The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

If you use a desktop, who is the manufacturer?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / September 28, 2005 10:46 AM PDT

If you use a desktop, who is the manufacturer, and why did you choose that brand?

Acer
Apple
Dell
eMachines
Gateway
HP/Compaq
IBM/Lenovo
Sony
Other (which brand is it?)
No-name or custom-built PC (tell us about it)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If you use a desktop, who is the manufacturer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If you use a desktop, who is the manufacturer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Vaio PCV-RS310
by Casper1974 / September 29, 2005 3:39 AM PDT

I can go on and on about my desktop computer but just let me say that within 3 months I needed to replace 2 motherboard and a fan and now it works okay (not great). I cannot say enough bad things about Sony. Surely, I must have just gotton a rotton egg but they treated me terrible. I was on the phone with them for over 10 hours total (on different days). I would never ever buy another Sony. And by the way it was not a cheap computer to buy but I thought I was buying the best.

So in conclusion, I HATE HATE HATE SONY DESKTOP COMPUTERS AND THEIR TECH SUPPORT.

Thank you,

Casper

Collapse -
Sony
by Argie-Salvador / September 29, 2005 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony Vaio PCV-RS310

Sony worldwide is cutting down on such a huge number of jobs that I'm afraid that they'll not be able to comply with their guarantees locally (anywhere in the world) as they were doing so far. My choice is therefore HP/Compaq, or perhaps even a custom-built whose money-saving price would cater for any additional future disbursings.

Collapse -
Sony the one and only
by shaggydrum / September 30, 2005 5:42 AM PDT

I have three Sony's and love them all. Have not had any trouble whatsoever with any of them. All were bought refurbished and I love them all.

Collapse -
Sony Stinks!
by Moonstarrz / October 1, 2005 9:39 AM PDT

Casper,

I agree with you 110% - my previous was a Sony Vaio and had nothing but trouble with it and their tech support.
I eventually got a Dell Dimension that I could customize and pay only for what I wanted/needed. I've never had a problem with it (2yrs old now) & when I needed to call for support, never had a problem there either. If anything I learned that you don't have to pay big bucks for something that works.

Collapse -
Sony PCF-RS320 Here
by kjdinoc / October 1, 2005 12:03 PM PDT

I've had my Sony Vaio for about 2 years now. It was a very very bad bad computer until about 2 weeks ago (it didn't recognize the mouse or keyboard until it was rebooted several times, it also errored out trying to load SONY software that had been uninstalled via Windows install/uninstall process).

I was finally so fed up with all of it's problems I went out and bought a WinXP Pro upgrade. I wiped the hard drive clean and started over with a clean Windows install. I purposely decided not to reinstall all of the crap software Sony shipped with this thing. I do believe that is what caused most of it's problems.

I'm now running error free and as smooth as anyon could ask!!

Collapse -
one fix and bliss so far
by auldtwa / October 5, 2005 6:31 AM PDT

I got my Sony because my son-built computer died very dead in the middle of something critical and I needed a new one FAST and VAIO happened to be the best deal on sale locally.

I had one motherboard issue, during the warranty; I have to say the tech support was out to the house in a day and fixed it. There seems a good chance that, because my tower was inside a computer desk with a door in front of the "cpu storage area", that overheating contributed to the motherboard dying, but Sony raised no fuss about that at all and fixed it under warranty. HINT: don't keep your cpu inside a computer desk that is "built" to store one unless there is LOTs of ventilation, which I have noted since, browsing around, most desks don't have.

It's been maybe two years now and everything is running just fine. It came with XP home edition and got married to SP 2 just fine, not even a whimper.

Collapse -
My love eMachine T5026
by bknowledge / September 29, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

It was all that I was looking for in a great package. Their PC's cost $200 less than the competion and gives you more. It's easy and ready to upgrade as I have installed
MAXTOR SATA Ultra Series Kits: 7200RPM 300GB Internal Hard Drive - 2nd HD
HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR-250 Personal Video Recorder ? PCI
LOGITECH Cordless LX 700 Keyboard and Mouse
and 1GB of RAM.
I had an eTower 366is before and it still runs great so they make soild systems.

