Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

IE7 won't let me download anything anymore!!!

by gardengirl621 / July 31, 2007 9:46 PM PDT

One day I was downloading some wallpaper and the very next day I wanted to download something else and now I can't. The dialog box only shows cancel on it. It does not show run,save or open anymore. Just out of the blue it quit working. No matter what website I try to download from nothing happens. Internet explorer keeps saying that there is a problem with the website,which is hard to believe that all websites are having trouble at the same time. I have ran a virus scan,spyware, deleted temp. internet files and nothing seems to help fix the problem. I have a Dell Dimension E520 Desktop pc with Intel pentium D processor 820 with Dual-core technology and Windows Vista Home Basic. Can anyone Help me???? Thanks!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7 won't let me download anything anymore!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7 won't let me download anything anymore!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
gardengirl621
by tomron / August 1, 2007 8:40 AM PDT

Try internet options>security tab>web content zone>custom level>under download options for file download select enable.

You can revert back to IE6.Also after this is solved you might consider trying FIREFOX

Tom

Collapse -
IE7 won't let me download anymore
by gardengirl621 / August 1, 2007 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: gardengirl621

Tom, I did what you said to do and I still can't download anything. When the dialog box appears the Open and Open folder buttons are gosted out. It gives the appearence that it is transfering the download from the little globe to the file but it stays at zero percent. Also I can not revert back to IE6 because when I bought my PC in April IE7 was already preinstalled with the Vista operating system. Thanks, Carol

Collapse -
Carol
by tomron / August 1, 2007 10:22 AM PDT

Try installing and using IEFix with "Safe Mode with Networking',you know,tapping F8.

When this is solved I suggest you install fire fox(link already provided)

Tom

Collapse -
Tom
by gardengirl621 / August 2, 2007 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Carol

Where can I find that IE Fix you are talking about? Carol

Collapse -
(NT) Hint. CLICK on the IEFix word above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2007 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom
Collapse -
Tom
by gardengirl621 / August 3, 2007 3:45 AM PDT

I got this message--Internet explorer was not able to open this internet site. Site is either unavailable or can not be found when I tried to install iefix. I don't know if this means anything, but this whole thing started after I received a bunch of windows updates on July 21st. and one update was kb933566 which is an IE update. Carol

Collapse -
Carol
by tomron / August 3, 2007 5:09 AM PDT

There are known issues kb933566,check these links HERE and HERE

Tom

Collapse -
Tom
by gardengirl621 / August 8, 2007 8:56 PM PDT

I just want to thank you for all your help. The way I have solved my problem was to create another user account and deleted the old one. With the new account I was able to download again, so I downloaded Firefox and everything is alright so far. The problem and solution program told me that my problem with IE7 was caused by a browser add-on.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it solved
by tomron / August 8, 2007 10:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
IE7 won't let me download anything anymore!!!
by joseph_4 / December 19, 2012 6:42 PM PST

Thanks for this post, i will try that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.