AVG

Question

If I upgrade to the pay version of AVG, will it detect if an

by Jeanowaller / September 14, 2012 1:22 PM PDT

up-grade to AVG paid version

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If I upgrade to the pay version of AVG, will it detect if an
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If I upgrade to the pay version of AVG, will it detect if an
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
AVG
by pgc3 / September 14, 2012 1:58 PM PDT

Detect what?

Collapse -
(NT) do I have a firewall?
by Jeanowaller / September 15, 2012 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG
Collapse -
Firewall
by pgc3 / September 15, 2012 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: do I have a firewall?

Typically there is a firewall in Windows and whether it is running would depend your having activated it from Windows Security Center in Control Panel. Your post is a little light, you mention nothing about the operating system you are using. I believe some of the AVG packages also include a firewall in the software, there are a few variations of the paid software and some may or may not include a firewall. I just did a load of AVG for a friend, one of the paid (retail on CD) it did not have a F/W so I initiated the Windows F/W. Personally, with any paid/retail software such as this I would highly recommend purchasing it on disk (retail store) rather than doing the upgrade online, over the years I have had several negative experiences with some of these downloads. There are other variables and different trains of thought on what to or not to do. The assumption is that this is a desktop on a hardwire hook up, a bit more secure than wireless.

Collapse -
RE:(NT) do I have a firewall?
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / September 16, 2012 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: do I have a firewall?

Hi Jeanowaller,

As mentioned by pgc3 above, some AVG packages include AVG Firewall. Specifically the Internet Security and Premium Security packages. You can upgrade your AVG 2012 to AVG 2013 online for free, as described here.

Should you need more information, please elaborate your situation in more details.

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.