The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

If cell phone usage were allowed on flights today...

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / September 12, 2006 5:55 AM PDT

If cell phone usage were allowed on flights today, what's the number one policy change that should occur?

Time limit for calls (how long?)
Calls to be made in soundproof booths only
Flight attendant can ask an individual to disconnect anytime
Separate section for phone users
Kill-switch for flight crew to interrupt all usage during announcements
Other (what would it be?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If cell phone usage were allowed on flights today...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If cell phone usage were allowed on flights today...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cell phone usage on flight
by sterlinghawk / September 12, 2006 10:33 AM PDT

If you are going to allow cell usage on flight. Keep the owner of the cell on the ground. Road rage? How about flight rage!

Collapse -
other choice ...
by ltullos / September 12, 2006 11:33 AM PDT

too easy, just take it outside! Sorry, but there's way too many annoying people trying to star in their own movie for this to ever be workable. The only potentially acceptable use would be e-mail or text messaging, but I'm sure many would find a way to abuse this as well.

Collapse -
other choice
by elliott96 / September 12, 2006 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: other choice ...

i currently sit thru every commute listening to the most boring conversations. however, there I can change seats, but to sit on a flight for any amount of time listening to some inconsiderate fool babbling about crap, i dont think i can put up with it for much time.These individuals should step outside the plane to make their calls, they can get better reception.

Collapse -
Amen!
by cvknisley / September 12, 2006 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: other choice

The roaring of the jet is enough.............we shouldn't be subjected to more. I'll just keep my Bose headphones on.

Collapse -
other
by danocles / September 12, 2006 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: other choice ...

Listening to someone prattle on for an hour on a bus can drive one to the brink of homicide. How does three hours on a plane sound? Better have air marshals on board because it's going to get ugly!

Collapse -
cell phones on airplanes
by baddragon / September 12, 2006 12:07 PM PDT

Yes: just in case you need to call your spouse to tell her that some terrorist has decided to end it all on your flight.

[Edited by: admin to edit offensive word ]

Collapse -
Your reasonning to use a cell phone on a plane is unrational
by aka_tripleB / September 12, 2006 3:54 PM PDT

First, there is is only a remote possiblity for hijacking. There are hundreds of flights a day, thousands a week, and and you are only thinking about one day that plances were hijacked. While, yes it was a horrible event, it only has happened once (4 times if you really want to be technical). But now people are less likely to sit back and let someone take over a plane.

Second, there is very little a cell phone will help. The only thing it could really be used for is to say good-bye to whomever. The only other possible use a cell phone could serve is as a projectile to render a hijacker unconcious. Besides, if you are that desprit to call someone, you could use the airphones that are on the plane. They might be expensive, but if you are going to die what do you care. Sorry to be blunt, but there is really no justifiable use for a cell phone on a plane.

Collapse -
Fail English?
by hinder90 / September 12, 2006 5:09 PM PDT

That's unpossible!

Collapse -
Yes, I had a little problem with English
by aka_tripleB / September 12, 2006 6:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Fail English?

But, correcting people's grammar and spelling isn't the point of many public forums. While yes there are several spelling and grammar mistakes in my previous comment, it is still clear what the point of it was.

Also, "unrational" is still grammatically correct because, "negative adjectives are formed with 'UN-.'

Collapse -
Other Options and English
by grayja / September 13, 2006 2:12 AM PDT

Firstly, Mobile Phones should only be allowed in the Toilets, and must be kept off while in the seats.

Secondly - you are correct - this is a technical discussion, not a seminar on English Grammer.

Thirdly, you are wrong - for every rule in English Grammer, there are exceptions:
ir-regular not un-regular
ir-reperable not un-repairable
ir-relevent not un-relevent
in-appropriate not un-appropriate,
and NEVER NEVER ir-regardless
etc, etc

Collapse -
Besides, cell phones weren't allowed on Flight 93,

but were clearly put to good use by the passengers. We're talking routine situations here, not emergencies!

Furthermore your perjorative term should not go unnotced or uncriticized.
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
do cell phones work on planes?
by Marysue / September 12, 2006 11:54 PM PDT

So? Do they work on planes or just in some fictional Flight 93 episode? Nobody is answering this!