Collapse -
Dell
by JoeRoberts / September 29, 2005 10:07 PM PDT

We use them at work and I don't have any problems with them, so I buy them for home.

Collapse -
never dell
by rumimoss / September 29, 2005 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell

We use them at work too, but I will NEVER buy them for home.

Collapse -
Why Not ?
by Ukexpat / September 29, 2005 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: never dell

dell have gopt grat Home-use ratings for years. what's your problem with them ?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry for my sucky typing - it's early here.
by Ukexpat / September 29, 2005 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Why Not ?
Collapse -
Why won't you buy a Dell for Home?????
by rsherry / September 30, 2005 1:51 AM PDT

Just wondering.

Collapse -
some reasons NOT to get Dell
by ackmondual / October 4, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

First off, I use Dell for home, and many times for offices. I know i can do better, but meh. These are just some of the reasons I've heard and/or observed firsthand

-proprietary parts. Mobo, PSU, and IIRC, even the case are made to go together, but not ATX standard form factors. If you want a new PSU or mobo, u either have to buy directly from Dell (there are 3rd party sellers that do offer fitting parts) or them in pairs for compatibility reasons.

-it's cheaper to build your own high end system

-tech support is going down the crapper. It's not "god awful" but far cry from their peak during the late 90s, early 00s. I get agents who just provide answers read righ off of Q&A manual without the impression that these guys really understand how to solve the problem.
every once in a while, yes, an indian accented person who i can't comprehend. One left a message on my machine which was worthless b/c i could understand NOTHING

-cheap parts

-TS only covers hardware and some winXP. U have a problem with Office or burner, likely not to get help

-they don't provide manuals anymore, just on your PC. Not good when you get the blue scrn of death, and painful to print out all those pages.

-standard TS only 30 days now

-Rumor is Dell is gonna do away with online coupons. If true, the sticker price for Dell PCs can be outrageously high.

Collapse -
Always Dell
by W3ZJ / September 29, 2005 11:18 PM PDT

I have had 5 of them over the past 15 years or so, three of which are currently still in use and other two were donated to needy organizations in perfect working condition, they were just outdated.

Reasons:
1) I can have the machines built to order for the right price and delivered to my door within a couple of days. No fuss not muss.

2) I can obtain "exact" replacement parts. Some will complain that Dell uses proprietary parts and overcharges for replacements. Indeed they do use a couple of proprietary parts such as the motherboard, power supply and the case. However, the only time I ever had to replace anything is when one of the machines got zapped during a thunder storm. It needed a new motherboard which I ordered from Dell. It arrived the day after I ordered it, fit perfectly into the case and came up and running perfectly right out of the box - not one single problem. The entire repair only took about 20 minutes. Did I pay more for it because it was Dell? Maybe but not much and the ease of replacing it made it well worth any additional cost. That machine is now about 10 years old is and still in service on my Lan as my Internet connection sharing server.

Why would I even consider anything else?

Collapse -
GO DELL--DELL ROCKS-DELL FOREVER!-GO DELL-I LOVE DELL
by johncriley / September 30, 2005 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Always Dell

Dell is the best computer company out there. They give great deals. The computer is custom, so you don't end up paying more money than the computer for software and hardware upgrades. I have NEVER had a problem with my Dell. I plan to buy more Dells. DELL ROCKS!!!!!!

Collapse -
I AGREE
by rushbrook86 / July 26, 2006 4:04 AM PDT

I LOVE DELL TOO!

Collapse -
Dell - No Way
by johnniekelly / September 30, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

I repair computers in my spare time as a hobby and source of extra income.

I can't tell you how many coworkers have come to me after getting such a ''great deal'' on a Dell computer that need software.

