Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE7 maxes out CPU - occasionally

by gschelz / November 29, 2008 4:02 AM PST

Dear geeks, experts, etc,

I have a P4 2.4GHz computer with 2GB RAM and plenty of free hard drive space (about 500 gigs) running fully updated XP and IE7. I have Norton Internet Security 2008 running - and showing green everywhere. The only BHO running on IE7 is Symantec stuff.

Under normal surfing conditions (like now) my CPU meter shows about 10% usage (after a jump when going from page to page). However some pages (such as this one at Best Buy shoots it up to 60% CPU usage and it stays there until I close the page. If I duplicate the page, the computer really grinds to a halt.

The only process I see running (gt 1%) is iexplore.exe.

I have tried disabling Flash and Java, but it makes no difference. The funny thing is, I don't see much happening on this particular page, animations etc. I would expect to have more problems at the home page of BestBuy as that would be the busiest, I think. Some are also slowing the CPU, but not all like this.

The available memory stays at 1.3GB.

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7 maxes out CPU - occasionally
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7 maxes out CPU - occasionally
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try it without 'Symantec stuff'.
by Kees Bakker / November 29, 2008 4:57 AM PST

Any difference?

Collapse -
Also, try a different browser.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 29, 2008 5:26 AM PST

I just tried that web site with Firefox, and apart from the expected surge on the web page changing, cpu usage settled down to normal.

What is that Symantec BHO, and what does it do?

Collapse -
Try it without 'Symantec stuff'.
by gschelz / November 29, 2008 7:50 AM PST

Well, it improved - to 55% CPU instead of 60%, with no BHOs running. All disabled.

I guess I could try a different browser to see whether it worked better on my system, but I'd hate to change browsers because of this.

Thanks - g

Collapse -
Re: CPU usage high on one site
by Kees Bakker / November 30, 2008 5:06 AM PST

If it happens on your machine only (easy to check if you've got access to more than one machine and friends and family and colleagues to ask - all we know at the moment is that it doesn't happen with Mark and me) it must be something on your machine. I only mentioned Symantec because that's the only detail you told.

Things to try:
- Uninstall ALL of Symantec software (easy to reinstall).
- Try Firefox or Chrome, just for diagnostic purposes if you don't like it. Both are free and easily uninstalled.
- Boot in Safe Mode with network access

Collapse -
Re: CPU usage high on one site
by gschelz / November 30, 2008 6:03 AM PST

OK, I checked it out on my wife's laptop (athlon dual core 1.9 GHz with 2 GB memory) and had a similar sympton - one of the cores jumped up to 25% usage from less than 5%, and stayed there. She also has the Norton installed.

I'll try your other suggestions over the next 24 hours, thanks - g

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.