Collapse -
Yes, cellphones work just fine in aircraft.............
by scottbeck / September 15, 2006 7:26 PM PDT

The REAL reason you are not supposed to use them is that from the height of an aircraft they confuse the receivers on the ground because your phone is visible to so many "cells" at once. It is not truly a safety issue - that is a con.
On every flight there are at least a few left on accidentally.
Ref - this extract from an article in The Economist....
"Please switch off all mobile phones, since they can interfere with the aircraft's navigation systems. At least, that's what you've always been told. The real reason to switch them off is because they interfere with mobile networks on the ground, but somehow that doesn't sound quite so good. On most flights a few mobile phones are left on by mistake, so if they were really dangerous we would not allow them on board at all, if you think about it. We will have to come clean about this next year, when we introduce in-flight calling across the Veritas fleet. At that point the prospect of taking a cut of the sky-high calling charges will miraculously cause our safety concerns about mobile phones to evaporate."

Collapse -
That's not a very relevant reason
by wresnick / September 13, 2006 7:06 AM PDT

Lots of people used cell phones on 9/11 five years ago. I suppose that some considered the ban, but in general, I doubt that lifting a ban is really needed for this reason.

Collapse -
But HAVE you used a cell phone up in the air?
by Marysue / September 13, 2006 11:04 AM PDT

Did they use cell phones in 9/11? Who is "they"? Is there any proof -- I mean REAL proof -- that cell phones work up 12,000 feet above?

THAT makes the whole question of whether cell phones should be used in the air or not rather moot, don't you think? So far, not one person on this discussion has said he or she has used a cell phone with success in the the air. I have only seen people use cell phones upon landing in an urban area. But then, I know that even satellite phones hardly ever work anywhere but in urban areas. It's especially horrible when you can't get a hold of a hospital or helicopter rescue or anything when you are way out in the boonies. It's been a real problem for us in the ambulance remote rescue service.

Collapse -
Of course there is proof!
by wresnick / March 7, 2007 2:14 AM PST

There are many recordings of 911 calls made from the hijacked airplanes. There are many relatives who recounted tales of speaking to their loved ones on cell phones that day. Much of what is known about what happened that day is based on cell phone conversations.

There has never been any doubt that cell phones work from airplanes. The real issue has always been the opposite. From the ground, the nearest cell picks up your call. Sometimes, proximity to multiple cells is an issue, but a manageable one. But from the air, your call is being received by a large number of cells with line of sight view, and a concern is that it could overwhelm the system.

Collapse -
CELL PHONE USAGE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON FLIGHTS
by mandrewwhiteman / September 12, 2006 12:14 PM PDT

Due to terrorism possibilities, cell phone use should not be allowed on airplanes.

Collapse -
Cells phone should not be during the flight.
by Michael Thould / September 12, 2006 12:24 PM PDT

I 100% agree cell phone usage should not be allowed on flights. Other than terrorism there is the noise of all these people shouting into the phones. I have yet to hear anyone not raise their voice when talking on the phone.
Seperate compartments wouldn't work, there is no way an airline is going to say sorry there are no seats in the non phone area, or vice versus and if you mix them arguments would occur. We don't all want to know what Aunt Bess had for dinner!!
It's time people learnt to live without the phone for a few hours.

Collapse -
Cell phones must not be allowed during the flight
by dwrook / September 12, 2006 10:23 PM PDT

I also agree 100% that I do not need to hear annoying conversations ongoing for hours. I think if they were allowed, it would make me reconsider flying as a travel option. If these loud speaking people cannot do without meaningless coversation for a few hours, let them take another mode of travel. They are generally loud and I like to relax and try to sleep - so no thanks - please please do not even consdier allowing this to happen

Collapse -
by professor_iii / September 12, 2006 1:19 PM PDT

I agree 100%

Collapse -
by tomlegal / September 12, 2006 1:35 PM PDT

Cell phones should not be allowed on airplanes. You are closer that sardines in a can and someone wants to hold a call that you do not want to hear. If they let cell phones you should be allowed then they should let music with out head phones.

Some people can not talk low or their low is much louder than other peoples high.

NO, NO, NO TO THE USE OF CELL PHONES ON AIRPLANES. LET THE CELL PHONE REST.

