Camcorders forum

General discussion

Im so confused with my Sony DCR-DVD610

by JBanks88 / February 19, 2008 2:19 PM PST

Guys, I just purchased a Sony dvd610 has the hard drive deal. Any ways how come I cant make a video without a cd rom if I purchased the memory stick. I paid $60.00 for the memory stick and it says the only thing I can put on there is still images! What a load of crap! I wanted a camera that I can understand(Simple) and make short videos and be able to stand my hiking trips. Any one have any recomendations for a camera for me? I'm returning my Sony today. I was not impressed with Sonys tech support.

Thanks, Josh

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Im so confused with my Sony DCR-DVD610
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Im so confused with my Sony DCR-DVD610
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The DVD61There are a few things confusing about your post...
by boya84 / February 21, 2008 10:23 PM PST

1) It is a DVD storage camcorder... not a "hard drive deal".

2) Since it stores video to DVDs, it needs DVDs to store video - sorry, I can't figure out a way to put this... Hence, no DVD, no video capture. It was never advertised to be a "hybrid" to capture video to DVD or memory card. If the salesman told you that, then you should return it for a full refund as it was misrepresented.

3) The memory stick is for stills - that is how that camcorder was designed. See "#2 - returning the camcorder", above...

4) DVD based camcorders provide the worst available quality. Next best are hard drive and some flash memory camcorders - and best video quality comes from miniDV tape based camcorders.

All Consumer camcorders are "simple" and make short videos. Whether they can stand your hiking trips is up to you - they are pretty sophisticate pieces of electronics, and rough handling is not normally advised.

I would suggest something like a Canon ZR800. It is miniDV tape based, and if you break the camcorder, it is cheap to replace.

Collapse -
Circuit City
by nucmed24 / February 25, 2008 10:33 PM PST
Collapse -
The Sony dcr-dvd610 is a hybrid
by nilagaspar / November 10, 2008 8:45 AM PST

I felt complied to respond because you gave such bad information to someone just asking a simple question. The Sony dcr-dvd610 is advertised as offering hybrid movie recording. The manual explains on page 28 that you can use the internal memory, a disc or a
Memory Stick PRO Duo. I don't want to be rude but if you don't know what you are talking about you might not want to respond so rudely to someone asking an innocent question. Not all of us are techies!

Collapse -
didn't see this when I responded...
by killerclown443 / February 2, 2013 2:49 AM PST

Sorry I didn't see that you found out how to fix it or that you even responded... Silly

Collapse -
handycam
by killerclown443 / February 2, 2013 2:38 AM PST

Hi Josh,
I know this is from 2008 and you have probably bought another camcorder by now but I just wanted to say that you can/or could have recorded movies to the memory stick. I, like you, was also pissed off for a bit because Sonys customer support sucked. Thanks to a friend of mine though I figured out how to switch the storage format from DVD to memory stick. All you have to do was click the home button, go to manage media, click on movie media set, click on memory stick, and follow the directions that are being displayed on the screen. Since the camera is now 5 years old and if you are still looking for a camera that isn't very expensive for hiking, the handycam is pretty durable. Again sorry for posting on an old thread but I had the same problems that you had.

Collapse -
Thank you killerclown443
by ListeningBartender / March 5, 2014 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: handycam

I want to Thank you killerclown443 for your post to this old thread. I bought a new Sony DCR-DVD610 on 12-23-08 with a 4 year service plan on 12-23-08 direct from Sony at the SonyStyle.com website. I had so much understanding the complex nature of this camera that I put it away. It has now been over 5 years and it has never been used. I recently removed it from the shelf in my storage room to try & learn how to use it. Your answer to Josh has been 1 additional thing that has helped me as I only begin to learn how to use this new 5 year old camcorder. If anyone knows of an available video that teaches how to use this Handycam in step by step detail I would greatly appreciate you passing that on to me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.