Mac Desktops forum

Question

iMac keeps searchong for bluetooth keyboard?

by dklosen / November 29, 2012 11:46 PM PST

Hello...I have a 27" iMac bought in 2011. I am using an apple usb keyboard. Sometimes when I start or restart, a dialog pops up that says something about no keyboard attached and the computer is searching for a bluetooth keyboard. The usb keyboard is definitely attached but does not work unless I pull the usb out and plug it back in. This hasn't happened since apple replaced the motherboard 3 or 4 weeks ago. Prior to that, my motherboard had issues that required apple to replace it. My motherboard issues were causing the computer to not display properly, but during that time, I started getting this same bluetooth keyboard search issue. Is it possible that my motherboard is again crapping out after 3 weeks? If not, any suggestions on what to check regarding this? Should I trash any bluetooth prefs, etc?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac keeps searchong for bluetooth keyboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac keeps searchong for bluetooth keyboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes, of course it is possible that the logic board is going
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 8:34 AM PST

the same way as the last one but the first thing I would try is to turn OFF Bluetooth.

That way, the system will not bother searching for one.

I would also consider replacing the keyboard with another USB one to see if you have the same, "Doesn't work until I unplug it", problem

If neither of those two things work, then it's back to Apple to get them to take a look at it

P

Collapse -
iMac overriding plug in keyboard with blue tooth
by effect63 / June 29, 2014 10:30 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem, plug in keyboard is totally dead and blue tooth search begins, have to restart the mac sometimes up to 3 times to get it to recognise there is a key board already plugged in. I have tried to turn the blue tooth off and it just resets itself to on again after the computer reboots.

Collapse -
(NT) try a clean install of OS X
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 29, 2014 10:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
iMac keeps searching for a bluetooth keyboard

I just turned mine off, unplugged the power cord and held the power button in for 10 seconds. Then I plugged it back in and turned it on. Wired keyboard is working now and it's not searching for the mysterious bluetooth keyboard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.