Collapse -
by helenw4 / September 12, 2006 4:46 PM PDT

I agree with this person. Cell phones should not be allowed on Flights.
ONLY THE FLIGHT CREW should have it for Emergency.
It is most annoying and disturbing. Who wants to listen to their chatter.
Get rid of cell phones on planes. That is for starters.
Think Cell phones is absolutely used for the wrong purposes. If people want to chat, go home or visit who-ever you want to communicate with.
FEDUP WITH CELL PHONES ALL OVER IN PUBLIC, AUTOS, PLANES, ETC.

Collapse -
Terrorism
by infamouschris / September 12, 2006 11:37 PM PDT

Well thats not very well thought out, the thought that a phone could be used for terrorism is a good one but seeing as everything from a basic MP3 player to a digital watch could also be then ok lets jump back in the dark ages hand in all items of clothing and jewlery as we get on the flight to ensure passenger safety

Collapse -
No Need to Talk on a Phone While in the Air
by MrCommissioner / September 13, 2006 1:44 AM PDT

There is absolutely no need to use cell phones in the air during a normal flight. If you are bored, learn to read and get a book. Or color between the lines in a coloring book. Keep your ''business'' or ''important personal'' calls to yourself and wait until you are on the ground. I and nobody else needs to hear them. Plus you are probably boring the person you are talking to anyway.

We have to listen to enough of that dribble elsewhere. We don't need to hear it on a plane.

Collapse -
What the heck are you thinking?
by wresnick / September 13, 2006 7:11 AM PDT

If you don't want terrorists to use cell phones during flights, then you have to ban of cell phones on flights, not a ban on their use. Screeners have to keep them off planes, and make sure they are in checked luggage only.

I can just imagine a plane being hijacked by terrorists. They discovered how to overpower the flight crew and are killing people. They make it into the cockpit. They grab a cell phone and try to call somebody, but the flight attendant politely asks them to turn it off because there's a rule against it. "Damn, foiled again!"

Collapse -
cell phone use on airplanes
by papasy / September 12, 2006 12:14 PM PDT

The answer should be "All of the above"!!

Collapse -
cell phone use on aircraft
by Bill Coughlan / September 12, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

People already talk on planes. Some people talk too loudly, as if all would like to hear. So-- tell me the differance between that announce and many impolite loud talkers on a cell phone? People just have to be polite and keep their conversations to a normal volume, cell or face to face.

Collapse -
so they are just talking--not on a phone,though?
by Marysue / September 13, 2006 12:18 AM PDT

So, have you heard anyone on a plane--or have you, yourself used a cell phone on a plane succesfully up in the air??? HAS ANTONE HERE USED A CELL PHONE SUCCESSFULLY ON A PLANE off the ground??? So far, it seems no one here has done so. So maybe the technical stuff isn't there yet. Why isn't anyone addressing this?

Collapse -
cell phone use on aircraft
by Wsamson_7121 / September 13, 2006 2:27 PM PDT

I completely agree, Bill. Just as long as they keep it down at a normal volume, I would not have a problem with having cell phones on aircraft.

Collapse -
Cell phones are not the worst enemy
by mbavier / September 12, 2006 12:26 PM PDT

After spending more than 5 million miles in the air I can think of many offensive things. 250 pound Gold's Gym wannabees in tank tops exhibiting masses of body hair and odor. Well-dressed gentlemen chewing tobacco and spending a three hour flight spitting into a cup (in first class, yet!)
People cackling loudly and keeping up a running commentary on the insipid in-flight movie.
A cell phone is a tool. It has never been demonstrated that a cell phone disrupts any aircraft equipment.
The problem with cell phones, as with the items mentioned above, is one of human courtesy or the lack thereof.
Most (certainly not all) business travellers have learned that shouting into a phone does not improve communication. And for some of us spending many hours incommunicado can be very disruptive to our business endeavours. For this, and many other reasons, I strongly believe that the use of cell phones with appropriate restrictions to enforce some minimum courtesies should be allowed. One restriction should be the use of a headset to reduce the amount of disruption. And at all times it should be the role of the flight attendant to instruct any offender who insists on speaking at a level louder than necessary to either lower the db level or cease.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.