The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

If you could have lunch with anyone ...

by mollywood CNET staff / November 15, 2005 3:29 AM PST

Ok, not really lunch. But if you could hear anyone in the tech industry interviewed, who would it be? Bill Gates? Steve Jobs? Forget about the guys from Google, they're not talking. We're taking suggestions, though, for our next lunchtime conversations!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If you could have lunch with anyone ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If you could have lunch with anyone ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pete Ashdown
by adkinsjm / November 15, 2005 4:28 AM PST

I think you should try Pete Ashdown. He is the CEO of XMission and running for the U.S. Senate against Orrin Hatch. His company is providing service on a municipalluy owned wi-fi network as well. As his website at, he posts his stand on issues such as technology, copywrite law, and patent reform. Just from a technological issue standpoint it would be good to hear some of his opinions.

I am not a campaign worker for him, nor have I decided whether or not to support him in the election. But he would be a good interview.

Collapse -
BT technologists
by rollingp / November 15, 2005 5:07 AM PST

Would have to be a virtual lunch, unless you could come to the UK?

Someone from British Telecom (BT) and the research and development guys based at Adastral Park. This is a 99-acre site near Ipswich in England. This site houses one of the highest concentrations of technologists in Europe!

Collapse -
by virtua / November 15, 2005 5:27 AM PST

Let's bring in head sony guys and ask them what the hell they were thinking with the root kit and this whole DRM issue.

Collapse -
Second that
by Quorum25 / November 16, 2005 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Sony!

I second that I would love to here Sony's take on this whole root kit thing

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe we could slap some sense into them!
by Orange16 / November 20, 2005 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Sony!
Collapse -
Shigeru Miyamoto
by sibod / November 15, 2005 5:52 AM PST

To find out if he really is as nuts as his games suggest Happy

Or Jeff Minter, to find out what makes him Trip... i mean Tick....

Collapse -
game makers
by thebeav / November 15, 2005 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Shigeru Miyamoto

try and get more people from game companies, with the new multicore consoles coming out and the xbox 360 next, i'm sure they have all kinds of cool stuff to talk about

Collapse -
by LiK / November 18, 2005 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: game makers

more game makers need to checked out. i know gamespot does this already but i'd love to hear the cnet crew interview these guys more

Collapse -
Open Source Leaders
by AndyInTN / November 15, 2005 6:50 AM PST

If you could talk with people in the open source community, I think that would be totally awesome. Developers of Linux distributions, developers and people who are involved & work with open source technology on a daily basis.

Collapse -
besides molly?
by n3r0 / November 15, 2005 7:18 AM PST

Linus Torvalds

Collapse -
by arshield / November 15, 2005 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: besides molly?

I would like to hear from Linus, someone from the patent office that could talk about what is going on there. I would like to hear from Google people (not necessarily the big guys). Maybe from people at google maps about how they have made it open for people to use for their own purposes (fraper, risk, etc.)

The MIT guys with the $100 laptop.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Second Linus
by Geeqgurl / November 17, 2005 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Linus
Collapse -
P&G executives
by sanbornjnk / November 15, 2005 8:27 AM PST

I know they're not techies, but they recently announced that they are finally upgrading the company to the 21st century (we're already 5 years in). It may not seem important, but maybe America would like to hear about what executives from Procter & Gamble, the nation's largest health and food company, think about technology's role in running a business.

Collapse -
I would have to say....
by rtemp / November 15, 2005 10:19 AM PST

Jobs or Woz

I would only have lunch with Bill Gates to punch him in the face, but that's just me. Silly

Collapse -
i'm not endorsing
by earlysound / November 16, 2005 1:20 AM PST

i'm just chuckling inwardly.

Collapse -
Negroponte, Kawasaki, Craig, Bezos
by boysfromboston / November 15, 2005 12:20 PM PST

Nicholas Negroponte. Former Mac man, Guy Kawasaki. Craig, of craigslist. Jeff Bezos.

Prescient and revolutionary in their own, different ways.

