Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE8 Will Not Open - Windows Can't Connect HTTP, HTTPS or FTP

by mike281 / May 20, 2010 10:53 AM PDT

Five and one-half year old Dell 4600 P4. Machine had been very slow. Now will not connect to IE8. AOL Internet connection is OK. Msg "Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. Probably caused by Firewall Setting. Check settings HTTP port(80), HTTPS port(443) and FTP port (21)."
On Control Panel\Windows Firewall\Advanced\Restore Option\Restore Defaults I get a warning that deleting settings will cause some programs not to work.
I have been told that i need to do an XP Reinstall anyway. (i have no 'repair' option on my machine.) At this point i am tempted to go ahead with Restore Defaults in Firewall Connections and see if it helps, because if it does not i have to reinstall XP anyway.
I know i will loose all data, so i am backing up to CDs, and have collected all my install CDs for various applications. I can back up to an outside service like also. I have made a copy of my C:\Program Files listing so i don't loose track of what i had.
If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to configure my firewall settings, i'd appreciate that info, so i can try it before i 'pull the plug' on XP.
Thanx! Mike Briody, Staten Island

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE8 Will Not Open - Windows Can't Connect HTTP, HTTPS or FTP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE8 Will Not Open - Windows Can't Connect HTTP, HTTPS or FTP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 11:12 AM PDT

Some antivirus suite expired and killed off the internet connection. Can you tell more?

Collapse -
IE8 Will not open
by mike281 / May 20, 2010 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Or

I am using AVG Free Antivirus and i have been updating as necessary. I am also running Malwarebytes Advanced System Care.

Collapse -
Tell us more about this - Malwarebytes Advanced System Care
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 8:16 PM PDT
In reply to: IE8 Will not open

I can't find any listing for it.

There's Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, a free anti-malware scanner that we often recommend in these forums, and there is Advanced System Care, a general purpose optimiser and registry cleaner which we would not normally recommend, because of the danger of changing settings and deleting registry entries that can cause system problems.

So what is it you have installed?

About IE. Are you saying that IE will not open at all? If so, what is the full error message you see when you try to open it?

Is this a Home Page that fails to load, or is it that IE simply does not open?

With IE there are a couple of things you can try;

1] Goto Start > Control Panel, then Internet Options. This will open IE's Tools > Internet Options dialog.

In there under the General tab, delete the Home Page that is listed, or click the "Use Blank" button. Click Apply/OK, then try opening IE again.

2] If IE opens, try surfing, eg try typing into the address bar. If that fails, goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Connections tab, and click the "Lan settings" button. If there are any entries under Proxy server, remove that tick, then tick the "Automatically detect settings" option. Click OK/Apply/OK, close down IE and try again.

3] If step 2 fails but IE still opens, try a "Reset" of IE. This is Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, then the Reset button. Beware, this resets IE back to default and may lose your Favorites, Cookies, History, and any login/passwords that are saved in IE. But it also removes all 3rd party add-ons, that those may be preventing IE from working properly. You can export IE's Favorites before resetting, then import them back afterwards, but everything else may be lost.

See if any of that helps.

Collapse -
IE8 Opening Problem
by mike281 / May 21, 2010 11:29 AM PDT

Hi Mark!
Well, the third method that you suggested, using RESET did work!
I have IE8 back and it will bring up web sites that i want! It does say 'About Blank', when it opens, but when i clear that and type a search into that space it does take me to the correct web site. (can i change the 'about blank? or is it better left alone? Also, if i type in a URL works properly.
Thank you very much for your help! I'm SO GLAD that i don't have to do a reinstall of XP!

Collapse -
Great news, and well done for fixing it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2010 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: IE8 Opening Problem

Yes that's great Mike.

That About:Blank is likely because I asked you to delete your Home Page. You can soon fix that if you want. Goto a page that you want as your Home Page, then goto Tools > Internet Options, and under the General tab in the Home Page section, just click the "Use current" button. That will set the page you are on as your Home Page.

Just a note though. I've not tested this but I believe browsers nowadays can have more than one Home Page, so if you only want the one to open when you run IE, make sure there are no other IE tabs open, and/or no other IE windows open when you click that "Use current" button.

Good luck.

Collapse -
AVG Anti-Virus
by mike281 / May 20, 2010 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Or

I am running version 9.0.819 which i think is the latest Update. My search online tonite shows some earlier versions like 9.0.730.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.