Desktops forum

General discussion

If not Dell, what brands are highly rated?

by Steve_R / July 3, 2005 12:36 PM PDT

Ok. I bought a Dell in 1998 and I'm ready for
a new pc now. I haven't had any problems with
Dell but I purchased 7 years ago. If Dell is so
bad why do they continuously sell so many pcs?
What brands are better?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If not Dell, what brands are highly rated?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If not Dell, what brands are highly rated?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
lets see
by AKonny47 / July 3, 2005 2:00 PM PDT

abs, monarch,falcon northwest,ibuypower,gateway,shuttle,voodoo,alienware,c9tech

Collapse -
by nerdyboy1234 / July 3, 2005 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: lets see

its not dat dells are bad. its just they are not too good if you plan to upgrade your computer when it gets outdated. if you are a regular user and not a gamer, dells are great. however if u upgrade stuff, owning a dell isnt good because u have to buy special power supply first as dells have special connection to the mobo and the power supply is really expensive.

if u arent planning to upgrade the computer (pci-express graphics card) then dell will be just fine.

Collapse -
Happy with my Dell
by wrathofall / October 13, 2005 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: re

I purchased a Dell two years ago, and I have updated it quite a bit. It depends on the model. If you get a higher end Dell, it is very easy to update with new components. I have been very happy with it.

Collapse -
Define updated
by javanek / October 13, 2005 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Happy with my Dell

Our agency has just purchased 800 new Dells and there is little if any room to upgrade. These are not the "entry-level" machines but are some rather nice boxes. Problems I have with them are:

No room for additional hard drives
Only 1 SATA controller for the current hard drive
No room for additional CD/DVD drives
Only 2 PCI slots
Proprietary components like mobo and power supply
Limited air flow and ventilation

On the good side you can add memory as they give you four slots. (Configured from Dell with 2x512Mb) Also we don't have a huge failure rate with them. Some memory bad and a couple of mobo problems, but that is over several hundred machines.

For a business they will meet today's needs and probably be fine for three to four years. Downside, no real upgrade path. Replacement only.

Collapse -
Dell Upgradable
by HalornHalfgrey / September 8, 2006 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Define updated

the systems your business bought were most likely the slimline or sff boxes. Great for cubicles with little room or stacking under a conference table. There are also GX280 & GX620s that have plenty of room for full sized video cards, additional Hard drives (they come with additional rails also) and an extra 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 drive bays. The major downside still is in three years when you've squeezed out all you can with upgrades you won't be able to slap a new motherboard in to keep the system from becoming obsolete.

Collapse -
IIf you buy non-upgradable PC's they are...
by fbbbb / June 19, 2007 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Define updated

Blame yourselves, not the manufacturer.

Collapse -
It all depends...
by djuang1 / October 13, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Happy with my Dell

I'd say that it all depends on what type of user you are...

If your a gamer... go with Alienware.

A busines user... I'd say IBM/Lenovo.

Casual user... go with Dell

A modder... build your own computer.

Collapse -
by ironyears / October 14, 2005 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: It all depends...

Sure, if you can afford it, AlienWare is an excellent gaming puter sysetm with multiple processors, out-of-sight graphics, video, and sound, but then if you had that kind of money, you could probably buy a puter for each function!!

I have been gaming from a Commie 64 up through the ranks of IBM and forward, and have used almost every make of puter at some point. The curtial aspects are
1. if you can do-it-yourself,
2. if you want to buy a system and just use it.

If you can add to a puter, I have found that e-Machine is an excellent upgrader, and if you get somewhere in the top of the line, you will have plenty of slots, ram space and areas for hds, the e-Machine I ended up with when I was done was running at 2.5 Ghz, had a 512 Rad. video card, top of the line SoundBlaster, 1 Gig Ram, 200 Gig HD, and other little goodies, all picked up on sale for a song after rebates. That was my ''extreme gaming machine'' though I lost it through an unfortunate life experience.

As far as out-of-the-box systems, I have used Dell, and the newer (since the combination of HP and Compaq) Compacq, with I am currently using for gaming as I purchased a fairly decent one on sale. 2.5 Ghz, 512 Ram, 128 video, 200 Gig HD, and a very decent sound card in a AMD 64 3400+ Compaq Presario bundle. Straight out of the box, I could play any game I have, such as Halo, Unreal Tourney 2004, BattleField 1942, and other farily intensive games with just a few tweaks of the options in each game.

