Speakeasy

Rant

IF true...this is terrible

by JP Bill / December 7, 2012 12:38 AM PST
Nurse duped in Kate Middleton prank call found dead in suspected suicide

LONDON - A female nurse who took a prank call at the London hospital that treated Prince William's pregnant wife Kate for morning sickness has been found dead, the hospital said on Friday.

The death, which police said they were treating as unexplained, comes days after the King Edward VII hospital apologized after falling for the call from an Australian radio station and relaying details about Kate's condition.

"It is with very deep sadness that we confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha," the hospital said in a statement.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IF true...this is terrible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IF true...this is terrible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
maybe she brought "shame"
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 3:53 AM PST

on the family? Muslim??

Collapse -
Just when I think you can't get any worse
by JP Bill / December 7, 2012 4:08 AM PST

you do.

Collapse -
I like this article on it
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 5:19 AM PST
Gives more information, such as her being married with children. It also addresses the issue of who is to blame.

" But if she was willing to kill herself and leave a husband and two
children behind to grieve, there had to be more going on than just
embarrassment or shame over falling for a stupid hoax."
Collapse -
RE: It also addresses the issue of who is to blame.
by JP Bill / December 7, 2012 5:42 AM PST

All it proves to me is

YOU are not alone.

Collapse -
that would be her brother doing the honor killing
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 6:49 AM PST

not her suicide.

Nice to see how you manage to inject your prejudices.

Collapse -
those were questions
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 7:31 AM PST

and ones hopefully the police will also consider, since they've not definitely stated it was suicide, yet.

Collapse -
(NT) 6 oclock national network news labelled it a suicide
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: those were questions
Collapse -
If you could set aside your prejudices for a moment
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 7:35 AM PST

and instead regain your powers of reason, you might do some study on the subject of honor killing in the western nations among Muslims. It's extended itself now also to Turkey, where women are urged to "honor suicide" if the family feels they've been shamed by her in some manner.

My question was not out of line, if she's Muslim, it's a valid query, once one puts their knee jerk reactions aside and return to a reasonable thinking process.

Collapse -
Wonder if there is honor suicide or killing
by Diana Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 7:45 AM PST

among the males because they brought shame onto the family?

Diana

Collapse -
Have you ever heard of such?
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 8:16 AM PST

Maybe there is, but I haven't heard of it.

Collapse -
old Japanese culture did, think maybe some
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 8:50 AM PST

older Chinese did too.

Collapse -
Have you ever read the writings of "Polly Baker"?
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 3:19 PM PST

"She" wrote a couple centuries ago about problems still pervasive today.

Collapse -
(NT) so it's the human condition, not a modern illness
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 9:58 PM PST
Collapse -
it's not that such isn't possible
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 8:49 AM PST

it's just that's your first question?

first instinct huh?

Collapse -
It is your instant Muslim baiting assumption that is
by Ziks511 / December 7, 2012 11:35 AM PST

offensive. You don't even know whether she is or is not, but that was your go-to explanation. Why didn't you just leave the issue to be resolved in later news reports, but no, James has to be first to play the religion card. Combined with your Apologetic defense of Ivan Demjanjuk, who may not have been Ivan the Terrible, but was very certainly a Terrible Ivan as a concentration Camp guard, indicates that your judgement is still deeply defective, and is more happy with blame than praise or even neutrality.

Shame on you, James, there is no reason to suggest honour killing or any other religious punishment when you have no clue regarding her origin.

Rob

Collapse -
Keep beating that drum
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 2:50 PM PST

It's really sad you'd not even entertain the possibility she'd been murdered. I guess you'd just sweep it under the rug, make the police department's life easier. At least I was willing to consider the very real possibility, even if she was a woman you don't seem to care enough toward to consider that possibility. It's that sort of attitude that lets the persecution of women continue in this world. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Collapse -
have you lost it completely?
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 3:00 PM PST

Really?! Ivan the Terrible? That's what jumps to your mind first? There is absolutely NO relationship between this and that. If you have to strain that hard to pass something off as analogous, please take a mental laxative instead.