People buy these $599 computers from them only to find out that they need to buy antivirus software after 30 days and the MS Office is a trial version that expires in 3 months!

The Dell computers that have been brought to me for help are cheap, cheap hardware as well. Onboard EVERYTHING - Video, Sound, LAN. Not very friendly setups for upgrading.

Bottom line...I'd build my own ANY day before I had a Dell. I wouldn't walk across the street for one if you'd give it to me.

They've won WAY too much market share from the computer illiterate people out there that are scared of computers just because of their ''award winning support''.

Collapse -
Dell's award winning support
by jumpjoy / October 2, 2005 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell - No Way

Dell's award winning support/// a joke. first you have to pay too much for it/// then its rotton.
If you need help with hardware .. that's 1 contract but, if you need help with software you have to get an additional contract.

The one time I asked for assistance I was told to reformat my drive. I dont need them to tell me how to do that. The help is crap. I was able to do what I wanted myself after a bit of research.

I decided to add a USB2 card to my current dell. I did it but it was a hassle because dell puts all kinds of impediments in the way.

Years ago I bought a dell and it was very good and had great components. Now they put garbage in their computers. This is the last dell I will ever buy. In my opinion dell has gone the way of gateway and it will go furthr down the drain if it persists in putting out such junk.

Collapse -
Dell cuts corners on PC hardware
by marrip / September 24, 2008 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell - No Way

If you are a home or business user looking for a cheap PC and never plan on upgrading it, Dell is ok. Unfortunatley Dell cuts corners on hardware to make a little more profit. Examples:

Mice: Dell mice are often ball mice rather than optical mice. Five Dollars cheaper, but they wear out faster. Dell mice are also not standard. Often if you move a mouse from the Dell it came with to another PC (even another model Dell), it won't work. Microsoft optical mice work on anything and cost about $10.

Motherboard slots: We bought a bunch of Optiplex 520's at work and found they didn't have AGP or PCI-X slots (i.e. you can't install a video card), so if the on-board video dies (or you want to use a two monitor setup), you have to throw away the motherboard. These motherboards have the solder pad "landing zones" for the expansion slots, but to save a few cents Dell Didn't spec that the plastic expansion slot be attached to the motherboard.

PS/2 ports: Even though USB is the future as far as keyboard/mouse connections to the motherboard, some of us have old PS/2 peripherals that we like to use on PCs. Some Dells have PS/2 connectors that are not real motherboard ports, but rather an add in card that you can buy for an extra charge. If these worked like regular PS/2 ports I wouldn't object, but Windows often takes up to 10 minutes to "detect" stuff plugged into these pseudo PS/2 ports.

Collapse -
Dell - crap
by baldwinl / September 30, 2005 2:12 AM PDT

work here is a "Dell house", so I have "experienced" Dell for the past 8 years here. In the beginning, not so bad, but that is when Dell was sourcing standard components and assembling them. Back then, you could buy the same laptop from Dell or Compaq - they were each rebranding the same Taiwanese laptop (and you could buy it directly from Chembook at a big discount).

But now they write a spec and put it out to the lowest bidder. And the same "model" can change manufactures if they underbid the old one (or so I have heard) so that a "good" proven model can suddenly turn problematic.

My last 3 computers from Dell:

Dual Zeon workstation. The video NEVER worked properly as configured/delivered. Never mind all the BIOS upgrades, driver upgrades etc.. Finally, out of warranty, I horsetraded for another card and finally got the workstation working for about a year. Then the memory (RAMBUSS crap) went bad (intermittently) and there was no satisfaction to be had there, and it was so expensive and Dell had abandoned RAMBUS so it was cheaper to buy a new computer.

Instead I got 2 laptops, a D600 (the corporate issue) and an M60 for my workstation.

D600: the case is so flimsy that if I actually rest my palm on the palm-rest (!?) I can crash the hard disk. I am on my 3rd hard disk and now I have a big warning label on the left palm rest.

