Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

ILO mp3 player....

by incuguyhi / December 18, 2004 11:17 AM PST

I was looking into purchasing the ilo mp3 player from walmart. It holds 256 mb but i cant seem to find any reviews from anyone anywhere. If you own this player please give me some feedback.

Thank you very much

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ILO mp3 player....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ILO mp3 player....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ilo mp3 256
by kashmirmn / December 21, 2004 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: ILO mp3 player....

I recently bought the ilo 256 mp3 player and was pretty impressed. This is my first mp3 player. One of the main reasons that it is my first one is that I was looking for the one that combined all of the important options I was looking for.

1) Price - a hard to beat price at $79.20

2) At least 256 MB with expandable memory capabilities.

3) FM Tuner

4) Drag and Drop file transfers (USB 2.0)

4a) No need to have additional software to use this player. You don't have to utilize a specific music program to manage your music.

5) Common battery. 16 hours of battery life is very adequate. I like the idea of being able to just change the battery when it dies instead of having to remember to recharge the player all the time.

6) Voice recorder. Actually this feature wasn't all that bad. Not perfect - but functional. It also records FM radio.

7) Good menu system with logically placed buttons that feel sturdy.

Cool Peak volume could be a little bit higher, but isn't too bad.

I am happy with this player. It is one that is definitely worth looking into.

Collapse -
i have one quetion
by Sacul2 / March 8, 2006 6:29 PM PST
In reply to: ilo mp3 256

when i turn on my mp3 it says incorret format, reformat the player. what should i do?

Collapse -
In response
by AndrewGK / May 2, 2006 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: i have one quetion

It has done the same thing with mine and it's frustrating me. I have tried connecting my mp3 player to the computer using the USB cable and right clicking on it and choosing 'formatt' however, it keeps saying that my computer cannot formatt it. I have no idea how to help you, but if you find something that works, please let me know

Collapse -
use software provided
by ernesto021 / May 2, 2006 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: In response

you have to use a software from the cd provided to format the player. if you just right click and click format, ur player may stop working. But, this could be easily fixed by using the provided software. I think it is called firmware.. not sure though

Collapse -
by Tim & Sandy / July 1, 2006 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: use software provided

where did u get the software?

Collapse -
by Tim & Sandy / July 1, 2006 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: use software provided

I have a cd that came with it called the easy start cd, but it doesn't have anything on it about reformating? please help! thanx

Collapse -
by Tim & Sandy / July 1, 2006 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: i have one quetion

my mp3 player is doing the same thing, did u get it to work yet? thanx

Collapse -
ilo mp3 player
by lalaland879 / September 23, 2007 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: hey

I recently bought a ilo mp3 player 2gb. At first it worked really well with inputting songs into it, but after taht it took a long time for it to update the index and also to upload the songs. And now it won't turn on anymore since a couple of days ago when I was using it. It turns on when I connect the USB, but it doesn't turn on when you press the power. What is happening here?

Collapse -
I hope you never need service from Rave/ILO
by droll / March 16, 2006 9:03 AM PST

That was my biggest problem with my first and last ILO unit. I, too, liked the disposable battery feature. I found it on a Sandisk. My 2GB is all that I need in the way of capacity and it cost only $119. And their service is unbelieveable. I was riding my motorcycle and somehow my screen cracked; I'm honestly not sure how it happened. Sandisk had me send them an email photo of both sides. When they determined it had not been "dragged through the mud" they sent me a free mailing label to send it back for replacement. I think I may have damaged it, but they said they try to cut slack to their customers. ILO can learn a lot from Sandisk. Good luck with your ILO. Again, I loved mine until I needed support (worn headphone jack--absolutely not the fault of the user).

Collapse -
ilo mp3 player
by ycvalle / November 11, 2007 2:20 AM PST

I purchased a ilo player a year ago and I tried to turn it on and it won't start.I thought it was the battery so I change it and it still will not start. Do you have a place or a phone number I can call so I can send it in for repair. I think my husband paid 119.00 for it but I don't want to have to purchase another one, I've only had it for a year this month. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Collapse -
by mokhldlove / October 2, 2006 2:44 AM PDT

I think that the ilo 1G for 49 bucks at walmart is well worth it. I got the creative zen nano and I was pleased with it except for a few things like only 512 mg of memory for the same price and you can only see the name of the song playing not the artist. You also can't shuffle songs and it keeps going into repeat mode by itself. Other than that, I had it 7 months and got my money's worth (and gave it to someone who loves it0.

Collapse -
need help
by u_need_karina / January 20, 2007 4:26 AM PST

I also purchased the ilo mp3 256 awhile back. I recently moved to Mississippi from Texas and from there to here I lost my cd that came with my mp3 player. I got a new laptop and not able to add or remove song from my mp3 without the cd. I was wondering if some one could help me.

