Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Im looking for a 30gb Mp3 player and i need help deciding.

by greenneck / July 19, 2007 11:23 AM PDT

I have tried ipods but they break down in a few years so i wont something to last.

It needs: To be cheap 100-250 before tax, hold atleast 20gb, be about the size of a zune, have easy software.
I like how Itunes works, I wanted a mp3 player ofhter then an Ipod that can use itunes or a app like itunes.

I got a zune yesterday but I am having trouble with using the software. Its to hard for me to add new files, it also adds ones i delete.

So I want the software to be as easy as Itunes or easier.

Is the ZEN Vision:M form Creative a good choice? Is the it meets all my requirements expect the software because i dont know anything about how it works or looks.

Please help me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Im looking for a 30gb Mp3 player and i need help deciding.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Im looking for a 30gb Mp3 player and i need help deciding.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm looking for a 30gb....
by gerryo543210 / July 19, 2007 1:39 PM PDT

Are you putting us on? You seem to have a lot of problems with this technology. By the way, an mp3 player lasting for YEARS is a good thing. Stick with Apple, it's a good product. Good luck.

Collapse -
Reply to gerryo543210
by greenneck / July 19, 2007 4:01 PM PDT

No im not, ipods die in a few years.
I had an Hp Ipod 20gb and it died a few months ago. The prossecor died or something. The apple people saaid they couldnt fix it.
It was a 2005 model and i didnt even use it everyday. So i think i used it for about 1000 hours and it died. I took excellent care of it too.
My brother had to take his Ipod Mini back 6 times before he got one that could hold a charge. The one he has now only last 2 hours on a full charge. Last for years do they?

This website even can tell you the estimated time before your ipod will die. For me it was right on. http://www.ipodmechanic.com/deathclock/

Collapse -
I guess there is always an exception
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 20, 2007 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to gerryo543210

It predicted that my wife's iPod Mini (4Gb) has been dead for a while.
I had better tell her to stop using it!

Remember the Magic 8 Ball?

Happy

P

Collapse -
Well
by greenneck / July 20, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

I cant belive I actualy thought someone here would help me.
Just like every other forum. The people just tell you your wrong because they got one of the ones that work and you didnt.
They defend their company instead of help you.

Collapse -
how to fix a frozen ipod
by DjjC13 / July 22, 2007 6:21 AM PDT

i ran about this when i was playing with my sisters ipod and with the firmware.first charge it normaly for about 1/2 an hour. unplug it from the computer at the base of the ipod. now just hold the top and center buttons for about 10 seconds or until the mac symbole turns on the screen. then immediatly hold the bottom and center button until there is a checkmark on the screen. !!!CAUTION THISS WILL ERASE ALL THE INFO ON THE IPOD!!! next plug it into the computer and go to itunes.it should detect the ipod. if not its fried. click the restore button and reload the songs vids and pics and your good to go.

Collapse -
Creative zen is the best i think
by alex73a / July 20, 2007 8:49 AM PDT

i know the software isnt itune like but there is one. supports all kinds of audio and video formats and good qaulity. Also long battery life has fm radio via recorder and audio recordio everything you need, durable too

Collapse -
the ulimate decision.
by DjjC13 / July 22, 2007 6:30 AM PDT

i have owned all of the major mp3s. the ipod sucks in every way. shure itunes is streamlined but the ipod converts all the music to an acc file. about 1.8 times the size of a normal mp3. dont ask. they freeze and they fry. the zen is a good product but the screen is small and it cand be broken if it gets below -6* or over 85*. the zune is by far the best. if you own vista or a new xp you will use windows media player 11. it syncs with the zune. there is also the zune software. a little bit harder to use but still good. if you want to sync certain files just make a new folder and put all for your music vids and pics and select that in the zune window and deselect the defult ones. also set your file associations to another program so it wont add everytthing you click on.

Collapse -
mp3 to aac?
by Elvis_1967 / July 22, 2007 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: the ulimate decision.

The iPod I have which is, I'm sure, very similar to all other iPods, does not convert mp3s to aac. I have all my mp3s ripped at variable bitrate & when I take them back off the iPod they are identical to the ones that I put onto it. It has frozen once before I had put any tunes on it, the Apple recommednded restart procedure sorted that out. I never use iTunes software or store; I use Anapod to fill it. I never use Media Player either. I do not want my entire collection on the iPod (& it wouldn't fit if I did) so I don't want any syncing. I make playlists, I transfer playlists. I have very good headphones & I'm happy with the sound. I work in the digital music industry for a living & have tried an awful lot of software & hardware before settling on this combination.

Collapse -
Here's some help
by xelex / July 22, 2007 9:15 AM PDT

I can't believe no one is giving him some help... With that said...
Ok, so I have pretty much tried all of the main 30gb players on the market right now. I must say that the creative zen vision:m is the best music/video/photo player on the market. The Video is very crisp, easy to transfer and easy to convert(although lengthy.) The interface is very user friendly and the sound is amazing. Music is very easy to transfer, and photos are a breeze too. I have a feeling the new models of most of the top mp3/video player companies are going to come out with new models within the next couple of months. I do think apple might come up with something clever, but I wouldn't hold my breath. One last thing to note, is that the ipod is slimmer than the zen, but that specific quality alone is the only thing ipod has going for it IMO.

Collapse -
Zen vision m should be your choice
by littlestarzz / July 22, 2007 5:43 PM PDT

I agree that zen vision m is easy to use. The player is able to support many different video formats without the need for conversion. If your file needs to be converted, you can easily use the software that comes with the player or other software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.