M60: 3 mother boards in the first week. Lesson: do NOT use UnDock to UnDock (!?). Instead, go through a full shut-down to UnDock, and only redock fully shut down.....

Now my homebrews, using MSI and ABIT MB's and WD HDD's, still going strong after 4 years (1GHz AMD) and 7 years (233MHz P3).

Collapse -
desktop manufafturer
by chucker111 / September 29, 2005 10:29 PM PDT

I use a Dell desktop,that a good friend & computer expert recommended.He ordered all integral parts for it & essentially had it built to his Specs.Once I became familiar with it(my first computer),I've been totally satisfied ever since!Best Hint:Install a Good Security System.I use the McAfee security Suite.It works GREAT.Solved a lot of problems I used to have!Thanks,chucker.

Collapse -
Dell
by A.L. / September 29, 2005 10:29 PM PDT

I bought Dell because I could buy online. It gave me time to choose my configuration carefully and to research various components at my leisure.
It has been flawless, it's 3 years old now and never a problem.
Ann

Collapse -
DELL IS very reliable for desktop PC
by GERONIMO / September 29, 2005 10:44 PM PDT

I bought a dell dimension 8100 5years ago and never had a problem as far as the machine itself is concerned ; very helpfull after sale service ; what else ?

Collapse -
older dells
by bmaher / September 30, 2005 1:21 AM PDT

ive got a gx1 which is nearly ancient now, and ive never had any problems with it - but every new dell ive had had been riddles with problems - they arent what they used to be

Collapse -
Building Your Own
by Steven Roth / September 29, 2005 10:32 PM PDT

While I have a strong preference for SuperMicro and Dell machines, as far as commercially-available, fully-assembled computers go, I now build my own.

The two most important reasons are price and having no constraints on my choices for components.

These days, I am finding that AMD CPUs are both less expensive and higher-performance than their Intel counterparts and that there are a number of motherboard vendors providing reliable products. In addition, recent entries have demonstrated that chassis manufacturers and component manufacturers have been "putting their heads together" in simplifying the assembly process.

Therefore, I am finding myself increasingly building custom systems for myself. The cost savings, especially coupled with finding inexpensive, reputable component sources, can be considerable.

As I also use a great deal of Linux, I find that taking this route saves me the expense of buying Windows licenses I will never need to use.

For the true power user, I recommend this route for giving yourself a great deal more bang for the buck.

Collapse -
(NT) The Main Machine. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 29, 2005 10:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Computer choice
by dickboy / September 29, 2005 10:46 PM PDT

My conputer was a gift from my son.

Collapse -
I chose Apple
by ekuryluk / September 29, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

Reasons - There are many, but the primary one is:
At work we are only allowed to use Windows XP machines. I find the OS X interface, file systems, network set-up and extra features (like Expose) much better and easier to use than XP. My Apple system doesn't really need to be rebooted (I only reboot when there are OS updates), whereas my XP machine at work needs a full reboot every 5-7 days. The Mac also wakes from sleep almost instantaneously, the XP machine takes about 40 sec.

Collapse -
Apple 4 ever
by sonorelli / September 29, 2005 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: I chose Apple

I've used Apple for over ten tears, for one reason: digital audio workstation. Pro Tools is the world standard, and ten years ago, it only ran on Macs. A few years ago, they added Windows support but its always behind in features.

Its also very easy to have Macs for all my other computers (business, kids, nanny), but frustrating to overpay for less features and less available software. My 11-year-old daughter thinks every Mac is slow except for my Dual-processor 2.5GHz G5, and I kind of see her point. Still, Macs network together painlessly, and share printers, internet, etc.

I'm not loyal at all, but just taking the path of least resistance.

Collapse -
apple rocks
by ronald_poi / September 30, 2005 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I chose Apple

yes, the mac os x is a lot better than windows and linux. even when linux is better than windows. i've used windows 9 years and mac just 1, and i dont need more to realize that mac is light years ahead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.