SO, as I am more than pleased with this particular system, I would have to recommend it for both gaming, general puting, and even a home wireless network system with 2 other puters here.

Hope this helps a bit.

Collapse -
by boldins / December 27, 2006 7:04 AM PST

It all depends...
by djuang1 - 10/14/05 6:51 AM
In reply to: Happy with my Dell by wrathofall
I'd say that it all depends on what type of user you are...
If your a gamer... go with Alienware.
A busines user... I'd say IBM/Lenovo.
Casual user... go with Dell
A modder... build your own computer.
Quote above shows an IBM as recommendation for business users. As a help-desk operator I can tell you that IBM has the worst track record of all of our other types of machines. An even distribution of Dell, HP and IBM are in our 3,500+ locations worldwide. Of the calls we receive, approximately 70% are IBM's.
On top of that, the technicians sent out by IBM are less than satisfactory (at best).

Collapse -
dell buy AW
by repete_smile / August 4, 2008 7:43 PM PDT

DELL bought alienware, then promptly ruined it. if you want a gaming pc, go with velocity micro, falcon nw, or even better, build your own.

Collapse -
by Howlleo / October 16, 2005 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: re

I bought an IBuyPower and it sucked.

1. the case came scratched, and with a chip off the silver facing.

2. the light died within the week and they replaced it with a dorky smaller light that didn't light up the case properly.

3. the speakers died, the mouse died, all within the warrenty period. So did the replacements. I replaced with my neighbors hand-me-downs and they've lasted til now.

4. Not sure exactly what happned in the beginning, but I actually ended up deleting all software, reinstalling windows and repartitioning the drives within 2 days of turning the thing on the for the first time. This means I also lost a lot of the extra software they bundled in, but at that point I was just glad to have a computer.

I like being able to design my own PC, but next time I'll try another vendor.

Dell is a bit too stodgy though.

Collapse -
by zeppelin777 / October 18, 2005 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: NOT IBUYPOWER

I recently purchased a sony 64bit with 1gig of ram and i am very happy with it. It runs smoothly and i really enjoy the media center. I have had gateways, dells, and customs and i prefer sony.

Collapse -
Check the motherboard first - that's the key
by dlauber / October 14, 2005 2:08 AM PDT

Those are some good brands that AKonny47 suggested -- in large part because they use quality motherboards and many allow you to select the components that go into your computer.

After nearly 25 years of using PCs and upgrading or building 50 or so Windows computers, I'm pretty well convinced that the key to a solid, reliable computer is its motherboard. Most of the big name manufacturers use relatively lousy motherboards, or when they use a good one, they have a special version manufactured just for them with some features removed to save a few cents in manufacturing (in one instance HP had boards built that did not include a jumper to clear the CMOS -- wrecking a friends computer and forcing HP to ship him a new one). You're best bet is to order from places like where you can select the components. I've been sticking with Asus motherboards and AMD processors. Most of today's Asus motherboards for AMD 64-bit processors with 939 pins are future proof because they accept AMD's 64-bit dual core processors (which are way too expensive now for all but the wealthy, but will be affordable to regular people in a year or two). To see which ones support the dual core, go to
and work your way to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors.
Other than buying online from such manufacturers, you may be best off with a so-called ''white box'' computer built for you by a local computer expert or storefront. The catch is that a lot of these storefront charge high prices or, like the big-name manufacturers, skimp on the quality of parts. So you really need to specify which motherboard and parts you want -- and beware of cheap imitations.

The other key factor is technical support. Dell, HP, Compaq, and Sony continue to be the pits. Long waits, bad advice, and often very rude and insulting tech advisors -- simply a disaster. I've got to report, though, that Gateway has turned it around in terms of tech support. I just bought a Gateway MX7515 notebook and each time I called tech support with a question (beyond what the usual computer user would ask), the phone was answered within 25 seconds by a live technician (located in the U.S.A.) who knew his stuff pretty darn well and was very polite. And I must admit that if you want a highspeed notebook the MX7515 offers the AMD64 4000 mobile process, a GB of RAM, 100 GB hard drive, 15-inch monitor (and a lot of heat) for about $1300 at Best Buy. It's worth checking out if you want a notebook.

