Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE9 Browser choice

by netsiu / April 25, 2011 12:58 PM PDT

Downloaded and installed IE9, then uninstalled it.
Several issues I had but main one was being forced to use Bing. I try the new ones that come up, comparing them to Google and still find the results in Google are more accurate to my search term than all others. Especially Bing.
Any way to change the default search engine? I looked all over but may have missed something.
Which is one other complaint. Some settings are placed differently and some are even hidden by this link to that link to some other place. It's like they put in the security setting but made them hard to find.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE9 Browser choice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE9 Browser choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be easy
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 25, 2011 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: IE9 Browser choice

In IE9, (same for IE8), goto Tools > Manage Add-ons. Click the "Search Providers" option in the left hand list.

At the bottom of the window, click the "Find more search providers" option. A new window will open with a list of different Search providers. Select Google then "Click to install" and this should add Google to the list in the Add-ons window. Then disable Bing and enable Google.

Collapse -
Search Window
by netsiu / April 27, 2011 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Should be easy

OK! Finally had time to reinstall IE9 and did the Google Default, enabled, Not Available, Bing disabled, disabled.

I don't know what "Top result" is but Bing was Enabled all others Not Available. Bing is now Disabled all others are still Not Available, no other choice.

Main question is; Where's the search window? From the help window: <i> How do I perform a search?

There are several ways to perform a search. One way is to type in
the search box at the top of any open window
or in the search box on the Start menu. When you start typing, the search begins
You can also use the Search folder:</i>

No search box and I can't find any thing that will put one up there.

Collapse -
Very interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 27, 2011 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Search Window

It's a concern that Google search hasn't worked. Can you confirm that you 'added' Google to your list of search providers and that in "Manage Add-ons > Search providers" you now have Bing & Google listed?

If so, right click the Google entry in the search providers list and select, "Move up". This should make it #1 in the Listing Order.

Now, highlight Bing, right click, and select, "Disable suggestions". Don't worry if "Top result" for Google still shows 'Not available'. I don't know what that is either.

Highlight Google and select "Search in the address bar" option at the bottom of the window. Click Close.

Now see if any search terms typed into the address bar create a Google list. I always use ISS as the test search term, (International Space Station).

I do not know, and I cannot find, IE's Search window. My Firefox browser has the option to Customise toolbars and in that I can add a search window. IE seems to have left that out.

See if that does it.

Collapse -
Very Interesting. But very frustrating also.
by netsiu / April 27, 2011 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Very interesting.

Yes. The search in address bar worked.
Makes me feel Microsoft is run by the Obama administration.
"New and improved means just more confusion and frustration!"

Thank You very much!

Collapse -
Google Tool Bar
by gkamer / May 1, 2011 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Search Window

Download and install Google Tool bar. This will install the Google search box and a couple of other tools. Watch carefully during install as it may want to install something you really don't want it to.

Collapse -
Google ToolBar
by netsiu / May 1, 2011 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Google Tool Bar
Google or any other tool bar would be a last resort only unless you like to be monitored everywhere on the internet you go.

Read post #4. Mark answered the question.

I'm working with it. Just feels odd searching from address bar.
Collapse -
Good respone
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Google ToolBar

I would have replied similar had you not beaten me to it.

Collapse -
Use the Tools icon
by paul_saute / April 29, 2011 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: IE9 Browser choice
Any way to change the default search engine?

Click the Tools button (looks like a GEAR at the top right of the IE9 window) and then click Manage Add-ons.

Select Search engines option

Select Google (if you see it), otherwise, at the bottom of the window, click Find more Search Engines. and add Google

After selecting Google, click on Default search engine

When you are finished, click Close.
Collapse -
ie9 google not available error msg
by ls6vette / September 18, 2012 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Use the Tools icon

I've been using ie9 and google for months & now for no known reason ie9 tells me google is not available. I have gone thru all the above suggestions re: the add ons fix to no avail.

Other suggestions?

Collapse -
There are new advisories out for IE. More at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 8:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
ie9 and google
by ls6vette / September 18, 2012 11:57 AM PDT

I still have google available after I clear the msg boxes.

The msg says that something corrupted the google default setting and directs me to tools / add-ons/ search engine default.

Tells me to reset it, but when I click on google & default it top choice says unavailable.

Should I reinstall ie9?

Happens every time I open ie9.

vista 64bit ie9

Collapse -
Your choice. My choice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: ie9 and google

Is to use something else. Did you try IE9 with no add ons?

Collapse -
ie9 google
by ls6vette / September 18, 2012 12:20 PM PDT

you mean just delete them all?

Here is the full msg

Internet explorer -search engine defaults

A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for ie9

Ie9 has reset this setting to your original search provider yahoo....

ie9 will now open service provider settings where you can change this setting or install more search providers

I tried del google & reload from the apps selection but it does'nt go "active" in the ie9 listing of search providers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.