Collapse -
The call
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 5:29 AM PST
Collapse -
RE: Nothing really so bad with it.
by JP Bill / December 7, 2012 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: The call

What about the shame it would bring to her and her family?

Collapse -
What's "shame" to one
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 5:56 AM PST

is a joke to another. Different cultures clashing maybe. Her home is 120 miles away from the hospital, and that's where her husband and children live. Why was she living in a hospital apartment? Just go home on weekends? I suspect she was already depressed.

If someone makes a joke and all have a good laugh, then makes the same joke again and a person uses that as an excuse to kill themselves, was the latter joke worse than the first? I think not.

Collapse -
I doubt anyone thinks it was just this prank
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: What's "shame" to one

and nonsense talk about the reporters being in legal trouble should just that, nonsense.

But you're the one that suggested she may have killed herself for shame.

Collapse -
so, you have another theory
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 2:51 PM PST

on why she killed herself? Maybe it was being proud of what happened that caused her to do that?

Collapse -
I was actually agreeing with one part of your post
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 10:05 PM PST

that she certainly had other problems.

It may have triggered a terrible reaction, but surely you don't advocate that the one episode would be enough to push a anywhere near normal balenced individual would suicide over this?

You mentioned she may have been depressed. So you think something more was involved too.

But you were the one previously that indicate shame over this incident may have motivated by bringing shame on her family.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, I think more was involved than just the prank
by James Denison / December 8, 2012 4:28 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:Why was she living in a hospital apartment?
by JP Bill / December 7, 2012 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: What's "shame" to one
Why was she living in a hospital apartment?

Because that's where she was working...120 miles from home...and she didn't want to/couldn't afford to commute that distance every day.

Would YOU drive/commute 240 miles a day, don't forget to take into account there is a possibility she was working more than 8 hours a day...longer shift = less "down time/commuting time"....She was being practical.

If someone makes a joke and all have a good laugh,

ALL?

Are you positive that the people that were pranked had a good laugh?
Collapse -
LOL
by James Denison / December 8, 2012 5:10 AM PST

You want a definite answer for a hypothetical situation?! Now THAT is funny, LOL.

"Because that's where she was working...120 miles from home"

Uh, that's what I said. You get no points for repetition. You appeal to being practical however. Practical would either move to London, or find a job in Bristol.

London to Bristol by Train
There are frequent trains to Bristol Temple Meads from Paddington Station. The journey takes just under and 1hr 45min. Advance round trip fares start at £20.00.

A yearly season ticket which allows travel to and from London & Bristol cost approximately 20 pounds per day.

Collapse -
What we haven't heard is what the response of the Hospital
by Ziks511 / December 7, 2012 11:21 AM PST

Adminstration was regarding its staff who were suckered by those idiots in Australia. If the Hospital came down very heavily on Jacintha Saldanaha, and she saw her nursing career at risk, she might have been pushed a very long way. Generally British management is not inclined to be very understanding or inclined to handle their employees gently.

To hear that she had two children makes this whole thing that much worse.

The name sounds Portuguese to me, or Spanish. It doesn't sound Arabic, but I could be wrong.

Rob

Collapse -
re name sounding culture
by Roger NC / December 7, 2012 11:35 AM PST

while perhaps more common in US, a married woman's last name doesnt mean much as to guessing her culture history.

I will say I'd be more surprised if a Mulsim raised woman had married far afield, and that's just because so few proportionally have yet to be given a chance to be individuals and make such choices freely.

Collapse -
she forwarded a phone call
by James Denison / December 7, 2012 2:53 PM PST

That's all. It's the other nurse who spilled the beans on Middleton's condition, who did all the blabbing. That's what makes her death seem suspicious enough to warrant a look at other possibilities.

Collapse -
RE:who did all the blabbing.
by JP Bill / December 7, 2012 10:54 PM PST

You consider that "blabbing"?

Responding to a persons question on a telephone?...is blabbing?

Have you ever phoned a hospital to ask the condition of a friend or relative?....Did you consider it "blabbing" IF/WHEN they responded to you?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.