Good luck. And remember, friends don't let friends buy HP (or Compaq now).

Collapse -
motherboard quality
by halff / October 14, 2005 4:27 AM PDT

I agree with the sad tail of cheap M/boards in some of the popular desktops.Ok they look great when they show you in the shop,that is because they use reasonable graphics cards,but all that glistens is not golden,and that will become a open pit when upgrade time comes. H.P are good for that, the power supply is a wee mini one in a mini case and when you add the usual things to the puter I.E. printer scanner camera and other things the power is not up to it and dies The H.P power supply is expensive to replace[ you could buy a new full size box with power supply of a decent size and still have 80% of the power supply cost in your pocket]. Also some of these brands do not come with a copy of the operating system. just a stupid recovery disc. So if thing really turn bellyup You are in for trouble unless you have your own copy. I build quite a few desktops and agree that Asus boards are rock solid but they like good quality Ram.I would use a good dual channel Motherboard for gaming.
That is not a bad thing as they never come back with a motherboard failure, the only thing recently is AMD processor failure,Had 2 in the last week. but on the whole the package is good.
Unfortunaty in desktops you get what you pay for,and some of the retail brands are overpriced for what you get and can build one for. My advice is spend the extra 100 and get one built for what you want, and buy an operating system for it. Another trap is the Monitor, sure the LCD ones look great and do not take up much room, but the CRT ones are cheaper and the quality for what you pay is better. cheap LCDs are not worth it in terms of depth and resulution, unless you are doing plain office work and not playing games or graphic work.

Collapse -
by In-Correct / September 28, 2008 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: motherboard quality

The reason why Dell is selling so many computers is because many of them are very basic and not many people are able or willing to pay a lot for computers.

I recommend HP...or Compaq.
Lots of machines have built in memory card readers now, but back in 2004 those two were the only ones I could find that had those features. Now my ViewSonic monitor has that!! So I think that device is more available now. But I am surprised that my Compaq has lasted this long.

I think I will someday just keep the case (and internal memory card readers) and replace the motherboard and processor eventually whenever that might be needed...

I would be careful with Dell. They sell a lot of basic machines. I think they even sell cash registers. They sell printers but they just stick their name on them. I do not recommend Dell printers at all. (I recommend Samsung). But some Dells have more features and performance and upgradability than others. And I do know that Dell has numerous USB connetions. Mine originally has 4 in back and 3 in front. But I think Dells have 9 or 10 in back. And more can be added with PCI Cards.

Collapse -
Dlauber: Please read
by mamajenn / June 25, 2006 11:46 AM PDT

Read your post ref desktop computers. I am in the market for a new computer and have read everything possible but am confused about some terms so I thought I would ask for help.
Gateway FX510:
Processor: Pentium D 930 (3.00 ghz, 800 mhz FSB, 2x2 MB cache, non- HT EM64T Is this processor better than AMD 64+ or 64 x2? I am clueless as to what all the terms mean??????

Chipset: Intel 975 chipsety with DDR2 Support?????

Memory: 1 GB (PC 5300 Dual Channel DDR2 667 MHz SCRAM????
Am I correct in assuming that the higher the PC # the faster the mem? What does the MHz # mean?

Is the NVidia 6600 better than the NVidia 7300?

This computer info is from the gateway site. Would I be better to get a white box gateway that has the athlon processor rather than the Pentium D?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Collapse -
by mrstuffie / December 11, 2006 1:38 PM PST

I cant seem to find anywhere that says if the MX7515 laptop has the Radeon X600 video card built in or I can change it out. Because 64MB of installed memory isnt enough to play all the high end stuff like FEAR.

Collapse -
by johncriley / October 14, 2005 6:31 AM PDT

There is not much of a question of what brand to buy--

Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell
Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell Dell

Collapse -
Why Dell?
by k2mc / October 14, 2005 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello??

In response to your answer, my question is:
Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Collapse -
I Agree
by blondiejane / October 22, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello??

