Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

iMac or Mac Pro?

by joe.aimonetti / July 21, 2009 4:53 AM PDT

What are the advantages and disadvantages to each setup?

Why would someone go with a Mac Pro?
What are you experiences with each system?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac or Mac Pro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac or Mac Pro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lol:
by In-Correct / July 23, 2009 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: iMac or Mac Pro?

You work for Cnet? Does that mean this is a trick question?
Anyways I have had a mac pro (actually power mac). I like it. It is a tower type of desktop which means easy to repair. an iMac is very complicated to repair compared to a mac pro. The iMac on the other hand began with a resemblence to the vintage Pizza Box and has now evolved to almost become a giant laptop...The screen bacame LCD or equivilent and the Hardware became smaller. The hardware items on newer iMacs are very small. This smaller hardware could mean energy efficiency.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by joe.aimonetti / July 27, 2009 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Lol:

This is not a trick question, rather more of a general inquiry. Everyone has their tastes as to what they think is a better Desktop solution. The first Mac I bought was the original lampshade iMac in 2003 (after using Macs throughout school), opting for the all-in-one solution as opposed to the G4 Tower.

One person's advantage is another's disadvantage. Look no further than the Mac v. PC debate for that one. Thanks for your response nonetheless!

Collapse -
Hello
by jacksonstewart / December 19, 2010 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Lol:

Is the LCD is better or Crt for the convenient performance..

Collapse -
Re: performance
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 19, 2010 8:21 PM PST
In reply to: Hello

Performance (how fast is it) isn't influenced by the screen type. So the answer to your question: it doesn't matter.

Kees

Collapse -
Mac Pro
by jchuzi / July 27, 2009 11:01 AM PDT

I have a Mac Pro and chose it because I wanted to have easy options for expansion. I added extra RAM (now have 5 GB) and three hard drives in addition to a second optical drive. Also, I do a lot of work with Photoshop and I need a monitor (currently a 23" Apple Cinema Display) that can be accurately calibrated. Current iMacs have a glossy screen and, although I have never used one, many photographers complain about the high gloss.

Obviously, your needs may vary so you'll have to draw your own conclusions.

Collapse -
iMac vs Mac Pro
by sturner--2008 / July 30, 2009 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac Pro

iMac is inexpensive compared to the Mac Pro. Someone on a budget would find the all-in-one design and price very attractive.

It is a seamless product for a user who isn't concerned with upgrading hardware components, who simply wants a competent computer to do run some programs, surf the internet, email, and do a few games.

Like most computers the iMac isn't optimized for games, and the high end games will likely stress its capabilities.

It comes with enough RAM and has the option for additional RAM.

My brother is a professional photographer and finds his iMac to be sufficient for his graphics needs. So it is a competent graphics workstation.

Price and performance, small footprint, and all-in-one form make it a very good small business/home businss and home computer.

Collapse -
Depends on what you need
by Former NT Guy / August 15, 2009 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: iMac vs Mac Pro

The replies pretty much sum up the general differences. Most will be quite happy with an iMac while others will opt for the Mac Pro.

I chose the Mac Pro because I needed a machine with the added capabilities of the Mac Pro. I currently have a hardware RAID with 1.3TB in a RAID 5 to store my data. I also added eSATA ports with an internal connector off if the motherboard. I am not sure about the latest models, but my 2008 has an eSATA port on the motherboard. You just need to add a connector cable with two ports (available at macsales.com for around $30 to have external eSATA. This allows even faster I/O with external drives for backups.

The setup that I use for my business has 16GB of memory, but not everyone will need this much.

The iMac is a very capable machine, but the Mac Pro is really a workstation class machine. Not everyone will need (or be able to afford) a Mac Pro for the majority of your computing needs.

Collapse -
imac vs mac pro
by ransomcosper / February 1, 2010 2:44 AM PST

i'm looking to upgrade from an old G4 (10.2). 95% of what i do is edit with Final Cut Pro. However, I want to move into editing HD and need to upgrade the entire system.

though the macpro is ideal, is the imac sufficient? i like the idea of upgradability but never did with my G4 so wonder if it's overkill.

Thanks!
Ransom

Collapse -
Imac vs MacPro
by iancoruther / December 19, 2010 5:37 PM PST

Mac Pro tackles demanding computing tasks with lots more style than any Windows-based tower, go for the mac pro if you still want to experience a desktop style pc.

iMac 2.8GHz i7
Base Price:1,999
CPU i7 Upgrade: $200
Memory (4 x 2GB from Apple): $200
Hard Drive (1TB from apple, not user replaceable): included
Graphics Card: included
External 2TB backup system: $280 (OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro)
Anti-Glare film (ClearCal): $40
Total: $2,719

Notes: No graphics future card upgrade. Backup is external. No way to add internal cards for eSATA or anything else. Screen somewhat compromised by anti-glare film.