Collapse -
iLo mp3 player
by corvettecrasher / December 25, 2004 12:06 PM PST

hey, im in your prediciment also, ive got some money i need to blow and i have wanted an mp3 player for a while but didnt have enough money for the memory i wanted(becuase truthfully anything under 256 isnt very much) and i was at wally world the other day and saw this little guy. Being me i read every review i can before i buy anything so i was searching and i found this one and its a farely good review, http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/20041220-review_walmart_ilo_low_cost_mp3_player_flash_memorybased.php. hopefully this helped you, i havent bought this thing yet but the review makes me want to buy it even more, im goin tomorrow to get it at my wal mart.

Collapse -
Great MP3 Player
by amc11890 / June 13, 2005 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: iLo mp3 player

only had it for about 3 days but no complaints so far. At first peak volume did seem a little low but the new firmware update fixes that. The radio reception is even better than my sony walkman. The backlit is also very bright. I currently have about 117 songs on my mp3 player. the custom equalizer is also a very nice feature

Collapse -
Re: ilo player from Walmart
by specialkay1 / December 26, 2004 5:17 AM PST

I have purchased Sony and Creative MP3 players, have had portable CD players out the....well you know, and just wanted something a little less expensive for Christmas. I must say, this MP3 player is very impressive for the money. I can download from more than one computer (There are some MP3's out there that won't allow you to do that, won't name names though). Personally, I didn't even use the included software. I just used the "Drag and Drop" feature to transfer songs. Now add the ease of use, the large display, the decent quality of sound to the other features you won't get on higher priced models. Voice recording for those of us who need to remember things but never have a piece of paper and a pen handy, and a FM radio receiver and the ability to store your songs on a memory card (no skipping for you joggers)! Totally totally worth the $80.00 US I paid.

Collapse -
ilo player
by tommyp1972 / December 27, 2004 6:02 PM PST

get this player...so much ++'s to list...only con is the crappy ear buds they include..but thank god i have radio shack titaniums..AWESOME BASS ON THESE HEADPHONES!!!for $20....anyways you will definetly like this player..buttons are just a little smaller than i wish..but definitely can live with them...

Collapse -
I can?t create albums
by RandyCC / January 25, 2005 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: ilo player

Hi! I have a problem. I can?t create albums. What can I do?

Collapse -
create playlist
by jjv430 / March 8, 2005 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: I can?t create albums

I really like this player but was frustrated that
I couldn't create playlists or designate the order that my songs play. I e-mailed customer service and they suggested this:
If you would like your files to play in a certain order you're going to have to put a "01" or a "02" and so on, in front of the file name for it
to play in the order that you want it to play in.

I was able to do this on the player by using "My Computer" and renaming the files with a # in front of the song title. It does require a little work but its still better than burning a new CD every time I get tired of the song order.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
by jimth / February 18, 2005 5:33 PM PST

I too purchased the ILO and pleased with it's performance. However, I have only been able to download 35 or 40 songs. When I try to add more, it indicateds that it's full. Why is it I can't download more? Appreciate your advise.

Collapse -
128 or 256Mb?
by RandyCC / February 19, 2005 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: ILO MP3

it?s ok if you have 128Mb.

Collapse -
Ilo - Drag & Drop feature
by Hasleyes / March 6, 2005 11:02 AM PST

My husband just bought us the Ilo players, and as the house tech (lol), I have been adding music to it all weekend. I haven't figured out the drag and drop thing though. I transferred my CD into the removable disk section that's named RAVE-MP, which I thought was supposed to drop the music into my player, but that didn't happen. What am I doing wrong? Any and all help would be much appreciated. All I've been able to do is copy the music into my media playlist, then copy that into the player. With this method, however, the Windows Media Player tends to lock up on some CD cuts. I would love to cut out this step if at all possible. Thanks.

Collapse -
Ripping and Drag-And-Drop Instructions
by nikola99 / March 14, 2005 9:52 AM PST

Here is a procedure to rip files from your audio CDs and drag-and-drop them into your ILo. These have been written from Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10, but is should be similar for earlier versions of WMP.

