Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Illustrator color swatches are completely gone!

by neving / September 15, 2006 8:23 AM PDT

In Illustrator 10.0.3 all my swatch libraries are gone. I can go to Window>Swatch Libraries but that's it. I've re-installed and still nothing. Any suggestions as to how I can either download or find these phantom swatches.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Illustrator color swatches are completely gone!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Illustrator color swatches are completely gone!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"if you quit Illustrator right now, relaunch it .." gone...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
color swatches are gone
by Divine Wind / January 24, 2007 3:22 AM PST

did you find a fix for this issue.
It has happened to me also,
I'm looking for a way to fix on my Mac.

Collapse -
A Little More Info PLease
by tango_fox1 / February 1, 2007 6:54 AM PST

Is this in the default file when you first open Illustrator or is this a custom swatch library?

Collapse -
Illustrator color swatches are gone, invisible, whatever...
by Divine Wind / February 1, 2007 9:51 AM PST

This is in default, startup mode with no modifications
Thanks for any help.
Mac, 800mhz, OS 10.4.8

Collapse -
Try This
by tango_fox1 / February 1, 2007 11:06 AM PST

That happened to me once, even after reinstall. So you might need to uninstall,
restart the computer
then delete the Illustrator Folder from the PROGRAMS DIRECTORY
restart the computer again
then reinstall.

That clears any references from the registry and should fix that problem .

If it still doesn't work you might need to scan for a windows problem using a utility to see if there's a problem.

Others might know of different methods but that's what I can think of right now. I will do some research and submit either a solution or a link to someplace with a solution.

Jimmy

Collapse -
color swatches are gone
by Divine Wind / February 1, 2007 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: Try This

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know if it works
Cya....

Collapse -
Don't delete your Illustrator folder...
by sstevens69 / February 23, 2007 9:22 AM PST

You didn't mention which version of Illustrator you're using, but here's the solution: delete the AI Prefs file, not the entire Illustrator folder.

Anytime you make changes to the interface (closing palettes, etc.) Illustrator saves the changes to the preferences file (AI Prefs). Sometimes, that file can become corrupt. If that's the case, you can search for it and delete it. ("AI Prefs" for windows or "Adobe Illustrator CS preferences" for Mac OS X)

Some versions of AI allow you to reset the prefs by holding down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT (Shift + Command + Option + Control on the Mac) as Illustrator is starting up.

If you have Illustrator CS2, you can reset the palettes to their default location by using the menu command WINDOW>WORKSPACE>DEFAULT.

If your preferences aren't corrupt, you may have simply closed the swatches palette. Re-open it by going to WINDOW>SWATCHES and it'll re-appear in the last location where it was opened.

Sherm

Collapse -
Duh! Illustrator 10...
by sstevens69 / February 23, 2007 9:25 AM PST

Sorry, I just re-read your original post and you DID mention what version of AI you're using.

It's been awhile, but I think the preferences file was still named AI Prefs on the windows version, so that'll still work for you.

Sherm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.