Mac Hardware forum

Question

iMac in trash

by djohlson / July 20, 2013 11:08 AM PDT

I wanted to empty the trash on my iMac and came across iMac in the trash. Don't know how it got there.
Thought it didn't belong in the trash and began moving it to the desktop. But there were thousands of files to be moved, so I stop the copying. In the trash iMac has a lot of dates. When I open them, there comes up the heading of Macintosh HD and such headings as--applications, library, users, a lot ending in tiff (1up dust.tiff, 1H-Text.tiff, etc.
Do I dare erase all those items? Don't want to crash my computer or get rid of essential items.
Confused.
Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac in trash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac in trash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Anything in the Trash cannot be used by the system
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 20, 2013 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: iMac in trash

which means that if your computer is behaving correctly, reboots and does everything else like it should do, then you can go ahead a empty the trash.

That said, take a look around your machine BEFORE you empty it and make sure that all your stuff, pictures, movies, music, etc. is still there and available to you.

Try the restart first.

P

Collapse -
iMac in trash
by djohlson / September 29, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

I have an iMac on my HD and one in the trash.
I can't empty "iMac" from the trash.
Everything seems to be working and in place elsewhere in my computer.
Don't know why I can't delete the iMac icon from trash.
D

Collapse -
Error message?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 29, 2013 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: iMac in trash
Collapse -
iMac in Trash
by djohlson / October 2, 2013 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Error message?

Hi P,
It worked!
Used CleanMyMac and trash is now empty. Thanks for your help.
I've been reluctant to use CleanMyMac, and MacKeeper thinking they might sabotage my files. Paranoid, I know. But there's so much hacking these days.
I really don't have anything interesting to be hacked, but someone might just have fun screwing my files.
Anyway, appreciate your help.
Thankfully,
D

Collapse -
Now get ride of MacKeeper.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 2, 2013 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: iMac in Trash

It is classed as Malware. You are right to be paranoid abut MacKeeper

Remove it from your machine.

Glad you got it fixed but you paid good money to do something that could have been done for free.

Use CleanMyMac in manual mode, never in Auto.

P

Collapse -
MacKeeper
by djohlson / October 2, 2013 10:54 AM PDT

I've uninstalled MacKeeper and moved it to trash.
Started deleting but stopped when I saw there are 1,765 items to be deleted. Does that make sense?
Is to going to delete all documents, etc.from my computer?
Makes me nervous when such a number is to be trashed.
Thanks,
D

Collapse -
Once again,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 3, 2013 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: MacKeeper

if you restart your machine and it runs as it should, then the number of items in the trash is of no consequence to you.

MacKeeper probably has that many little files that need deleting.

P

Collapse -
MacKeeper
by djohlson / October 4, 2013 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Once again,

Thanks P.
Sorry about being overly cautious.
D

Collapse -
(NT) No Problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 4, 2013 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: MacKeeper
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.