I am a devoted Dell User! After struggling with different brands of computers I decided to try a Dell Dimension 8200. I love it! I bought mine in December 2001 and have no problems with it. I recently upgraded the memory, processor from 1.8 to 2.8 ghtz, the video card, and sound card. It was very easy and I was able to do all upgrades myself.

I am an unofficial support person in my community and have dealt with numerous problems with other brands of computers. I have also dealt with almost every tech support for the different brands of computers. My best experience has been with Dell. My worst experience was with Compaq. My sister-in-law owned a Gateway and had nothing with problems with it and the tech support.

My recommendation: Go With Dell!

Collapse -
Hardware Vendor
by mdemski / December 16, 2005 5:42 AM PST

I bought my last computer from Velocity Micro. I'm a tough customer. Love their quality, you can see in the way the wires are wrapped. Love their support. A few quirky things happened, and I push my PC to the max on video editing/gaming etc and they helped me out tremendously

Collapse -
by hpsux / July 11, 2008 10:50 AM PDT

I sent my laptop (dv2116wm) to HP to repair for the broken wireless card on 5/12/2008.

Got it back on 5/14/2008.
Wireless card was fixed, BUT found tons of new scratches on the laptop case, and even a crack on the monitor screen! Tech support broke my monitor!!!!

Called customer service, they promised they would fix the broken monitor
Sent laptop back to HP again on 5/19/2008
Got it back on 5/27/2008
NOTHING was fixed, but the packing slip said LCD was replaced! LIAR!!!!!

Called customer service again, again they promised they would REALLY fix the problem this time.
Sent laptop back to HP on 6/2/2008
Got it back on 6/10/2008

NOTHING WAS FIXED AGAIN!! Nothing was being replaced. The crack is still on the screen, so are the scratches on the case!

I could probably live with the new scratches on the case, but definitely not the crack on the monitor screen!!!! It is totally unacceptable!!!!! Before I sent my laptop to HP, it was in a likely new condition. But when I got it back, the monitor was broken and case was damaged!! It became a piece of garbage! I sent it back to HP 2 more times, both time got it back UNREPAIRED! I deeply regretted that I bought HP's product. I would never ever buy any product from this shxty company again!!!

So I got a case manager the 4rd time! and he said that there was nothing he could do unless I send back my computer to get it first one last time! So I did! I sent it back on 6/18/2008, and a week later, I got a call saying that the part that they need to fix my computer is out of stock,and I have to wait till 7/19/2008!

Then it happened that the Fedex people delivered my package to a wrong address!!! Someone took my computer away! I was so pissed and I contacted Fedex and ask to file a claim,but Fedex people told me HP should file it for me since HP is the sender! OK here is the best part. I call HP 1800# then the day after, I got a call from some unknown hp agent saying that

I dont have to worry about anything,HP will open a case for me and as soon as they get everything they need in hand they will mail me a new computer. And that person said that he would have a case manager called me and he himself would also follow back the call to make sure that the case manager call. So I waited a whole day, nothing happened! Then I called my case manager asked him if he had talked to Fedex. And this case manager acted like he was first heard about this!!!! He said he didnt know why someone called, and said that was out of his hand! In other word, he is saying that HP is done with me!! But HP is the company that hired Fedex!!!They are the customer of Fedex, I am just a customer of HP!!! I am so fed up with HP, first they produced defective product, second they broke my monitor instead of fixing it, 3rd they sent back an unrepair item , 4th they push away the responsibility.

Eventually, I called HP Guest Relation Dept,and was trying to file a complaint against the case manager. And here this woman, I dont even know whom, telling me that she knows my story! and whatever the mighty case manager told me to do is whatever HP could do with a very rude tone of voice!!!

Collapse -
by hpstinks007 / September 28, 2008 3:27 PM PDT
In reply to: HP SUCKS ASS

Hey I agree have had similar experinece. Check this website out as well
this person is trying to gather up complains as well, so i would def. list the complains over here as well. Just copy paste your or something.