1) Insert your CD and open Windows Media player.
2) Click on the Rip tab (or, go to View -> Go To -> click on Rip)
3) Go to Tools -> Options (if you cannot see Tools hold down Ctr and hit M)
4) New window opens. Go to Rip Music tab
5) Click on Change... in the "Rip music to this location" section
6) Select a folder you want to rip your music to (default is My Documents/My Music, so you can leave this option where it is)
7) Click OK
Cool click on File Name... Set the settings to what you want, and click OK
9) Optionaly change the encoding information under Rip settings section. Best setting should be: under Format in the drop down menu select Windows Media Audio (variable bit rate) and set the slider to about the middle setting, if available (I am not an expert on this, but this is what I use)
10) Click OK
11) Click on Find Album Info in top left corner, this sould fill all CD info for you (you have to be online for this to work)
12) If the correct information appears click Finish, if not (probably because you have a custom made CD) click Edit or Search and follow instructions
You can also enter all the info manuualy. To set info of all tracks to the same value hold Crtl key and click A and then right-click on the entry of one of the tracks you want to change(ex. under Artist). In the popup click Edit. One of the fields sould open up for you to type the info in. When done hit Enter, and then Click Yes. Procede like this untill all the info has been entered
13) Select checkboxes next to the tracks you want to rip
14) Click on Rip Music (top right corner)
15) If a window pops up select the lower option and click OK. Ripping should start
16) when all songs have been ripped open the folder you set the files to be ripped to. Leave this window open
17) Connect Ilo to the USB port
18) Go to My Computer -> RAVE-MP (Also if yo uhave a card inserted into your Ilo player it will be available as an aditional removable storage, you could open it to put files there). Now you will have two windows open. Make sure they are not maximized and are arranged in such a way as so you can see the contents of both of them. You can accomplish this also by minimizing all other windows you might have open, then right-click on the portion of the taskbar that does not have any programs in it and clicking on Tile Windows Verticaly or Tile Windows Horizontally
19) In the window where all of your ripped files are navigate to the folder that contains the actual WMA files, it is probably a few folders deep
20) Select all files you want to put on Ilo from that folder.
21) Drag them into the window that has RAVE-MP open. Or you can right-click on any of the selected files. Popup will open. Point to Sent To and then click on RAVE-MP or removable drive name that denotes your card inserted into Ilo
22) Once the files have been copied over make sure you click on the incon on your task bar that has a little green arrow on it and click on Safely Remove USB Mass Storage Device...

Once you have done the ripping steps you don't have to rip the files next time you want to listen to them just follow steps 16-21

Collapse -
by wraith412002 / April 4, 2005 1:58 PM PDT

Yea those ilo mp3 players are not good at all. The head phone jack is shot, no matter what pair of headphons u plug into that thing, only the right head phone works. WOW that was a waste of the $70.00

Collapse -
FM Tuner Problems
by zacjdad / August 26, 2005 2:49 AM PDT

I love my ilo but when I put it on the tuner, it plays for a few minutes and then shuts off. Is there an ilo website so I can find out what to do? I'd look up the infor in the manual but we are in the middle of moving and I can't get to it readily.

Collapse -
RE: FM Tuner Problems
by southernbybirth / September 8, 2005 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: FM Tuner Problems

Have you gone to settings in the menu? It has an auto shut-off you can disable.

hope that helps

Collapse -
ilo mp3 player
by RingoStarr212121 / December 28, 2004 12:43 PM PST

HI, The ilo mp3 player from walmart is one of the best mp3 players so my suggestion to you is to buy it

Collapse -
by jimth / February 18, 2005 6:00 PM PST
In reply to: ilo mp3 player

I love my little ILO but after recording 35 or 40 songs it indicates that it's full. What gives? I thought I could at least get 120. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
wav vs. mp3
by vathsala44 / May 3, 2006 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: ILO

The ilo records in wav format. wav format takes much more memory than mp3. I suggest getting a convertor program and convert them to mp3 then put them back on your player.

Collapse -
response to iLo mp3 @ wal-mart
by pjb1124 / December 30, 2004 6:56 AM PST

I recently bought an iLo mp3 player. I've only had it for a couple of days, so I don't know if it's gonna work, but so far, it's good. It's easy to load music onto it, and playing it is also easy. The best part is the FM tuner and the long battery life. It has really good sound quality. I'm surprised at how good it for how much I paid... $80! And a Wal-Mart brand!

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Not a good choice
by stevealmighty / January 7, 2005 10:16 AM PST

Hey, if you have bought this player, becareful. If you haven't bought it, then DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. I bought the 256 mb one for my son, and it locks up my computer (Windows XP, 512 mb ddram, radeon 9500 pro graphics card, 1.53 ghz athlon xp,40 gb hdd). It slows down horribly when I plug in the mp3 player, and after about 15 min, it freezes the computer. Also, I can't get the songs from downloaded from Walmart.com to play on it, even though both walmart and rave-mp say that they will play fine. Actually, after I put the songs on the player, the player now freezes. Also, I can't delete the walmart songs off either, nor can I convert the walmart songs to MP3 (even before I put them on the MP3 player). It works great with songs ripped from CD's though, but still slows and locks the computer. Battery life is ok, looks and user friendlyness is good. There are no firmware updates from rave-mp (who actually manufactures the mp3 player), and I can't find any information in the FAQ section on any of the above listed problems either. I'm going to try to get a hold of the rave-mp to see if they can help me with it. If they can't help, then I'll be an unhappy customer returning this player to walmart. I would'nt recomend it to anyone.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.