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad-core Xeon
Base Price:2,499
CPU i7 Upgrade: not needed
Memory (4 x 2GB from Apple): $250
Hard Drive (640 from apple, 1TB from 3rd party): $80
Graphics card: $200
Internal 2TB backup drive (third party): $175
30" LCD Monitor: $1200
Total: $4,404

Notes: Large CPU box. Larger anti-glare monitor. RAM and card expandability. No camera or Mic.

Collapse -
off topic but
by MatrixS&V / August 19, 2009 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Mac Pro

how do you accurately calibrate an apple monitor? Where are the RGB gain and bias controls?

Collapse -
Perhaps it would be better to post that as a separate thread
by BeatleMegaFan / August 20, 2009 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: off topic but

in either the OS X forum or the general discussions area.

-BMF

Collapse -
iMac or Mac Pro
by jimn / September 3, 2009 4:51 PM PDT

I chose the Mac Pro for one simple reason. choice of monitors. My old setup was a G4 Dual 1.42 GHz machine with and 20 inch Apple Cinema Display. I loved that display and the 9 year old box was still running PhotoShop CS2 well. But, alas one day it died. I was originally looking at the iMacs, and any iMac today will be many times faster than my old setup, so it should run PhotoShop just fine. Problem is the monitor, while the Apple Displays are really very nice, I HATE GLOSSY monitors for Photo Editing. My eyes get tired, reflections are an annoyance and I find they don't work well in a scan/edit/print to paper environment. Its a personal preference, but its very important. Even MacBook Pro's used to have the glossy/matter options and that is disappearing as well. So my choice became, a MacBook Pro with an external monitor or a Mac Pro with a non Apple monitor. I opted for spending the bucks on the Mac Pro for the added expandability. My computer also acts as a music/video server and file server on my network and leaving a laptop running 24x7 is probably just going to cause some heat issues etc.

So if you like the iMac display, there is no reason to spend the bucks on the Mac Pro unless you will be doing extensive gaming, extensive video editing, or need the expandability. There is no questions, its a lot more money.

Collapse -
Well you're not taking a poll...
by mhollis55 / February 2, 2010 3:55 AM PST

If you are taking a poll, it's not scientific.

I purchased a Mac Pro to replace my 9-year-old G4-400 (Sawtooth) that I had upgraded with a 1GHz Sonnet processor upgrade and 1.5G of system RAM. I purchased what was the fastest Mac Pro Apple makes, because I believe it's a good idea to buy as much processor you can afford because it will last longer.

I dropped some $7,000 on my new Cheese Grater along with an Apple 24" Cinema Display.

Last fall, Apple released a new iMac that gave me pause. It contains a Quad Processor and it runs faster than my Mac Pro. With the same sized hard drive and the fastest processor Apple makes, it costs $2,700, which means I could just about purchase three for the price I paid for my Mac Pro. And the monitor's free. And it's bigger. And it's better technology.

I'm not suffering from buyer's remorse -- I like my Mac Pro. It has room for four internal drives and I have two that run in tandem, a 1.5T drive as my Time Machine backup, a 1T drive for my boot drive and a spare 1T cloned drive. Video is on my array.

If you are doing video applications, a Mac Pro gives you the expandability that you need to get the job done. And if you need a monitor that Apple does not sell (and they do sell good ones), you need a Mac Pro. But if you are doing anything but the most demanding of applications, the iMac is a really great value.

If all I was doing was design work, I'd get the 27 inch Core2Duo iMac. Occasional video with that, the Quad Core iMac. Heavy duty video where you must have an external array and you must have a cloned boot drive as well as a backup of everything, the Mac Pro Cheese Grater.

But that's an answer that really is a question: What are you doing with your Mac and what do you plan on doing? I have edited on Core2Duo iMacs and MacBook Pros and they work just great. But you should keep in mind that Apple's Final Cut Studio applications are still 32-bit applications with access to up to around 2G of system RAM. If you have Motion, Final Cut Pro and Color all open at the same time during your project, you're looking at these applications consuming 6G of system RAM. And these three applications will each use as many processors as are available (though I think Color may be using your GPU a whole lot, instead).

Apple won't make a version of Final Cut that doesn't work on a MacBook Pro. They realize they sell computers that way through their software and there are a lot of copies of Final Cut all over the world working away on their portable Macs in far off locations cutting down raw video for satellite feeds as well as editing outright in the field. But if you're editing a film project, using RED Cine, you should consider something more capable of handling, rotoscoping, compositing and editing really large images on monitors that can display the full color gamut. And for that, you need a Mac Pro.

Collapse -
Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro
by lafecia / December 5, 2010 6:12 AM PST

I am inclined to buy a Mac Pro.
Which Software "runs" better?
I'll be doing home video editing for DVD.

Can you give me a idea of how how should have the machine configured -CPU, RAM ect.

ALso it it true that it's better to go with a Non-Apple Monitir because their monitors a glossy, and therefore reflective?

Much appreciated.

Collapse -
Mac Pro
by bradtechcorp / December 5, 2010 11:14 AM PST

sorry for my last reply...Mac Pro is the best..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.