Computer Help forum

General discussion

IEXPLORE.EXE excessive CPU usage

by PaulPi / June 20, 2007 7:25 AM PDT

Computer works fast and well using IE after startup but then slows as surfing and printing progresses. Can hear hard drive working harder and Task Mgr shows IEXPLORE.EXE using 100% of CPU usage in cycles, especially when opening aol webmail, and when printing from browser using HP Laserjet 1100. PF usage which is generally around 300 mb until cycling starts spikes to 430-468. Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IEXPLORE.EXE excessive CPU usage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IEXPLORE.EXE excessive CPU usage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iexplore.exe
by batman823 / June 28, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplore/

This site can run a scan to determine if the iexplore.exe is the right one or not.

But your 'memory' warning may mean that you are running more programs than your RAM can support. You can easily add RAM to your PC. Also, clear out the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder. You can also allot more of your HD for 'virtual memory' to suppliment the RAM that you have.
Collapse -
Warning.
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2009 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: iexplore.exe

FWIW I repeat a warning by one of our members:
"This is a total scam website. They do a BS scan, and "find" all kids of problems that can then only be fixed by purchasing their software. I suspect removing their garbage is what cause my problems in the first place. This is no different that the spammers who send you a virus and the fix at the same time. Just log in and pay them. Don't ever purchase anything from companies that market like this."

I agree that most registry cleaners that find hundreds of socalled errors are a scam.

Kees

Collapse -
may be dll
by Frentix / June 29, 2007 6:47 PM PDT

any luck so far?

I'm not one for trying lengthy processes to fix small problems but try running a system file check. Open the run menu and type:

SFC /SCANNOW

You'll need your windows cd and basically it replaces any out of place or modified system files, and is completely harmless. It's about all I can suggest without a little more background (when did the problem start, did you install something, etc).

Collapse -
MDM.exe may be your culprit.
by TWorrell / August 7, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

I've been fighting high CPU utilization (caused by iexplore.exe) and looking for answers (I use XP-SP2, IE7, AMD, HP laptop). After reading many many posts I found a suspect in MDM.exe (Microsoft Debug Manager). By checking "Disable Script Debugging" in Internet Explorer>Tools>Options>advanced (3 different check boxes) and killing the process in Task Manger - I've found the Internet explorer is many times faster and GMAIL works much much smoother. "Ajax" pages (like gmail) seem to cause the poblem. I most often came up with the 99% CPU (iexplore.exe) when exiting gmail. It seems to be fixed.

If you need to use script debugging, turn it on and monitor Task Manger.

Collapse -
Your fix for mdm.exe: That's easier and probably safer than
by drpruner / August 9, 2007 3:18 PM PDT

Microsoft's suggestion, in their Support article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q221438/
which recommends editing the registry.

Excerpt:
"After all running instances of Mdm.exe are ended and no longer listed within Task Manager, you can delete any of the TMP files from the root of the Windows directory without affecting either the Microsoft Script Editor or Mdm.exe. The effect of taking this step is that remote debugging is disabled, provided that an instance of Mdm.exe is not started at the time an error is encountered. However, if another application reinstalls Mdm.exe, or if Mdm.exe /Regserver is run on a computer that is running Window 95 or Windows 98, Mdm.exe is re-added to the RunServices registry key (see above for full path)."

In my case, I'm still using 98se, so I did some other things that helped my speed. If you Start/Run/"msconfig" and then go to Startup on that screen you can find a list of programs that are running- background or foreground- every time you start Windows. I was able to uncheck several programs, per this thread:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=257212&messageID=2550977#2550977

especially here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=257212&messageID=2550926#2550926
I recommend that all Windows users (is that like "drug users"?) bookmark the Ultimate Troubleshooter site whether or not you buy their program. (I haven't)
The UT is AFAIK a good program; it probably does the registry changes itself. But many problems can be eliminated by a simple uncheck somewhere. Note though that we may have to keep an eye on things if mdm.exe or another is put back in play, per Microsoft above.

Sidebar on 98:
You can slso uncheck Critical Update and related things once you have bled Microsoft dry on any posted updates, because 98 isn't getting any new support. (98 wasn't broke- finally- so they fixed it ... twice. Happy )

Hope this helps more than one person. This is a good Forum.