Collapse -
by Willy / July 3, 2005 5:45 PM PDT

In the years you've had your Dell system, Dell support has truly "nose dived". Alot has changed even though they still sell alot of systems, the sheer numbers they generate in sales will in no thought cause some problems, however, I can truly say, Dell really needs to improve thier support model. Plus, more than ever they're selling to the "home user" even though they did in the past, it seems far too many users become unhappy at the slightest cause and DelL's support doesn't improve the situation. I know they're happy users out there, but I hear the squeaky wheel more now than ever, IMHO. If you want to look at a decent system and for cost its hard to beat, look at eMachines offering. You can pick-up any decent magazine and check what's for sale as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell Support
by pnutbdr / October 13, 2005 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

I help people at my office, friends and family with their personal tech support needs. I don't have have a dell, but on the 2 occasions I've had to call Dell tech support, they were great. Very responsive, short hold times, and curtious.

I have a Monarch Computer. Love it!!!!!

Collapse -
by tglpn / October 13, 2005 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell Support

I am also, the neghborhood pc fixer, As far as Dell is concerned for regular users, the support site is one of the best. Like downloading driver's and such. Try doing that on a Hewlett Packard. When I am asked to fix someone's pute, the first thing I ask is: Is it a HP? 80% of the time is "yes". Gag a Maggot, Thank the Lord, there is windriver's. I suggest build your own. Buy your own OS that way you don't have to deal with all the crap you get with name brand pute's.

Collapse -
Re:Dell Support
by javanek / October 13, 2005 11:38 PM PDT

I would have to disagree with you on this. Dell support ranks rather low in most circles. While I have dealt with worse, it doesn't make it any better. Whenever I have occasion to call I do whatever I can to get away from the tier one people. They will have you do the most ridiculous things that would have nothing to do with the reason for your call. They also tend to give inaccurate information. One time they told a friend that everything she needed was in the box to reinstall her system. Only problem was the driver cd's included were for an Optiplex not a Dimension. When questioned they said everything would be fine. Then when the system was hosed without drivers (they are not on the Optiplex disk when you have a Dimension) they told her to go to the Dell website. How do you do that when you have no NIC driver? So she had to wait four days for them to send out a disk, which again was the Optiplex disk. Finally she asked me for help and I went to the Dell site and downloaded the drivers. Even then the list every driver that has ever been used on that model not just what is installed on your machine. So you may have to try several before you are successful. They should take a look at the way the Gateway site is done. When you pull up your machine by serial number it lists only the drivers that came installed on that system when shipped. Much simpler and elegant.

I do have to note that this is not just a Dell problem. The industry as a whole has gone to the dogs as far as customer support. Another supplier I deal with is somewhat worse. While tech support is good they are extremely difficult to get a hold of. There have been occasions where I have waited on hold for over thirty minutes. Then I usually hang up and call back to the sales department. Amazing how they never seem to be overloaded with calls. No hold time at all. Then I just ask them to transfer me to support and I get right through.

Collapse -
response to dell support
by brucewayne / October 14, 2005 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Dell Support

I've called dell support numerous times for help and I've always had a courteous and knowledgeable tech on the line. I didn't wait more than 5 to 8 minutes before I got a tech on the line.

There were times when they even called me back to follow up on a problem and sure there were a couple of times when they said they'll call me back and they didn't, but I would say 98% of the time I had no real problem with dell techs.

Collapse -
Ageeing with Bruce, had great support from Dell.
by MegsL / October 14, 2005 9:04 PM PDT

Obviously every service line is only as good as its individual operators, but I've had great support from Dell and have always found them both courteous and constructive. My 2-year-old Dimension desktop recently had its hard drive trashed through pure ignorance (I didn't know you couldn't combine Norton Ghost, Norton GoBack and a SATA stripe array disk...) and Dell support could not have been kinder - new hard drive, tower pick-up and delivery exactly when promised, not a word of reproach even. I cannot thank them enough.

One thing about Dell, you MUST have your PC's individual identity number to hand when you phone them. They need access to the machine's past history and can otherwise do nothing, but that seems quite reasonable to me. Hi all, this is a great forum! - Meg.

Collapse -
by hatedell / October 14, 2005 7:47 AM PDT

You must know somebody at Dell, because every time that I would call them it would take me no less than 30 minutes to get one of those non-computer experts on the phone.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.