Phones

General discussion

If your thinking of going to Straighttalk, don't do it!

by Straighttalksucks / July 22, 2010 8:17 AM PDT

I switched to Straighttalk three months ago. I have had trouble with my Samsung phone shutting off by itself. After several calls they did agree to replace the phone. Only problem is they won't send a phone until they get mine. They say it takes about a week. How am I supposed to go without a phone for a week? The other problem is I can't transfer all the contacts to the new phone if I don't have them both.

I did a little research before switching and didn't find a lot of information about Straighttalk. If anyone is wondering, the customer service is no good! It sounds like the customer service is based in a foreign country.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If your thinking of going to Straighttalk, don't do it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If your thinking of going to Straighttalk, don't do it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Straight Talk
by pounditflat / July 29, 2010 12:47 AM PDT

I had some trouble with mine and they had me do an update, much like the update I had to do when I was with Verizon. Verizon's update was
*228 - I can't remember, since I only did it once but I want to say that Straight talk update was *2281. Don't take my word for it, call their tech support in the morning - like 7am. and ask how to update your phone. I think it's *2281 though. you'll want to do it with option 1 and after that finishes you'll want to do it all over again and choose option 2. It really does work, just not sure about the number to dial

Collapse -
Already tried that.
by Straighttalksucks / July 31, 2010 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Straight Talk

I have already jumped through all the hoops they had. The update for me was *22890

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Straight Talk is a RIP OFF
by samschicky / March 17, 2011 1:17 AM PDT

TERRIBLE!! I purchased a Straight Talk phone and a $45.00 service card. After just a couple days I was unhappy with the phone and service and switched my number and service to a new provider. Since there was already time (that I purchased) on the phone, and there was nothing wrong with the phone I decided not to let it go to waste and get the Straight Talk phone turned back on with a new number. I was then informed I needed to purchase ANOTHER service card to reactivate! The original one I bought was good until April 6! Should still be good! They tell me that because I ported my number to another phone, I basically just GAVE them $45.00! THEIVES

Collapse -
Doesn't make sense
by Pepe7 / March 17, 2011 6:33 AM PDT

Why would you port then switch back and expect them to roll out a red carpet? You voluntarily switched providers. Do the math.

If you want more advanced service from a wireless carrier, then you have to pay for it. Period.

Collapse -
Wrong~StraightTalk is great, particularly for the $$$
by amb64 / November 18, 2011 2:06 AM PST

I switched from Verizon to ST over a year ago, after reading on Clark Howard's website his strong recommendation of the service. It still utilizes the Verizon network, Android phones are now available for purchase for this network, all for $45 a month of unlimited talk, text and web. Rarely is there a dropped call (I mean, like once). My Samsung phone is great and when my boyfriend had a billing issue they called him back almost IMMEDIATELY and resolved the problem. He works in customer support for another co. and he was IMPRESSED. My only complaint is the automated 411 service. That does suck, but it's minor. I just look up phone numbers via the browser. Just because you have problems with a phone dude, don't dis the whole service. You are leading people away from a great service and company. I give 5 stars and am extremely happy!

Collapse -
Tradeoff
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 3:45 AM PST

Going the prepaid route has a distinct tradeoff. While the average consumer saves money, the customer service goes down proportionately. The prepaid products/services fulfill a distinct niche of the consumer market and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

They have keep costs low to offer such low service prices. Most folks have no problem with prepaid, just don't go into prepaid thinking you will get the same level of CS as with a postpaid carrier.

Collapse -
Had both, little difference
by amb64 / November 21, 2011 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: Tradeoff

Again as a customer of StraightTalk and former customer of Verizon, there is LITTLE difference in service (only 411, that I can see). ST still uses the Verizon network....for less than half of what I was paying for Verizon (I was a customer for 7 years), I am extremely satisfied!

Collapse -
My point is....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 12:15 PM PST

You aren't going to be able to go to a Straight Talk store like you could with a post paid cellular provider. I know that ST operates on the Verizon network, but the support is not at the same level and they are independent from each other. I am not arguing that you did or did not have good experience with them.

Collapse -
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !
by coreyluehrs / January 31, 2013 1:42 AM PST

You must live near Atlanta because I also followed Clarke Howard's advice regarding straighttalk --- unlimited everything for $45 ?! You would think that the quality of service would be subpar, but not the case here. I have an iphone and straighttalk uses the AT&T network for these phones. Phone/internet/text have all been excellent -- CNET and other websites and AP rated AT&T as having the best Data network in the country and the world over the last several years....(the next line is worth repeating) Who wouldn't love all of that for 45 Bucks a month??

Granted their customer service does suck horribly (waited on line for about 30 minutes and Cust Svc did sound like they were from another country---but that's the only trade off I see!!) , but then again when do you really need them unless you're having something seriously wrong with the phone synching to the network.

Most of the time, those problems can be solved using suggestions found online or websites like www.unlockit.co.nz which will AUTOMATICALLY program your phone for you, which will take care of any issues you may have had with data and picture messaging when you initially transfer your service from another carrier (i.e.: verizon, metropcs, at&t, tmobile, etc, etc). That website is a Godsend !

I thought MetroPcs was the only capable of providing cheap unlimited service...looks like there's a new sheriff in town and it kicks major rear end! Long live Straight Talk !!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.