count your blessings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 12:40 AM PDT

WORK is the key here. Most of us get paid by the hour so your work has given you the tools to work at this speed. They pay you by the hour so why not keep working and if they want to do it faster they'll get you more RAM or a faster machine.

I'd look at this and call it a blessing.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by keltoid22 / April 3, 2009 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Count your blessings.

Okay, very helpful, like I said I'm getting more RAM. Anyway -- uh, yeah.
So - I like to get my work done in an efficient manner, I'm not some scrub taking advantage of my employer - plus its very frustrating for me to work like this when I can work on my pc at lightning fast speeds.

Anybody else know anything?

Collapse -
More ram, faster machine, faster hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Those are the usual speed ups.

Scrub or not, your work is at fault for the speed, not you or I.
Bob

Collapse -
You didn't mention
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

the specs on your iMac.
For all we know, you are running CS2 on an iMac G3 with 128MB of RAM.

Care to share the specs? Might make it easier to see what may be going on.
Also, you didn't mention whether this was a problem that had just surfaced or had been going on for a long time.

Give us something to work with here

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.