Collapse -
by Orange16 / November 15, 2005 12:29 PM PST

It would be unbelievably cool to have an interview with some of the Bungie staff and get some insider updates on the progress of Halo 3.

Collapse -
by rollingp / November 15, 2005 4:21 PM PST

Where is CNET heading...and how you balance commercial responsibilities with your journalistic integrity? Will CNET go the way of Sony, Google etc and look for world domination?

Oxford, England

Collapse -
Not Just a Person
by xAgent / November 15, 2005 8:14 PM PST

Truthfuly, I would love to sit down with the crew of researchers who took Steve Jobs for a tour of Zerox's PARC centre. These guys were responsible for planting the seed of the Machintosh GUI as we have come to know today. Not only that but they already had Voice Recognition enabled systems and the Laser Printer. And get this, this was all in the 60's and early 70's.
Talk about innovation before our time. I would love to know what they are working on now and to be a fly on the wall in those labs.

Collapse -
J Allard
by nwilson / November 15, 2005 11:05 PM PST

Might be interesting to hear him.

Collapse -
by dbenjan / November 16, 2005 12:26 AM PST

Declan McCullagh, CNet's chief political correspondent.

Collapse -
You Guys!
by wesley83 / November 16, 2005 2:06 AM PST

I would really like to know more about the Buzz Out Loud crew. How did each of you get to where you are? Where did you go to school? Stuff like that.

Veronica is a cutie patootie.

Collapse -
Ballmer, Moore, Rollins, Buffington
by Quorum25 / November 16, 2005 2:54 AM PST

I would like to hear and interview with Steve Ballmer. Man that guy is a piece of work (anyone seen the Ballmer music video: developers, developers, developers). Steve reminds me of a Bull in a china shop. Although with all the good things that M$ has been doing lately (M$ anitspyware killing the Sony root kit, working towards limited open source) maybe he got some Paxil.

Also I'm a HUGE Battlestar Galatica fan, I would like to hear Ronald D. Moore Executive Director of BSG. Not really tech related but hey we are all geeks and prob like the same things. His podcast are really cool and he seems like he would be a neat guy to interview.

Kevin Rollins- CEO Dell,

Or even the CEO or someone from the company I work for NSI , (real-time data replication/ Disaster recovery software.) I would suggest our director of business continiuity Jason Buffington since he is a great speaker and very funny to talk with.

(p.s. Sorry about creating a new thread clicked the wrong button)

Collapse -
Google Guy
by alshinn / November 16, 2005 2:33 PM PST

I know you said no Google guys, but there's no one on the planet I'd love to hear from more. I'm a huge Google fan, even own some of their stock. The share prices make me an even bigger Google fan!
- Andrew

Collapse -
Ray Kurzweil
by Ninereeds / November 16, 2005 6:51 PM PST

He's the guy who thinks a lot about 20 years or more in the future and where computers might be (and humans!).

Collapse -
Jonathan IVE - British born designer of iPod, iMac etc
by rollingp / November 17, 2005 2:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Open Source Open Source Open Source
by ssravp / November 17, 2005 3:24 AM PST

Representatives from the Open Source community, Mozilla, Open etc, etc.

Collapse -
Peter Rojas and Ryan Block, from Engadget (no pun)
by raftos / November 17, 2005 11:18 PM PST

It'd be really nice to have the four of you chatting about future developments of technologies, internet and gadgetry.

Collapse -
Plasma/LCD/OLED Display Makers
by MooreSites / November 17, 2005 11:25 PM PST

I'm not sure who would be the best, but someone to talk about the future (or near future) of flat screen display technology - what's the next big thing?

Collapse -
MIT Techonology review
by arshield / November 17, 2005 11:38 PM PST

I used to get MIT technology review (free subscription) it was a great magazine and I would like to hear from editors about the next big thing. I know that you guys probably could do some of this, but if you are doing an interview you have to interview someone.

One of the most intersting articles I read was about a PDA based projector to change the interface of how we use mobile computers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.