Collapse -
Sorry, folks. Here's a more useful link.
by drpruner / August 9, 2007 3:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
iexplore.exe showing up in Task Manager using up to 90% CPU.
by RickShore / August 23, 2009 9:01 AM PDT

Okay, I've seen everyone in the world talking about this...
If your system hangs, Windows XP, and/or is very slow, and you do a Contro/Alt/Del to call up Task Manager and watch the active processes..you see iexplore.exe (Microsoft Internet Explorer) is using up to 90 CPU power (but you don't even have the software running?
That is the issue I tackled for four days now. Being an old DOS even CP/M fellow (pre-dos), I tried every program out there today...SpyBot, MicroTrend, Ad-Aware, etc.
McAfee download from my AOL, finally give me a hint, and I think I found the sucker. A block warning box kept coming in as McAfee scanner was running. It kept talking about "C:\Program Files\scvhostsvchost.exe trying to access the system and or dial out!
I used Windows Explorer to look (my normal setting is to see hidden files). There it was! A directory in Program Files called SVCHOST, with two files in it. I knew this Svchost should not be in the program files directory. I rebooted, because it would not let me delete it...in Safe Mode Command Prompt (F8 as system is starting). Went typing directly to the directory, deleted the .exe and .dat file found there and the directory name (Svchost). When I rebooted normally, iexplore.exe was never again in the Tack Manager Processes list...unless I ran it.
I think this is the answer to what everyone has been talking about.
Look for the HIDDEN directory with two files in Program Files that is Hidden. Svchost. Delete it!
Reboot.
Eric Shore
Publisher
Miami News
P.S. I hope this made it go away for good. Don't know how I got it on three system notebooks...obviously, someone is trying to make folks lives miserable enough to uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer and use another browser. ******** out there!

Collapse -
a hiding trojaner
by _timklemt_ / October 24, 2009 12:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
BE CAREFUL ABOUT DELETING SVCHOST.EXE
by bcourts / December 5, 2009 5:14 AM PST

Various sources state that deleting svchost.exe may make your computer unbootable.

FOR INSTANCE, FROM http://ask-leo.com/svchost_and_svchostexe_crashs_cpu_maximization_viruses_exploits_and_more.html

Let me tell you what it is not: On Windows XP, 2000, and 2003, svchost is not a virus. On those systems, svchost is a required system component. If you happen to successfully delete it, your system will not run. You'll be much worse off than before.

Do not delete svchost.exe. Don't even think about it.

Svchost, which is short for "service host", is a core part of the operating system that provides support to many of the required services that are Windows.

Svchost.exe is frequently spoofed by viruses attempting to hide. The official copy should be in your Windows\system32 folder, but there may be others.

FROM http://ask-leo.com/where_is_it_alright_for_svchostexe_to_be.html

Those four locations [C:\Windows\System32, C:Windows\ServicePackFile\i386, C:\windows\$NtServicePackUnistall$ and C:\I386] are all valid places to find a file called "svchost.exe". Note that only one of them, C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe, should actually be running. The rest are various forms of backup associated with installing and upgrading Windows.

So what if you find a svchost.exe somewhere else? It could be the result of a virus. Your very first step should always be to run an up-to-date anti-virus scan. Most will take care of the problem safely.

CONFIRMATION FROM http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-svchost-exe

Svchost.exe is a process on your computer that hosts, or contains, other individual services that Windows uses to perform various functions. For example, Windows Defender uses a service that is hosted by a svchost.exe process.

There can be multiple instances of svchost.exe running on your computer, with each instance containing different services. One instance of svchost.exe might host a single service for a program, and another instance might host several services related to Windows.

Collapse -
IE.exe "can" be a trojan
by ndabunka / July 21, 2010 7:59 AM PDT

If you are seeing slow browser response and/or noticing frequent hard drive activity...you PROBABLY have this TROJAN horse virus. Malwarebytes is a VERY well respected program on this website as well as nearly EVERY other site I can think of. It IS free and it WILL clean the IE.exe "trojan0style" virus from your PC ...FOR FREE (really FREE).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.