Computer Help

Question

Imac 7.1 OSX10.6.8 Safari: Missing install app

by denroth1 / February 15, 2013 2:41 PM PST

Tried to install tuneupmymac and got the message "Safari can't open this file because no available application can open it."
This happens often when I try to install apps. I assume that I accidentally deleted an important install app. Would appreciate help... not very tech savvy, so please try to keep it simple. Thx!<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Imac 7.1 OSX10.6.8 Safari: Missing install app
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Imac 7.1 OSX10.6.8 Safari: Missing install app
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd delete that and forget about such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 10:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you, Bob
by denroth1 / February 16, 2013 4:13 AM PST

Thx for your input Bob, but that doesn't address my problem of the missing install app. I'm not one to fool around with downloading unnecessary things. I'm extremely careful about what I click on. But, without this missing install app, I'm not able to install things like an anti-virus app.

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you, Bob

What virus is there for Mac OS X? If I can't find a virus, what is this antivirus looking for?

You see a lot of Windows users "programmed" to install an antivirus and they try to do that on all devices.

I'd like to avoid seeing you post "I installed virus cleaner 2013 and it mess up my Mac."
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks again, Bob...
by denroth1 / February 16, 2013 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Wait a second.

Every good Internet tech website has been telling us that as Mac sales are on the upswing, they're more and more likely to be targeted. Cnet recommends a few free anti-virus softwares. Trying to upload one of them is how I discovered my missing install app problem. Thx very much for you input, Bob, but I think you've helped me all you can.

Collapse -
We can do more but so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again, Bob...

Without a file name to work with, I can't get specific. You've brought up a few titles that if you ask the moderators you should read them telling you to forget about them.

Unlike Windows there is no installer system like that. If you want to dig into this more, all we need is the full file name.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.